UK and Europe · Public discussion

Re: Scaried monent on a bike?

Started by Nick Kew · · Last activity · 4 posts · 246 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
16 August 2006
Last activity
18 August 2006
Original author
Nick Kew
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
246
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    What about all of you?

    Not so long ago, coming down a steep hill (20%) that ends in a
    T-junction, with no visibility due to high hedges. Road at the
    bottom is a B road. Redeeming feature: turning left at the T
    is a smooth curve.

    Rear brake was poorly adjusted and useless.

    Used both brakes to regulate speed, when the front suddenly
    went limp: the cable had broken! Pulled hard on the rear,
    and continued down the hill, not in free-fall but not getting
    any slower either.

    I quickly contemplated options, and took my chances with the T,
    taking advantage of that smooth curve to hug the roadside.
    Calculated that anyone coming at me could probably miss me,
    though it'd give everyone a scare.

    When I eventually managed to stop, I walked the bike home and
    replaced both brakes with brand new ones!

    --
    not me guv

  2. Nick Kew said:

    When I eventually managed to stop, I walked the bike home and
    replaced both brakes with brand new ones!

    I posted my story before reading the rest of the thread, but this is
    eerily similar to what happened to me (only with me it was a minor road
    on a housing estate, with a major A-road running across the bottom).

    Mind you, I'm sure the same has happened to plenty of other people...

    d.

  3. in message <[email hidden]>, davek ([email hidden]'😉

    Quoted message said:
    Nick Kew said:

    When I eventually managed to stop, I walked the bike home and
    replaced both brakes with brand new ones!

    I posted my story before reading the rest of the thread, but this is
    eerily similar to what happened to me (only with me it was a minor road
    on a housing estate, with a major A-road running across the bottom).

    Mind you, I'm sure the same has happened to plenty of other people...

    See my reports of the Audax instruction 'SO at CR' passim. The last day -
    ever - that I rode a bike with Weinmann brakes. If you haven't seen it
    before, story here:

    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/dogfood/story/article_7.html

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben... Ist
    nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken sichtseeren
    keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und
    watchen das cursorblinken. -- quoted from the jargon file

  4. Simon Brooke said:

    See my reports of the Audax instruction 'SO at CR' passim.

    The A1! Now that /is/ scary!

    d.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.