"Andy Howell" <andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk> wrote in message
news:BF410A31.457D1%andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk...
Quoted message said:On 4/9/05 20:01, in article [email hidden],
Peewiglet said:This is the branch of Black's where last year I was told that the pair
of Nubuck Meindl boots I was holding couldn't be leather because they
weren't brown, and where I was advised to buy a rucksack that I'd
never tried on by mail-order because they didn't have it in the shop.The Birmingham Blacks is similar. If you know what you want you're OK but
otherwise ...One of the problems with them is that they don't have staff who walk -
often
Quoted message said:they rely on Saturday staff.
But the Saturday staff are employed all week round... If you are lucky a
manager will know what they are talking about (very lucky, IME).
And yet (and I've seen the same thing with
Quoted message said:Millets) the public seems to trust their advice. Yet if they go over the
road to Snow and Rock they will be served be people who like walking. But
somehow Snow and Rock looks a little too professional for some people and
they fall back on good old Blacks !!!
Yeah, Snow and Rock come across as more of a specialist boutique for walking
gear while Millets appear more comfortable and approachable. Little bit of
psychology I picked up in college, Red is an aggressive trend while light
Green and Yellow are calm, friendly colours. Millets are found in most High
Streets in standard retail outlet sites while S&R are few and found in odd
looking sites and buildings (IMO the out of town sites look like car
showrooms).
Nick