Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: OT: Let's review, shall we?

Started by Blair P. Houghton · · Last activity · 3 posts · 409 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 October 2006
Last activity
3 October 2006
Original author
Blair P. Houghton
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
409
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:


    I said, in a post on Mar 31, 2003:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I stated in this forum that I had a bad feeling about this war, said


    feeling being derived from an observation that there was no reason to
    expect that the Bush administration would be any more competent at war
    than it was at anything else, and sadly I have been proven right.<<

    Wow, and that was 3 1/2 years ago, right after the war started and
    before Bush had declared victory in his silly pilot outfit on the deck
    of an aircraft carrier off the US coast.

    I supported the war before I opposed it.

    That change occurred on the day that Bush's "darn good
    intel" was revealed as the previously debunked "aluminum
    tube" and "yellow cake" stories.

    At that point my faith in the intelligence apparatus
    evaporated, and I was certain that the entire effort
    to smear Iraq and start a war was nothing but political
    opportunism, carried on the back of the enormous approval
    America was granting the White House.

    It proved what we all knew: that approval was a matter
    of supporting the flag, not the buffoon wrapping himself
    therein.

    And I predicted its effects. The Muslim world accepted
    our attack on Afghanistan because we were righteous in
    excising the Taliban and avenging the attack on our
    soil. But it would not accept an attack based on lies
    and profiteering. Such an attack would not convince
    them that we were people of honor and worthy of our
    share of the world; it would only convince them that
    we are not to be trusted, and it would convince those
    of them who were susceptible to become terrorists.

    And I don't consider myself all that prescient. I think
    everyone saw this coming. It's just a matter of who
    admitted it to themselves. Because it means at some point
    we will have to impeach or otherwise depose the people
    who did it.

    --Blair

  2. Blair P. Houghton said:
    Quoted message said:


    I said, in a post on Mar 31, 2003:

    Quoted message said:

    > I stated in this forum that I had a bad feeling about this war, said


    feeling being derived from an observation that there was no reason to
    expect that the Bush administration would be any more competent at war
    than it was at anything else, and sadly I have been proven right.<<

    Wow, and that was 3 1/2 years ago, right after the war started and
    before Bush had declared victory in his silly pilot outfit on the deck
    of an aircraft carrier off the US coast.

    I supported the war before I opposed it.

    LOL, good one.

    I was neutral in the beginning, but willing to give GWB the benefit of
    the doubt.

    My trust was foolish, that much is clear. No matter what the stated
    objectives (which have morphed as time has gone on), it seems that
    we've not made any progress.

    Except toppling Saddam. That one thing was a success.

    E.P.

  3. Ed Pirrero said:


    Blair P. Houghton said:
    Quoted message said:


    I said, in a post on Mar 31, 2003:

    >> I stated in this forum that I had a bad feeling about this war, said
    feeling being derived from an observation that there was no reason to
    expect that the Bush administration would be any more competent at war
    than it was at anything else, and sadly I have been proven right.<<

    Wow, and that was 3 1/2 years ago, right after the war started and
    before Bush had declared victory in his silly pilot outfit on the deck
    of an aircraft carrier off the US coast.

    I supported the war before I opposed it.

    LOL, good one.

    I was neutral in the beginning, but willing to give GWB the benefit of
    the doubt.

    I wasn't so much giving Bush the benefit of the doubt
    as trusting that our government had the skill to prove
    we had justification, or the professionalism to admit
    we didn't.

    Turns out, under Bush (and Cheney and Rumsfeld and Rove
    and Wolfowitz and Perle), it had no professionalism,
    no honor, no shame, and no sense of history. Only a
    predefined need to start a war in a certain place, and
    a political calculation to act on that need.

    And the rest of the government rolled over for them.

    The congress due to the lies from the CIA. The CIA due to
    the brow-beating from the Pentagon Office of Special Plans,
    created by Rumsfeld and headed by Wolfowitz, that had only
    one "special plan" in mind all the time, and no reluctance
    to threaten intelligence officials to get the information
    cooked.

    Quoted message said:

    My trust was foolish, that much is clear. No matter what the stated
    objectives (which have morphed as time has gone on), it seems that
    we've not made any progress.

    Except toppling Saddam. That one thing was a success.

    We could have done that with a poisoned chocolate bar.

    It wasn't a success, it was an excuse.

    Washing an old lady's windows would not excuse raping
    and murdering her.

    --Blair

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.