Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

ride to work (and hit a ped)

Started by Zebee Johnstone · · Last activity · 2 posts · 471 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
4 October 2006
Last activity
5 October 2006
Original author
Zebee Johnstone
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
471
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well... I did ride to work, and I didn't hit a ped, but wasn't for
    want of them trying to commit suicide on the buzzsaw!

    I'm sort of used to them wandering across Kent St but at least they
    mostly look.

    But today I saw peds where I haven't seen any before, and the 2 who
    crossed near me (at different places) neither of them looked my way at
    all.

    They just wandered onto the road. One looked the other way the whole
    time, the other looked the other way, then at the ground.

    The first one walked through stopped cars in the right hand lane of a
    two lane road, yours truly coming up the left hand lane. This was the
    one looking to her right the entire time. A yell from me, and she
    looked straight at me as she kept walking. Then as I hit the picks
    hard and got ready to swerve, eyes got through to brain and she
    stopped. She gave me a blank look, a sort of "I have left my
    sentience somewhere in the coffee cup this morning" look.

    Second time, was a quite deserted road, which usually is deserted. No
    cars, no peds, no bikes. Ghost road. So I presume expectations
    happened - she didn't expect to see anyone and didn't. She looked to
    her left, and then looked to the left again, forgot the "look right"
    bit, substituting "look down". A yell and she reacted a little faster
    than #1 and stopped. I called "thank you" and went on my way.

    A few more bikes on the road than usual, most of them passing me 🙂
    Not all though, I caught a couple so I must be getting better.

    Gave someone a ride of the bent at the North Sydney breakfast and had
    another bod sit on it. The rider was not a cyclist, I think she was
    part of the organisers. She wanted to get the exercise but was scared of
    traffic. Liked the comfort of the bent but I don't think she'd have been
    willing to ride any bike in traffic. The other tester was a Canadian
    gent who thought it interesting but didn't have a ride.

    A few good conversations then off to work.

    Zebee

  2. Zebee Johnstone said:

    Well... I did ride to work, and I didn't hit a ped, but wasn't for
    want of them trying to commit suicide on the buzzsaw!

    I'm sort of used to them wandering across Kent St but at least they
    mostly look.

    But today I saw peds where I haven't seen any before, and the 2 who
    crossed near me (at different places) neither of them looked my way at
    all.

    You know that on RTWD they're worth triple points?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.