Road Cycling · Public discussion

Re: Looking for Specialized Sirrus '05 Review/Comments

Started by Claire Petersky · · Last activity · 5 posts · 505 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
29 December 2005
Last activity
1 January 2006
Original author
Claire Petersky
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
505
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "CL" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I'm looking into buying a 2005 Specialized Sirrus.
    Anyone here own one and can share their experience?

    I am basically looking for a racing bike w/ flat handlebar.
    I did a couple of test-rides and the fit was very good.

    That sounds odd. Why do you want a racing bike? Do you race? If so, why do
    you want flat handlebars?

    I think you should back up and tell us what kind of riding you want to do.
    My guess is you want a road bike, not a racing bike.

    Quoted message said:

    I read many good things and also several bad things
    (especially poor wheelset and crankset). I thought there
    may be some in this newsgroup who ride Sirrus and
    can pass on some info.

    I'm cross-posting this over to rec.bicycles.misc. Rec.bicycles.rides doesn't
    seem to be quite the right place for this message, unless you're planning to
    use the bike for tours or events, not racing.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  2. Well, yes it depends what you are looking for. I bought one 4 months
    ago after test-riding a bunch of other bikes. I've been very happy
    using it mainly for fast commuting (12 miles each way). No problems
    with wheels or gears etc. I think earlier models may have been a bit
    dodgy in that respect. BIG probs with "all purpose" tyres as supplied,
    loads of punctures in urban conditions. Now replaced with Schwalbe
    Marathon+s.
    Happy to answer any other specifics,but as always try before you buy!
    - Pat

  3. Yes, I mean to type road, not racing.
    I was looking to use for commuting and
    light touring.

  4. Yes, I meant to type road, not racing.
    I was looking to use for commuting and
    light touring.

  5. I bought a new Sirrus (the entry level one) for commuting this summer,
    and I love it. The components definitely need some upgrading, but the
    bike is comfortable and well suited for what I use it for. Little by
    little I'll upgrade pieces as they become available on eBay. The only
    change I made was to remove the suspension seatpost and saddle and
    replace with an old road post and flite saddle, and added a rack and
    panniers.

    This spring I'll probably change the tires to make it a bit more
    suitable for gravel rails to trails conversions.

    At <$500 I think it was a steal.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.