Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

RFI:Chris King headset bearing removal

Started by kwalters · · Last activity · 4 posts · 649 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
31 August 2004
Last activity
2 September 2004
Original author
kwalters
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
649
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. CK 1" threadless - do I need a special tool to remove
    the bearings from the cups? The headset is green and I
    want it silver; I'm told Oven Off works well for removing
    anodizing, but am concerned about damaging the bearings
    if I don't remove them first.

    Any help appreciated. Thanks. Ken

  2. kwalters said:

    CK 1" threadless - do I need a special tool to remove
    the bearings from the cups? The headset is green and I
    want it silver; I'm told Oven Off works well for removing
    anodizing, but am concerned about damaging the bearings
    if I don't remove them first.

    Any help appreciated. Thanks. Ken


    FWIW, I did overhaul my CK 1" threadless headset and got the bearings
    out of the cups. I didn't want to do this as all I wanted to do was wash
    out the old grease and put new grease in. I didn't know lock ring could
    be removed using a pin knife and thus exposing the bearings.

    The special tools I used to separate the bearings from the cups were one
    rubber mallet and one hefty screwdriver. You need to angle the
    screwdriver into the seam of the bearing cup and pound away with the
    rubber mallet. As the cup sleeve begins to separate you'll have to
    rotate the screwdriver's position relative to the cup sleeve separation
    angle to get more leverage to pound away with. When the sleeve is free
    of the bearing cup the little ball bearings plop right out.

    Putting the headset back together is another matter. It's not easy
    without a mechanical press. You'll need to find a tool which can press
    down on the cup with equal force. Something like a good table vise would
    probably work.

    I don't recommend taking apart a CK headset unless you're a pro with pro
    tools. I got lucky putting mine back together. Will never attempt it
    again. The following link may be very useful.

    http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

    Good Luck
    Kenny Lee

  3. kwalters <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    CK 1" threadless - do I need a special tool to remove
    the bearings from the cups? The headset is green and I
    want it silver; I'm told Oven Off works well for removing
    anodizing, but am concerned about damaging the bearings
    if I don't remove them first.

    Any help appreciated. Thanks. Ken

    I've been told that Easy-Off will leave grey blotches on aluminum
    which will require further buffing. I'd say you should just sand the
    portions you want silver with 600 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper. I did
    this with a set of Campy BMX cranks and they came out fine.

    Jeff

  4. Quoted message said:

    this with a set of Campy BMX cranks and they came out fine.

    What the... Campy BMX cranks?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.