Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Road bike for a big guy (250 lbs)

Started by dyc · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,498 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
14 June 2003
Last activity
14 June 2003
Original author
dyc
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,498
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. As I did last Summer, I would like to ride 100 or so miles per week this Spring and Summer to lose some of this excess weight. My one and only century in October was memorable for two things: (1) I finished; and (2) I did so on some pretty horrible wheels after more than one spoke blew out along the way. The Trek 320 won't do it any more. Am I wrong in thinking that a touring bike--like a Trek 520--that is built for loaded touring will be a good solution that will allow me to spend more time on the bike and less time waiting for the wheels to be fixed? Thanks.

  2. buy a light MTB and set it up with skinny tyres

  3. The main thing to watch out for (which you have found out the hard way) is the strength of the wheels/tyres.

    I've heard of a number of people around that weight with normal road bikes (even some with lightweight C'dale and Trek OCLV frames etc.) that have no real problems -- BUT, they put strong wheels on with 36 spoke wheels, wider tyres, etc.

    You could also do the MTB/slick tyre thing, but if you're going to ride on paved surfaces you may as well enjoy the efficiency, long-ride comfort and higher gearing of a road bike.

  4. I weigh 124 Kg and use a Trek 7200 Hybrid. It gives you the speed (almost) of a road bike with a frame similar to a Mtb with the relaxed position. I have done many kilo's on this bike . had my problems in the beginning with breaking spokes but had the original spokes replaced with double butted DT Swiss. No more problems and a beauty to ride. Spending to much time on the Tandem though.

    Big H

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.