Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Replacing Axle on Suzue ProMax FF Hub

Started by question man · · Last activity · 2 posts · 729 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
3 November 2005
Last activity
3 November 2005
Original author
question man
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
729
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. All,

    I had to change to a longer axle on a Suzue Pro-Max flip/flop hub, to
    make the wheel fit my setup.

    I'm trying to replicate Sheldon's Hercules
    (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/hercules.html).
    I was able to replicate it successfully with a Suzue loose-bearing
    hub, but now I've decided to upgrade (better hub, rim, & tire).

    I am using an old 5-speed freewheel, with two sprockets in place for
    my freewheel gears.

    My questions are:

    1. In order to take out the shorter axle, I had to release one of the
    dust caps. How does it get put back into place? Does it have to
    'snap' into place, as on a loose-bearing hub?

    2. How should I adjust the "adjustable cones" on the Pro-Max hub? I
    don't know what else to call the parts to which I refer--on a
    loose-bearing hub, they'd be the adjustable cones. If I tighten them
    enough, will the dust cover snap into place? How tight is too tight?
    It'd be very nice if the new axle had some kind of wrenching flats, or
    a hex-recess in the end of axle, so I could hold the axle & tighten
    the adjustable cub with the loose dust cap. (I feel like I'm beating
    a dead horse here).

    (I do have a beam-type torque wrench, if that's useful)

    Thanks,

    Phil

  2. question man said:

    All,

    I had to change to a longer axle on a Suzue Pro-Max flip/flop hub, to
    make the wheel fit my setup.

    I'm trying to replicate Sheldon's Hercules
    (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/hercules.html).
    I was able to replicate it successfully with a Suzue loose-bearing
    hub, but now I've decided to upgrade (better hub, rim, & tire).

    I am using an old 5-speed freewheel, with two sprockets in place for
    my freewheel gears.

    My questions are:

    1. In order to take out the shorter axle, I had to release one of the
    dust caps. How does it get put back into place? Does it have to
    'snap' into place, as on a loose-bearing hub?

    No, it just rests against the cone shoulders.

    Quoted message said:


    2. How should I adjust the "adjustable cones" on the Pro-Max hub? I
    don't know what else to call the parts to which I refer--on a
    loose-bearing hub, they'd be the adjustable cones. If I tighten them
    enough, will the dust cover snap into place? How tight is too tight?

    Adjust like any hub even tho the bearings are cart bearings. Just past
    a wee bit loose.

    Quoted message said:

    It'd be very nice if the new axle had some kind of wrenching flats, or
    a hex-recess in the end of axle, so I could hold the axle & tighten
    the adjustable cub with the loose dust cap. (I feel like I'm beating
    a dead horse here).

    Tighten too tight, then use cone wrenchs on opposite sides, turning
    against each other to get proper adjustment or get an axle vise.

    Quoted message said:


    (I do have a beam-type torque wrench, if that's useful)

    Thanks,

    Phil

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.