Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: Prolink actually stays, or chain tension doesn't allow squeak?

Started by jim beam · · Last activity · 2 posts · 711 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
20 December 2006
Last activity
21 December 2006
Original author
jim beam
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
711
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Phil said:

    I used Prolink on my beater chain about 5 months ago. I've ridden it on
    short 1/2 mile trips on a daily basis, with a couple of wet rides. I
    haven't maintained it at all because my current job has distracts me from my
    interest in bikes, and the entire set of inner and outer plates is a nasty
    dry-rust mess at this point. However, there's no chain squeak. This is a
    SS with decently high tension on the chain. I also don't notice any dry
    chain roller "rattle."

    Is there no squeak because of the chain tension, or is it because the
    Prolink has actually maintained its lubricating properties?


    who knows? for me, prolink lasts about a week, and yes, rust seems to
    be a real issue. 15% chain saw oil in white spirit otoh lasts about 2
    weeks. and no rust problems. but i'm reluctant to ascribe magical
    properties to something where i don't know for sure what's going on.

  2. jim beam said:
    Phil said:

    I used Prolink on my beater chain about 5 months ago. I've ridden it on
    short 1/2 mile trips on a daily basis, with a couple of wet rides. I
    haven't maintained it at all because my current job has distracts me from my
    interest in bikes, and the entire set of inner and outer plates is a nasty
    dry-rust mess at this point. However, there's no chain squeak. This is a
    SS with decently high tension on the chain. I also don't notice any dry
    chain roller "rattle."

    Is there no squeak because of the chain tension, or is it because the
    Prolink has actually maintained its lubricating properties?


    who knows? for me, prolink lasts about a week, and yes, rust seems to
    be a real issue. 15% chain saw oil in white spirit otoh lasts about 2
    weeks. and no rust problems. but i'm reluctant to ascribe magical
    properties to something where i don't know for sure what's going on.

    I have done double-blind testing and can state unequivocally that
    Prolink is more magical than chan saw oil and white spirit.

    I like Prolink. It is less messy than my usual 30 weight and it does
    hold on pretty well in the rain. I have a bottle of "ATB oil" (it
    looks like Mystery Oil) that works well, too. The only real POS oil I
    have used up here is White Lightning, which washes off by the time I
    get to the end of the driveway on a rainy day. Maybe I got a bottle
    with the magic drained out of it. -- Jay Beattie.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.