Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Re: MOEPED3 is ready to hit the road

Started by DGoncz 22044-0394 · · Last activity · 1 post · 507 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
12 December 2004
Last activity
12 December 2004
Original author
DGoncz 22044-0394
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
507
Views / 30 days
5
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey, gang.

    I got *out there* this morning!

    I got up at 4:15 AM and had ice cold coffee left over from yesterday, my
    glucosamine and other supplements and medications, a pint of Cheerios and
    milk, then turned on the radio, reviewed this thread and had my regular pint
    of hot coffee.

    Around 5:30 some lady came by beeping the horn on her car asking for the
    neighbor, Marivel.

    Just before 6 I left and went over (it's only a block) to fire up the
    system. I plugged in the motor first and felt _some_ turning of the pedals
    as I coasted down Greenwood Drive. I couldn't read the speedo; it was too
    dark.

    Then I started fooling around with the desk lamp and its 20 W fluorescent
    reflector bulb. I clipped it to the seat frame and it lit up first pedaling,
    then coasting downhill. I said hello to Wally, out on her daily
    constitutional. She lost her husband of 40 years in August a year and a half
    ago. After about a half a year she would speak of him with joy in her eyes,
    not sadness. That's how people deal with [censored]. It's actually really healthy
    to reach such acceptance in only half a year. My mother is still depressed.
    We lost my Dad last September, 2003. I digress....but this whole project
    started when Linda died.

    I'd installed a #14 cork in the derailer mount tube after drilling it on the
    Unimat One. Then I glued and screwed in a broom hanger bracket I got in the
    dollar section at Shopper's Warehouse to form a steering column retainer to
    keep the front end from flopping around when parked. So I clipped the desk
    lamp to that thing but the clamp was closed nearly all the way and it wasn't
    holding well. What to do?

    I tried padding it with a rain poncho in a baggie, the kind you use once and
    then can never repack correctly. Too slippery. Then I figured, why not bet
    the bank, and put my key case under the clamp. Just right. You use what
    works.

    With the clamp secured, as soon as I hit a bump, the lamp fell to be
    supported against the AC motor. No problem. It lit up right away and
    remained lit as I climbed the sidewalk to the end of Greenwood Drive and
    descended. Closer to the ground, it might make a decent light for navigating
    terrain. I figured I'd end on a high note.

    I took a pic of the lamp on the bike. Then I took snaps indoors of all the
    major compnents, but there was a lot of visual clutter. I'll upload them
    soon and post links. In our new quarter, we'll work at keeping down the
    background noise. I pulled a hanging halogen torchiere fixture out of my
    trash boxes yesterday. That will help a lot. I have a lamp stand, too, which
    provides better lighting than the flash on the camera. It's more
    predictable.

    I did not notice any impairment in coasting speed with the 20 W bulb on or
    off. It seems like I could ride all night. There's a little chain
    instability at the large cog. I'm considering a 10-32 shoulder screw in the
    generator shaft and a derailer arm on a spring to damp it.

    I do feel drag when I pedal with the wooden support under the dual leg
    kickstand and the light on, but then I am pedaling by hand, not with my
    legs. I haven't got the kickstand leg braces in yet. You can sit and pedal
    as is, but the stand is cam-actuated, and without a brace, it wiggles and
    wears very quickly. I've worn one out with less than an hour of seated
    pedaling. It's on the Peugeot mountain bike now. The kickstand legs are
    square and to drill them correctly they need to be chucked four jaw on a
    really big lathe with the stand opened, or maybe sleeved, to make them round
    so they can be drilled at the right angle to put in spokes which will not
    *bend* when the wingnuts are tightened to secure the stand. It won't be
    easy. The camera will help.

    Please check both groups for two posts made with the AOL newsreader, which
    does not cross post. I'll use Outlook Express from now on.

    Yours,

    Doug Goncz
    Replikon Research
    Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.