Thanks Doug for your comments. It's very helpful. The names of the chemicals in the quote just totally floored me. Thanks!
Interesting. I just read though the entire set of web pages and there wasn't a single unfamiliar chemical discussed. Nothing but the names of the usual ketones, standard amino acids discussed, the usual hormones and so on.
The doctor who can't tell an apple from a tunafish sandwich, I mean who couldn't tell dietary ketosis, went on about all the usual stuff that's discussed on ALDLC all the time, as if it was some sort of mystery that the predictable was happening and the reporter was getting steadily more healthy.
One major mistake - Where did this six week testing stuff come from? Most versions of the book specify testing at the beginning and testing in six months, specifically because the numbers *do* tend to be confusing around six weeks in. The 2003 edition switched to testing in three months (12 weeks not 6) and that's too agressive in my opinion.
So the doctor saw the obvious and expected and was confused by it. Nothing that reading the book and a few posts here couldn't have handled.
Hey the chemical names are familiar to you but they totally evade *me*! I have near to no training in chemistry so even if I have came across the names of the chemicals while reading the Atkins book, I can't remember any of it. I can just about remember what some hormones do, e.g. like the LH and FSH, because their names indicate what they do. But when I see things like beta-hydroxybutyrate, acetoacetate, acetone, alanine, I feel confused.
Interesting. I just read though the entire set of web pages and there wasn't a single unfamiliar chemical discussed. Nothing but the names of the usual ketones, standard amino acids discussed, the usual hormones and so on.
Hey the chemical names are familiar to you but they totally evade *me*!
That's okay. Consider. If you read someone using unfamiliar terms are they dazzling you with their brilliance or are they baffling you with their bullsh*t? Boil it down to that.
The so-called expert who mentioned the chemcial names can't tell ketoacidosis from dietary ketosis. Just from that you can be sure it's baffling with bullsh*t whether you think the chemcial names are as common as the days of the week or you've never heard them before.
When exposed to complexity, step back and look for the simplicity.
You always state the most complex reasoning on why Atkins might work.
-- Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW
"Doug Freyburger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Ada Ma said:
Doug Freyburger said:
Interesting. I just read though the entire set of web pages and there wasn't a single unfamiliar chemical discussed. Nothing but the names of the usual ketones, standard amino acids discussed, the usual hormones and so on.
Hey the chemical names are familiar to you but they totally evade *me*!
That's okay. Consider. If you read someone using unfamiliar terms are they dazzling you with their brilliance or are they baffling you with their bullsh*t? Boil it down to that.
The so-called expert who mentioned the chemcial names can't tell ketoacidosis from dietary ketosis. Just from that you can be sure it's baffling with bullsh*t whether you think the chemcial names are as common as the days of the week or you've never heard them before.
When exposed to complexity, step back and look for the simplicity.
When exposed to complexity, step back and look for the simplicity.
What a hypocrite.
I love you too.
Quoted message said:
You always state the most complex reasoning on why Atkins might work.
The Atkins *process* is simple. The mechanism of how it works is a set of several feedback loops of different hormones doing different things. It is complex. It's why the process isn't obvious yet why the process works.
Of course if all you're interested in is high effort skill free brute force and ignorance, your "eat less and exercise more" approach does work. It's harder on the effort in exchange for easier on the brain but that balances out. Thinking is work. Ah well, I guess avoiding thinking is something you need.
"Doug Freyburger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
JC Der Koenig said:
Doug Freyburger said:
When exposed to complexity, step back and look for the simplicity.
What a hypocrite.
I love you too.
Quoted message said:
You always state the most complex reasoning on why Atkins might work.
The Atkins *process* is simple. The mechanism of how it works is a set of several feedback loops of different hormones doing different things. It is complex. It's why the process isn't obvious yet why the process works.
Of course if all you're interested in is high effort skill free brute force and ignorance, your "eat less and exercise more" approach does work. It's harder on the effort in exchange for easier on the brain but that balances out. Thinking is work. Ah well, I guess avoiding thinking is something you need.
I'm saving my mental effort for where it's needed.