Road Cycling · Public discussion

Re: What are they (cars) thinking when we...

Started by Curtis L. Russell · · Last activity · 5 posts · 679 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
8 April 2004
Last activity
9 April 2004
Original author
Curtis L. Russell
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
679
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Mike Jacoubowsky said:

    When we're heading up the hill, which has many blind corners, I routinely
    give hand signals to hold cars back (keep them from passing) when I can see
    ahead and there's a car heading down. Likewise I'll give hand signals to
    cars coming down the hill, telling them to slow down, when there's a car
    coming up from behind us.

    I stopped that after a ride organizer (years ago - don't remember
    which) asked us not to do it. His concern was that an automobile would
    follow the handsigns without due caution and have an accident and come
    back and sue. After thinking it over, I concur with that. I don't wave
    a cyclist through an intersection and don't follow someone on that
    basis either - I prefer to check things out for myself. I think it is
    a good policy for automobiles as well.

    Shouting a caution is one thing - telling someone in effect that
    things are clear is another IMO.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  2. In article said:

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 05:05:46 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    I stopped that after a ride organizer (years ago - don't remember
    which) asked us not to do it. His concern was that an automobile would
    follow the handsigns without due caution and have an accident and come

    I actually did this once as a driver. I wanted to make a left turn
    across a busy four-lane road with traffic backed up at a stoplight.
    The person in the nearest lane stopped, leaving a gap, and waved me
    through. I was young and dumb and just went, and got t-boned at
    about 40 MPH[1]. No major injuries to any party, but totally my
    fault.

    Quoted message said:

    back and sue.

    This I did not do.

    -- Dan

    [1] To make matters worse, I had just had $300 in repairs made
    and was leaving the lot of the auto shop.

    --
    Dan Cosley ([email hidden] * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/)
    GroupLens Research Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372)
    *** Just a foot soldier in the Army of Truth ***

  3. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    When we're heading up the hill, which has many blind corners, I routinely
    give hand signals to hold cars back (keep them from passing) when I can


    see

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ahead and there's a car heading down. Likewise I'll give hand signals to
    cars coming down the hill, telling them to slow down, when there's a car
    coming up from behind us.

    I stopped that after a ride organizer (years ago - don't remember
    which) asked us not to do it. His concern was that an automobile would
    follow the handsigns without due caution and have an accident and come
    back and sue. After thinking it over, I concur with that. I don't wave
    a cyclist through an intersection and don't follow someone on that
    basis either - I prefer to check things out for myself. I think it is
    a good policy for automobiles as well.

    But again, the initial example I gave was not about waving somebody through,
    but rather holding them back. I really can't see a downside to giving a
    handsignal to a car telling them that it's presently unsafe to pass. I do
    see your point in terms of waving them through however.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  4. Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    When we're heading up the hill, which has many blind corners, I routinely
    give hand signals to hold cars back (keep them from passing) when I can


    see

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ahead and there's a car heading down. Likewise I'll give hand signals to
    cars coming down the hill, telling them to slow down, when there's a car
    coming up from behind us.

    I stopped that after a ride organizer (years ago - don't remember
    which) asked us not to do it. His concern was that an automobile would
    follow the handsigns without due caution and have an accident and come
    back and sue. After thinking it over, I concur with that. I don't wave
    a cyclist through an intersection and don't follow someone on that
    basis either - I prefer to check things out for myself. I think it is
    a good policy for automobiles as well.

    But again, the initial example I gave was not about waving somebody through,
    but rather holding them back. I really can't see a downside to giving a
    handsignal to a car telling them that it's presently unsafe to pass. I do
    see your point in terms of waving them through however.

    That I agre with 100%, let them decide if it's safe but inform them
    when it's not.

    --
    Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email hidden]
    http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
    http://linuxha.sourceforge.net/ (SourceForge)
    http://hcs.sourceforge.net/ (HCS II)

  5. Quoted message said:

    But again, the initial example I gave was not about waving somebody through,
    but rather holding them back. I really can't see a downside to giving a
    handsignal to a car telling them that it's presently unsafe to pass. I do
    see your point in terms of waving them through however.

    I agree. I think I have only held a person back once. It was on a rural road
    and I was going a good clip on a Sunday morning. A car came up behind me, not
    too fast, and started to pass. It was double yellow. I moved to my left a
    little with my left arm extended and hand back. He dropped back. He had not
    seen a car that had dropped into a little fold in the terrain and had just
    popped up. Had he gone around he would have almost certainly had a head on
    collision. When it was clear, they passed. The lady in the passanger seat
    smiles and waved at me as they went by and the guy behind the wheel looked
    mighty sheepish. I think he had just gotten an earful. From the looks of how
    they were dressed and the time of the morning, I think they were on their way
    to church.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.