Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Replacing cones on 8 speed Campy Record Rear Hub

Started by Fredrick · · Last activity · 2 posts · 1,089 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
14 July 2003
Last activity
15 July 2003
Original author
Fredrick
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,089
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Savy bike mechanics,

    I have a early 1990's 8 speed Campagnolo Record rear hub that has been bit neglected and now I
    cannot adjust out the slop in the bearings. Either the wheel spins ok but flops side to side, or the
    bearings are too tight. I have replaced the 1/4 inch and 7/32 inch ball bearings on both left and
    right sides, and the left side cone bearing but the slop is still there. So now I want to replace
    the right side cone bearing and both inner bearing races that are pressed into the hub. My
    questions:

    1) How do I tell if the right side cone bearing is a separate piece from the axle and is replacable?
    Or is it ground into the axle and not replacable? The right side cone bearing is the same dark
    color as the axle. If it is replacable, I figure I can drive it off with a punch, but how do I
    push it back onto the axle without damaging the bearing surface?

    2) Can I replace the bearing races that are pressed into the hub? If so, where can I get the new
    parts, how to I extract the bearing races from the hub, and how do I re-install the races into
    the hub without damaging them?

    Thanks in advance for your advice.

    --
    Fquasimoto

  2. Frederick-<< 1) How do I tell if the right side cone bearing is a separate piece from the axle and
    is replacable? >><BR><BR>

    It is replaceable-The interior cone that rides on the 7/32 balls. Taps off, taps on.

    << 2) Can I replace the bearing races that are pressed into the hub? >><BR><BR>

    Not really. Once upon a time you could and get cups but not really anymore.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.