Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

RR: 6hr MTB team challenge @ kooralbyn

Started by Tamyka Bell · · Last activity · 4 posts · 497 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
6 November 2005
Last activity
7 November 2005
Original author
Tamyka Bell
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
497
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'll do a full report on my blog sometime tomorrow (I need sleep!) so if
    you're interested, check http://blindrapture.blogspot.com/

    I entered the 6 hr race with my mate Kurt, who guided me through the more
    technical bits of the cycle epic, and wheelsucked when we hit the roads.
    It's been pissing down rain in Brisbane for a few days and this morning
    was hot and rainy. We joked about cancelling, but as we arrived in
    Kooralbyn, the sky miraculously cleared.

    We each did six laps, first a single each, then a double lap each (during
    the heat of the day, which was incredibly stupid, and next time we will do
    the doubles first - good for course familiarisation) and then finishing
    with a single each. Kurt did 33-35 minutes per lap and I did 38-41 minutes
    per lap; a hell of a lot better than I expected and placed us 5th in the
    mixed category. (To make us sound cooler - first and second place went to
    pro adventure race people and to Guy Andrews... and we were only a 10
    minutes down on 3rd place.) I have only been on my MTB once since Epic and
    I really wasn't expecting to ride so well.

    The course was awesome - a bit scary in places but nothing that I
    couldn't do, and the climbs were challenging but do-able. I liked riding
    past people up the hills and some of the spectators cheered me on heaps
    for this. Then I let people ride past me on the lead up to some technical
    bits because I'm a bit of a gumby.

    I caught up with some people from the MTB marathon back in ?March? When I
    was checking out times, the guy from Gap Cycles recognised me from the ADF
    road champs earlier this year and said, "Not bad for an Army roadie..."
    and I said, "Hey, I'm not even a real roadie yet, I'm still on the
    conversion course from triathlete." He thought that was an even bigger
    achievement.

    Heaps of people were taking it very seriously, but then again there was a
    guy with spokey dokeys (woohoo!); only one guy was rude on the course and
    everyone else was really supportive. There were some incredibly
    impressive riders, including my good mate Hamish who came 3rd 😄 and one
    girl who was incredibly fast but made really weird grunting noises as she
    rode.

    I saw a guy come in running with his bike, rear derailleur hanging free.
    After he'd dumped it and passed the race number to the next guy, I asked
    him how far he'd run... it was about 4.5km - from the furthest point of
    the course. I suggested conversion to adventure racing but it turns out
    he's a triathlete. (Obviously one of the good ones as he preferred a MTB
    race to the Noosa tri-to-rip-everyone-off-lon.)

    I have to give a huge thanks to Lotte who, as most of you know, is a great
    MTBer and trained me up for the Epic. Apparently some of what she said has
    sunk in 🙂

  2. Congratulations on the result, Tam (and Kurt) - sounds like you had a blast!

    Was the course muddy at all? The only 6 hour race I've ever done was at Mapleton and it was so muddy we ended up having to walk/run through a 100m mud bath which left us with mud up to our ankles. It didn't get any better throughout the race either...

    Thanks for the mention, but I really haven't done anything - you're the one that's been riding over sh!t!

    Speaking of which, I haven't been on my mtb since we last rode, which I think was back in August. Terrible.

    Glad you had a good time.

    Lotte

  3. Tam wrote:
    [quote="Tamyka Bell"]I'll do a full report on my blog sometime tomorrow (I need sleep!) so if
    you're interested, check http://blindrapture.blogspot.com/

    I entered the 6 hr race with my mate Kurt, who guided me through the more
    technical bits of the cycle epic, and wheelsucked when we hit the roads.
    It's been pissing down rain in Brisbane for a few days and this morning
    was hot and rainy. We joked about cancelling, but as we arrived in
    Kooralbyn, the sky miraculously cleared.
    [snip]
    QUOTE]

    Nice one! Glad you got to race with the [censored] weather we've been having - it rained all day in Brisbane.

    Must be time for another MTB ride sometime soon, especially if Lotte hasn't been out for ages! I've finally fixed my MTB after the epic too (new 9 speed stuff) so I'm good to go.

    Adam

  4. LotteBum said:


    Congratulations on the result, Tam (and Kurt) - sounds like you had a
    blast!

    We did. Oh, except when I came in after one lap to find that, despite me
    saying, "I don't think I can do two in a row," he had gone to get a
    massage. *grumble*

    Quoted message said:

    Was the course muddy at all? The only 6 hour race I've ever done was
    at Mapleton and it was so muddy we ended up having to walk/run through
    a 100m mud bath which left us with mud up to our ankles. It didn't get
    any better throughout the race either...

    It was a bit muddy for the first few hours but nothing that wasn't
    rideable - even a few little sharp climbs out of the mud weren't really
    a problem. Mostly the rain had just held the dust down so it made the
    course pretty fast. When it dried out, it got slippery!

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for the mention, but I really haven't done anything - you're the
    one that's been riding over sh!t!

    Sure you haven't 😉

    Quoted message said:

    Speaking of which, I haven't been on my mtb since we last rode, which I
    think was back in August. Terrible.

    You know that ride we did just before Epic? Well since then I did Epic,
    and then last weekend I did a short ride in Karawatha (which barely
    counts as MTBing...) Yes we have to get started again. I hear Adam85 is
    also interested. Maybe Abby will get a bike for Christmas?

    Tam

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.