Riding without shoes is now illegal

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
There is an ordinance in our town that prohibits riding without wearing shoes, motorcycles or bicycles. The reason is for safety since most accidents involve the injury on the feet. With shoes, the feet will be somehow protected during a crash. But come to think of it, isn't it difficult to ride when you are wearing slippers? Especially for a long ride, wearing shoes is not only for safety but also for comfort.

Shoes were created to protect the feet, and so far they've been doing their job. We don't have like an ordinance or law about wearing shoes while riding here, however, I've never seen anyone doing it around, and I live in a tropical country where for sure the heat can make you ride barefoot. Maybe that depends on the culture and customs of the people, they may feel more free when they ride without shoes, but anyway that expose the feet to serious accidents and consequences, so I guess is not so crazy to demand to wear shoes at any time while riding.

I suppose there was a reason for creating the ordinance?

I like to strip off to swim shorts and ride in the rain, occasionally. I did it one time with bare feet. The pedals have short pointy spikes for shoes to grip on, and it was painful without shoes. Flip flops are okay for that, but sneakers are better.

Many years ago when I was a teen, and rode a motorcycle, one of our guys liked to ride his motorcycle in bare feet, and he'd walk around like that. Then one night, we were in an amusement arcade when he walked in and accidentally kicked a wire crate that held sodas. I've never seen so much blood in my life. Shoes are a good idea!

Incidentally, while riding with a wild pack on motorcycles, I took a sharp curve a bit too hard. I was wearing chisel-toe boots, and the point of the boot touched the road and ripped the sole off. That could have been my toes.

I can understand why the ordinance was made if people have been getting hurt because of bare feet. Who pays their medical bills?

Last edited:
Don't really see the extra safety offered by shoes since at the very best it can only protect you from superficial cuts and bruises, but you're not protected from anything worse. Maybe it's still for public image, just like how there are public indecency violations.

Is the ordinance for your town only or for the whole country? I agree with @treecko142 that it won't offer that much protection. It would make the cyclist more comfortable riding though. The most that it can protect are some minor wounds but won't protect the feet that much from breaking if there is a crash.

Don't really see the extra safety offered by shoes since at the very best it can only protect you from superficial cuts and bruises, but you're not protected from anything worse...
Heavy leather boots with steel toecaps are the way to go! :)

Hi! The shoes were invented in order to protect you. I understand that you live in some hot tropical country. Of course, this may force you to ride without shoes because you are too hot or uncomfortable.

There is an ordinance in our town that prohibits riding without wearing shoes, motorcycles or bicycles. The reason is for safety since most accidents involve the injury on the feet. With shoes, the feet will be somehow protected during a crash. But come to think of it, isn't it difficult to ride when you are wearing slippers? Especially for a long ride, wearing shoes is not only for safety but also for comfort.
You are soooo right, hopefully we will have the same type of law in my part the world...