General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Sleepiness after a big meal

Started by Skinny · · Last activity · 5 posts · 483 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
11 October 2004
Last activity
13 October 2004
Original author
Skinny
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
483
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ignoramus23816 said:

    People say that they become sleepy after carb heavy meal.

    I personally become sleepy after even low carb meals. Granted, I
    probably do not get enough sleep, but why is sleepiness related to
    food, without excess carbs?

    That's my biggest problem, for years -- tho I'm not sure 'sleepy' is
    exactly the right word for mine.

    There can be lots of causes. Some amount of carbs triggering a 'reactive/
    relative hypoglycemic' reaction.... The sort of insulin reaction that
    radiantrecovery.com talks about.... Some people have suggested 'wheat
    intolerance'....

    Some people get a blood glucose meter (cheap at Walmart, no prescription
    needed) and test before and after meals, to see if there's a correlation
    between BG levels and how they feel.

    Skinny

  2. Ignoramus23816 said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Skinny wrote:


    /snip/

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Some people get a blood glucose meter (cheap at Walmart, no


    prescription

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    needed) and test before and after meals, to see if there's a


    correlation

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    between BG levels and how they feel.

    Skinny

    I'll check that. I was so desperate for a nap after lunch.

    Sometimes I fight wanting a nap all afternoon, but if I actually do lie
    down and try to sleep, I wake up again very quickly, refreshed and ok for
    quite a while.

    Let us know what you find out. I need any hints I can get too.

    Good luck,
    Skinny

  3. Quoted message said:

    Sometimes I fight wanting a nap all afternoon, but if I actually do lie
    down and try to sleep, I wake up again very quickly, refreshed and ok for
    quite a while.

    I wish I could be like this. If I sleep, all I want to do is sleep more. My dad
    will take a 15 minute nap, I'd kill anybody who tried to wake me up after 15
    mere minutes of sleep. At least now with LC I don't get sleepy during the day
    much. I use to be wiped out ALL the time. Now I actually have to be sleep
    deprived to get tired during the day.
    LCing since 12/01/03-
    Me- 5'7" 265/159/140
    & hubby- 6' 310/188/180
    http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lcer09/my_photos

  4. Ignoramus4133 said:
    In article said:

    On 12 Oct 2004 01:34:49 GMT, Ignoramus23816 wrote:


    /snip/

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sometimes I fight wanting a nap all afternoon, but if I actually do lie
    down and try to sleep, I wake up again very quickly, refreshed and ok


    for

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    quite a while.

    Let us know what you find out. I need any hints I can get too.

    A nap always refreshes me. Unfortunately, I am at work and it is hard
    to take a nap.

    Someone suggested mine might be lack of circulation, not enough blood to
    the head. Even lying down or putting my head down a few minutes in some
    sort of exercise makes a difference to me sometimmes. Like dropping
    someting on othe floor and bending over to look for it. :-)

    Or walking, stretching, some sort of calesthenics for a few minutes on a
    break.

    Skinny

  5. Ignoramus19594 said:
    In article said:

    On 12 Oct 2004 12:43:22 GMT, Ignoramus4133 wrote:


    /snip/

    Quoted message said:

    I am becoming more convinced that my sleepiness is simply a result of,
    drumroll, lack of sleep.

    That's easy to test. :-) Keep a record.

    Quoted message said:

    I was sleepy after lunch today, but my blood
    sugar was completely fine, at 72.

    I'm glad you're testing BG. But is that a typo, or by what standard is 72
    'fine'? What kind of meter are you using? Does it have an instruction
    sheet that tells you what the range of expected results are? If you're
    getting something much different than that range, you should run some more
    checks, and if they are consistent, check your meter or see a doctor or
    both. 🙂

    By the standard I know, used in Walmart meters, (mg/dl), 72 is near or
    below the bottom of the 'low normal' range for 'fasting blood sugar', ie
    first thing in the morning before eating anything. It shouldn't be that low
    later.

    There's a lot of controversy about what's 'normal', but the lowest set of
    recommendations I've seen (often posted at alt.support.diabetes) is

    Quoted message said:

    FBG under 100
    One hour after meals under 140
    Two hours after meals under 120

    Skinny

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.