Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Retroflective tape comparison (prismatic vs. glass bead)

Started by Thomas Hood · · Last activity · 3 posts · 777 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
31 May 2007
Last activity
2 June 2007
Original author
Thomas Hood
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
777
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Bought a couple of metres of white 3M Diamond Grade tape (
    http://tinyurl.com/2btshb ) to trim my bike with. Thought I'd take a
    picture with standard 3M Scotchlite tape (couldn't find the tech spec)
    alongside:

    http://tinyurl.com/yus73t
    (click on the magnifying glass in top right to see full-size image)

    The Diamond tape on left is applied to a 1/4 circumference of a rim.
    The photo was taken with facing down into my cellar with camera set at
    400mm f8.0 1/1000s ISO 80 (i.e. the least exposure possible).

    The improved brightness of the Diamond tape is very apparent
    (highlights are clipped despite the exposure) both in the picture and
    in 'real-life'.

    Tom

    P.S. I believe http://www.reflexite.co.uk/ make something similar (and
    claim to have invented it), but I was unable to acquire a sensible
    quantity of it to test.

  2. Thomas Hood said:

    Bought a couple of metres of white 3M Diamond Grade tape (http://tinyurl.com/2btshb) to trim my bike with. Thought I'd take a
    picture with standard 3M Scotchlite tape (couldn't find the tech spec)
    alongside:

    http://tinyurl.com/yus73t
    (click on the magnifying glass in top right to see full-size image)

    The Diamond tape on left is applied to a 1/4 circumference of a rim.
    The photo was taken with facing down into my cellar with camera set at
    400mm f8.0 1/1000s ISO 80 (i.e. the least exposure possible).

    The improved brightness of the Diamond tape is very apparent
    (highlights are clipped despite the exposure) both in the picture and
    in 'real-life'.

    Tom

    P.S. I believehttp://www.reflexite.co.uk/make something similar (and
    claim to have invented it), but I was unable to acquire a sensible
    quantity of it to test.

    I have this Reflexite V92 reflective tape on my brevet bike frame
    tubes. White/silver color. All frame tubes and fork blades about
    100% encircled with the tape.
    http://www.identi-tape.com/hi-intensity.htm

    I have 3M Scotchlite 8850 reflective tape on my rims, pedal, cranks.
    Silver gray color. Invisible on Mavic Open Pro silver rims in the
    daytime. Between every rim eyelet.
    http://www.rusa.org/Download/rusa-scotchlite.pdf
    http://www.beseenonabike.com/shopuk/product_info.php?products_id=88

    Both reflective tapes are the same brightness when light shines on
    them. The diamond Reflexite stuff is no more reflective than the 3M
    tape. But the Reflexite V92 stuff does not blend in with anything.
    If I could do it again, I'd use only the silver/gray 3M tape to coat
    the frame tubes. It would not look as different in the daytime.

  3. Thomas Hood said:

    Bought a couple of metres of white 3M Diamond Grade tape (
    http://tinyurl.com/2btshb ) to trim my bike with. Thought I'd take a
    picture with standard 3M Scotchlite tape (couldn't find the tech spec)
    alongside:

    http://tinyurl.com/yus73t
    (click on the magnifying glass in top right to see full-size image)

    The Diamond tape on left is applied to a 1/4 circumference of a rim.
    The photo was taken with facing down into my cellar with camera set at
    400mm f8.0 1/1000s ISO 80 (i.e. the least exposure possible).

    The improved brightness of the Diamond tape is very apparent
    (highlights are clipped despite the exposure) both in the picture and
    in 'real-life'.

    Tom

    P.S. I believe http://www.reflexite.co.uk/ make something similar (and
    claim to have invented it), but I was unable to acquire a sensible
    quantity of it to test.


    that's a great post - thanks.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.