UK and Europe · Public discussion

Regents Park

Started by max c · · Last activity · 54 posts · 1,611 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
18 July 2005
Last activity
21 July 2005
Original author
max c
Posts
54
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,611
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 54
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. davek said:
    Pete Biggs said:

    You should complain when you are not going against the spirit of the
    rule, what the rule was invented for, and when the police have not
    used their descretion wisely.

    I'm all for trying to get stupid rules changed, even if it means the
    kind of civil disobedience that got the poll tax repealed.

    But cycling in a place where cycling is banned isn't civil
    disobedience, it's breaking the rules for personal convenience, which
    is selfish and foolish.

    Convenient, selfish and very rarely harmful, and not foolish when & where
    you know you have little chance of getting stopped or annoying people.

    Quoted message said:

    Taking part in a critical mass ride, on the
    other hand...

    ....pisses people off more than an old lady cycling in the park.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Rules need to be broadly worded so they can be easily
    applied whenever it really matters, but a civilised society doesn't
    have to enforce all the rules all the time.

    ...which is the kind of thing I'd expect P*** S**** to say.

    Shock horror, PS might be right on this particular principle.

    Quoted message said:

    The problem is this: who decides when it "really matters"? Is this one
    of those appeals to "common sense"?

    The authorities is who, who fortuantely are allowed to use their senses at
    the moment. Written law can never be drafted to be as sensible and fair
    as they can be. Of course the police won't always be fair or sensible
    enough, but again I think this is better than the alternative.

    ~PB

  2. davek said:

    I'm a bit confused. What was the person actually stopped for? Cycling
    where they shouldn't be cycling? or cycling too fast? Why weren't these
    other cyclists also stopped?

    For cycling in the park. He was going slowly, a little faster than
    walking pace, as was the person who I saw stopped last time.

    What the police were doing was waiting a few metres inside the park on
    the south side of the zebra crossing I mentioned in an earlier post.
    Cyclists heading south along the path crossed at the zebra crossing,
    noticed the uniforms ahead (community support I think, not actually
    police officers today), wobbled around a bit and then had the sense to
    go along the road instead of continuing through the park. Consequently
    the uniforms had to wait a few minutes before anyone came in their
    direction, probably ensuring that their prey didn't even know cycling
    is banned. You certainly wouldn't think it was, given the number of
    cyclists.

    Quoted message said:

    It does sound like the officer was being a bit of a jobsworth, but I
    presume the offender /was/ breaking some rule or other, yes?

    Yes, as I understand it, cycling is banned on all the paths in Regents
    Park.

  3. iakobski said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yes, in a sad state, I think.

    I don't agree. If there are places where you can cycle and places
    where you can't, then people know what to expect. They can take their
    toddlers to that part of the park without having to look out for
    cycles, or frail elderly people can go there if they get flustered by
    cycles.

    That would be nice but there are exceptions where and when no-one at all
    will actually be bothered by a cyclist there. For example, when there is
    no-one else in the park and alternative paths can be taken if someone did
    enter it. Plenty of parks have flat & open enough landscaping, and wide
    enough entrances, to be sure of that.

    It's a broader issue than parks anyway. Some relatively frail people
    enjoy CYCLING on footpaths. I do not want all of these people prosecuted
    just because it is too difficult to draft laws, schemes and facilities
    that would be complex and sophisticated enough to allow exactly what is
    reasonable *without* the individual judgment of a human being, eg. police
    officer.

    Quoted message said:

    In Greenwich Park they have a rule of no dogs in the flower garden.
    Should people be allowed to get away with taking small dogs in there?
    Or dogs on a lead?

    No because small pieces of dog excrement are just as bad as big pieces :-)

    Quoted message said:

    By your argument, we are in a sad state if we stop at red lights,
    rather than use our judgment and decide when to jump them based on
    how much traffic there is around.

    I think it would be deeply sad indeed if a cyclist running a red light
    through a pedestrian crossing in the middle of a straight road at 3 am
    when there are clearly no pedestrians anywhere near the crossing was
    prosecuted. Fortunately, I've never heard of an actual case like this,
    but a police officer would be obliged to nick this cyclist if the policy
    changed to zero-tolerance.

    ~PB

  4. max c said:

    Cyclists heading south along the path crossed at the zebra crossing,
    noticed the uniforms ahead (community support I think, not actually
    police officers today),

    Community Support explains it then. Proper police officers generally have
    better things to do.

    ~PB

  5. On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:12:05 +0100, Tony Raven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    The bigger problem out in the wider world is usually grumpy motorists
    rather than grumpy policemen.

    In Greenwich Park I nearly collided with a boy, who had just lobbed a
    stick into a tree to get conkers, and ran out into the Park Road. The
    back end of my bike slewed round before I could release the brake, and
    the wheel was damaged beyond repair. I had to carry the bike up the
    hill.

    The Park Constable refused to offer any assistance, and *physically*
    prevented me from locking the bike up within the park.

  6. spencer bullen said:


    "max c" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tony Raven said:

    As such some of the normal
    rules do not apply - for example speed limits apply to cyclists in Royal
    Parks but not on the Public Highway.

    That is a good idea, and makes it even less justifiable that cycling is
    not
    permitted. What possible argument could there be against allowing
    cyclists to go slowly if legislation already allows the imposition of a
    speed limit?

    Greetings,

    several years ago there was a death in the Royal Parks involving a collision
    between a cyclist and a pedestrian. The response to this was to ban cycles
    from all but specifically designated paths within the parks. I can see how
    it would make a legislator's job easier to impose a blanket ban as opposed
    to setting a cycle speed limit; unless every PC had a speed camera to
    measure a cyclist any ticket issued would be too easily challenged. Also,
    as a slight asside, the Royal Parks Constabulary has now been essentially
    absorbed by the Metropolitan Police, existing Royal Parks Constables either
    being admitted to the Met, or allowed to resign/retire.

    This is not before time. The raising of their staus from Park Wardens
    to Park Constables was never justified.

  7. On 18 Jul 2005 08:32:10 -0700, "iakobski" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In Greenwich Park they have a rule of no dogs in the flower garden.
    Should people be allowed to get away with taking small dogs in there?
    Or dogs on a lead?

    Have you seen the clearance under the fence around the Flower Garden?
    Most small dogs can get underneath with ease, I know, my parents'
    border terrier can't be kept out - so how the rule can be enforced is
    beyond me.

  8. Pete Biggs said:

    That would be nice but there are exceptions where and when no-one at all
    will actually be bothered by a cyclist there. For example, when there is
    no-one else in the park and alternative paths can be taken if someone did
    enter it. Plenty of parks have flat & open enough landscaping, and wide
    enough entrances, to be sure of that.

    I would like to take my cycle training groups to Greenwich Park for
    training. Use the band stand as a mock roundabout, use road junctions
    to practice signalling and turning. Children under 11 learning to
    cycle should be permitted to use the Royal Parks.

  9. "max c" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    davek said:

    Was he fined /for/ cycling at a snail's pace, or /while/ he was cycling
    at a snail's pace?

    He was fined shortly /after/ cycling at a snail's pace, and my
    inference is that it was clearly /for/ cycling at a snail's pace.

    As others have noted, surely he was fined simply for the fact of cycling.
    Cycling slowly was probably his mistake though - if he'd been cycling faster
    he might have been more difficult to catch 😉

    Seriously, I often do wonder how cyclists get themselves caught in such
    situations, unless they just obediently give up - you wouldn't expect a
    foot-bound warden to be able to outsprint a cyclist after all!

    Rich

  10. davek said:

    But cycling in a place where cycling is banned isn't civil
    disobedience, it's breaking the rules for personal convenience, which
    is selfish and foolish.

    I totally agree ... unless nobodys looking

    Quoted message said:

    Taking part in a critical mass ride, on the
    other hand...


    😉
    is a pointless exercise in a park

  11. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    davek wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Taking part in a critical mass ride, on the
    other hand...

    ...pisses people off more than an old lady cycling in the park.

    echoes of our last premier there

    --
    Critical Mass London Web site:
    http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk

  12. Have you asked whether you can do this? I was told by a member of the
    Royal Parks Constabulary that the no cycling rule did not apply to
    children under 11. Admittedly it's not RPC any more, but worth asking.

  13. iakobski said:

    Have you asked whether you can do this? I was told by a member of the
    Royal Parks Constabulary that the no cycling rule did not apply to
    children under 11. Admittedly it's not RPC any more, but worth asking.

    Tip: It's good practice on a newsgroup to quote some text of the reply
    you are referring to (like wot I is doing above) so readers know what
    you're talking about, or who you are asking a question to, without having
    to re-read previous messages in the thread (which may be hidden from view
    after being read initially).

    Thanks
    ~PB

  14. iakobski said:

    Have you asked whether you can do this? I was told by a member of the
    Royal Parks Constabulary that the no cycling rule did not apply to
    children under 11. Admittedly it's not RPC any more, but worth asking.

    The law is specific:

    Acts prohibited in a Park
    3. Subject to the provisions of regulation 6, no person using a
    Park shall -

    ......

    (4) use -

    (a) any pedal cycle, or

    (b) any roller skate, roller blade, skate board or other
    foot-propelled device

    except on a Park road or in an area designated and marked as being for
    that purpose by the Secretary of State;
    (The Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces Regulations 1997)

    However children below the age of ten can not be charged with an
    offence. It used to be age 13 but that was changed in the Crime and
    Disorder Act 1998.

    --
    Tony

    "I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
    Anon

  15. Pete Biggs said:

    Rules need to be broadly worded so
    they can be easily applied whenever it really matters, but a
    civilised society doesn't have to enforce all the rules all the time.

    Better known as
    "rules are for fools
    and the guidance of wise men".

    --
    yours S

    Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione

  16. On 19 Jul 2005 02:08:37 -0700, "iakobski" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Have you asked whether you can do this? I was told by a member of the
    Royal Parks Constabulary that the no cycling rule did not apply to
    children under 11. Admittedly it's not RPC any more, but worth asking.

    I was told by a member of the RPC that I could not lock my crashed and
    unrideable bike in the park because it could be packed with explosives
    in the frame.

  17. soup said:
    Pete Biggs said:

    Rules need to be broadly worded so
    they can be easily applied whenever it really matters, but a
    civilised society doesn't have to enforce all the rules all the time.

    Better known as
    "rules are for fools
    and the guidance of wise men".

    aka as "I don't need to stick to the speed limit because its perfectly
    safe to go faster" in uk.tosspot

    --
    Tony

    "I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
    Anon

  18. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    soup wrote:
    aka as "I don't need to stick to the speed limit because its perfectly
    safe to go faster" in uk.tosspot

    But, there may be circumstances where it is relatively safe to go faster, it
    all depends where, when and by how much. Why do the French allow 130/110kph
    depending on the weather on their motorways? Is it because theirs are safer
    than ours, except when it rains, when ours become safer than theirs? The
    limit does not define what is safe, it only defines what is legal. Even
    then speed cameras allow a margin of tolerance, and that, IMO, is as it
    should be. There is always a case for saying that rules that do not arise
    from moral absolutes and are to some extent arbitrary in where the lines
    have been chosen to be drawn, should be enforced with some degree of
    discretion.

    Rich

  19. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The law is specific:

    Acts prohibited in a Park
    3. Subject to the provisions of regulation 6, no person using a Park
    shall -

    ......

    (4) use -

    (a) any pedal cycle, or

    (b) any roller skate, roller blade, skate board or other
    foot-propelled device

    So I can use my handcycle all over the park and they can't hassle me. Wohoo!
    --
    OJ

    Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
    Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

  20. Guy Ballantine said:

    "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The law is specific:

    Acts prohibited in a Park
    3. Subject to the provisions of regulation 6, no person using a Park
    shall -

    ......

    (4) use -

    (a) any pedal cycle, or

    (b) any roller skate, roller blade, skate board or other
    foot-propelled device

    So I can use my handcycle all over the park and they can't hassle me. Wohoo!

    Unfortunately not. As well as foot operated levers, the definitions of
    pedal in OED include "either of a pair of levers for transmitting power
    to a bicycle or tricycle wheel" which would include hand cranks. Sorry!

    --
    Tony

    "I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
    Anon

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.