General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Where there's a will, there's a way

Started by Dee Randall · · Last activity · 1 post · 224 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 February 2005
Last activity
26 February 2005
Original author
Dee Randall
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
224
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Curly Sue" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    MY RANGE HOOD IS FINALLY INSTALLED! This has been such an odessey, I
    am ecstatic.

    I bought the darn thing last July. I carefully researched hoods for a
    month. When I picked out the one I wanted (Broan Allure III), there
    were a number of distributors, but no one to install it. I called all
    sorts of appliance and home renovation places. No one wanted to
    bother with a range hood installation.

    Undaunted, I decided to buy it anyway and worry about installation
    later. I had to drive out to a Lowe's on Long Island to place a
    special order, then back again when it came in. I wanted it vented,
    and that was the big hassle. I was having some masonry work done
    (supposedly in August but not started until January) and arranged for
    the masons to make the hole in the brick wall when they did the other
    work (which they finished last week). While waiting for them to be
    ready, I couldn't find a nice wall cap locally (the ones in hardware
    stores were tinny), so I had to special order an enameled steel one.
    Next, inside... how to trim the existing backboard, which is made of
    some invincible laminate material. This is where strong friends with
    saber saws and determination come in handy :> Break through the
    plaster and there is a stud impinging on where the duct should go!
    Argh... more angst, but cutting the stud was out of the question.
    Off-center ducting was the way to go after considering other
    possibilities. I had to keep taking the hood out for reference and
    measuring, that I just left it out in my living room for the past
    month.

    Two weeks ago a friend with electrical skills spent 4 hr fishing
    through the wall and setting up the electrical connections. In the
    meantime, I had to find where to get a custom duct made (answer: a
    central air conditioning shop, but it wasn't cheap). I had to do the
    measuring etc. for the masons to break the wall in the right place
    (yikes!) and having the duct and wall cap was a big help.

    They finally did their thing last Friday. Somewhere along the way I
    got a reference to a contractor who would install it. I took today
    off from work because he worked on it this morning. We got around the
    stud. The wall cap, duct, and hood damper lined up (whew!) and were
    "encouraged" to nest properly. He also came with a stainless steel
    wall shield to cover up the mangy wall behind the stove (including
    the irreparable hole where the old fan was).

    It's going to be so nice to finally have my vented range hood (with
    lights!) and to get that huge box out of my living room. And, I did
    learn a lot in the process.

    I've THOUGHT a lot about putting a hood in my kitchen. I know that I almost
    would as soon move to another house than tackle the situation. Thanks for
    reminding me again that I don't have the stamina for it. Perhaps my husband
    does, but he's never in the mood.
    I know you are very relieved to have this done. Forget the new stove --
    enjoy.
    Dee

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.