Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Reach Adjustment Ultegra STI 9 Speed

Started by twalsh · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,523 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
10 April 2006
Last activity
10 April 2006
Original author
twalsh
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,523
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all. I have a question regarding the possibility of adjusting the reach of the Ultegra 9 Speed STI shifters so that the bar is closer to the shifters while in the drops. I know that I can go out and buy the so called "brifter", but I was hoping I could avoid that expense. Maybe another solution is to change the bar instead of the shifters from my 3T "The Bar" to another shape. Any suggestions? Perhaps someone has a nifty solution to my predicament? (My hands are small, probably about 6 1/ 2"😉. Thanks.

  2. twalsh said:

    Hi all. I have a question regarding the possibility of adjusting the reach of the Ultegra 9 Speed STI shifters so that the bar is closer to the shifters while in the drops. I know that I can go out and buy the so called "brifter", but I was hoping I could avoid that expense. Maybe another solution is to change the bar instead of the shifters from my 3T "The Bar" to another shape. Any suggestions? Perhaps someone has a nifty solution to my predicament? (My hands are small, probably about 6 1/ 2"😉. Thanks.

    I have small hands too. The bike shop I was at sold plastic shims that you wedge in the gap between the top of the hoods and the shifter levers. It makes it like your brakes are particially applied. May need to have brake cable length adjusted. It was cheap and looked like it would work.

  3. specialized.comSBCEqProduct.jsp

    These should do the trick.

    twalsh said:

    Hi all. I have a question regarding the possibility of adjusting the reach of the Ultegra 9 Speed STI shifters so that the bar is closer to the shifters while in the drops. I know that I can go out and buy the so called "brifter", but I was hoping I could avoid that expense. Maybe another solution is to change the bar instead of the shifters from my 3T "The Bar" to another shape. Any suggestions? Perhaps someone has a nifty solution to my predicament? (My hands are small, probably about 6 1/ 2"😉. Thanks.

  4. Another rider with a similar problem: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t329272.html

  5. Hi and thanks for your advice.
    I think I'm going to try to the shim idea, (thanks for the link to Specialized). I have no problems shifting while on the hoods, just on the drops. I think if I had just two extra cm of finger length while in the drops the reach to the brakes would be perfect - and I wouldn't have to worry about a failed attempt at emergency braking :eek:

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.