Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: Question about road racing slick tires

Started by Zog The Undeniable · · Last activity · 2 posts · 573 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 May 2005
Last activity
23 May 2005
Original author
Zog The Undeniable
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
573
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Bob Palermo said:

    Hi.

    I recently bought a Trek 2300 road bike. It came with Bontrager slick tires.
    I've never ridden slicks before and am a little worried about the traction,
    particularly on wet roads. Should I expect a difference? Note that I had
    been riding Contiental Triathlon sewups on my old Peugeot road bike.

    There's only one disadvantage with slicks - it's harder to tell when the
    tread is worn out. Having said that, most bike tyres are safe enough
    "down to the canvas", on the rear tyre anyway.

  2. Zog The Undeniable said:
    Bob Palermo said:

    Hi.

    I recently bought a Trek 2300 road bike. It came with Bontrager slick
    tires.
    I've never ridden slicks before and am a little worried about the traction,
    particularly on wet roads. Should I expect a difference? Note that I had
    been riding Contiental Triathlon sewups on my old Peugeot road bike.

    There's only one disadvantage with slicks - it's harder to tell when the
    tread is worn out. Having said that, most bike tyres are safe enough
    "down to the canvas", on the rear tyre anyway.

    With slicks, the tire is worn out if the threads are showing or if the
    sidewall is coming apart. There is no reason to dispose of it earlier
    unless you're off on a longish trip. Some riders find a higher
    incidence of flats as the tread thins.

    --
    Ted Bennett

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.