Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Ritchey "Break-Away" bike -- opinions?

Started by Matt O'Toole · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,329 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
20 April 2003
Last activity
20 April 2003
Original author
Matt O'Toole
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,329
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was just looking at Ritchey's new folding bike:

    ritcheylogic.combabmain.htm

    It's an appealing idea, but that downtube/BB junction doesn't look too solid to me, despite claims
    of being 5x stronger than a normal welded joint. Any ideas?

    Matt O.

  2. Matt O'Toole said:

    I was just looking at Ritchey's new folding bike:

    ritcheylogic.combabmain.htm

    It's an appealing idea, but that downtube/BB junction doesn't look too solid to me, despite claims
    of being 5x stronger than a normal welded joint. Any ideas?

    Matt O.

    I'd rather have S&S couplings on my bike - definitely stronger than the metal it replaces (they have
    pictures showing the metal failing during stress tests and the couplings unscathed), super solid,
    failry light (even lighter if you dish out for the titanium ones!), low profile, and fairly well
    proven. Plus, they can be retrofitted.

    Jon Bond

  3. Jonathan Bond <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I'd rather have S&S couplings on my bike - definitely stronger than the metal it replaces (they
    have pictures showing the metal failing during stress tests and the couplings unscathed), super
    solid, failry light (even lighter if you dish out for the titanium ones!), low profile, and fairly
    well proven. Plus, they can be retrofitted.

    I won't argue the merits of a frame with S&S couplers - I own one that I am very happy with - BUT
    you can't overlook the fact that the Breakaway is a production frame that's likely to be half to 2/3
    the price of a custom coupled frame.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.