Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Re: Is RCN Outsourced to India or Something??

Started by Edward Dolan · · Last activity · 4 posts · 541 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
24 March 2006
Last activity
25 March 2006
Original author
Edward Dolan
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
541
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Mark Hickey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mike Kruger said:

    I personally plan to throw in the towel on this and join the majority.
    My
    thanks to you, Bryanska, Catzz66, and others for furthering my education.

    I finally dug out my 'Little, Brown Compact Handbook' - which is the
    best compilation of grammar and writing rules I've ever seen (not that
    you could tell that by my writing...).

    The text makes it clear that the apostrophe is NEVER used to form a
    plural form of a word. The top-level rule states: "Delete or replace
    any apostrophe in a plural noun, a singular verb, or a possessive
    personal pronoun".

    Some listed examples:

    Not "The Jones' ", but "The Joneses"

    Not "The house is her's. It's roof leaks", but "The house is hers.
    Its roof leaks".

    So there you have it(s). ;-)

    Not quite! Why? Because it just doesn't look right.

    Here is how I would write it based on how it should look:

    The house is hers. Its' roof leaks.

    It's stands for it is. Its as the possessive has to be its' because without
    the apostrophe it just plain looks goofy. Also, I like Jones' or Jones's
    much better than I like Joneses. I think the latter is awkward, looks goofy
    and is likely wrong.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota


  2. Quoted message said:

    Not quite! Why? Because it just doesn't look right.

    Here is how I would write it based on how it should look:

    The house is hers. Its' roof leaks.

    It's stands for it is. Its as the possessive has to be its' because without
    the apostrophe it just plain looks goofy.

    I regret even opening this topic again...

    Ed, that's also incorrect. Sorry dude.

  3. "bryanska" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Edward Dolan said:
    Quoted message said:

    Not quite! Why? Because it just doesn't look right.

    Here is how I would write it based on how it should look:

    The house is hers. Its' roof leaks.

    It's stands for it is. Its as the possessive has to be its' because
    without
    the apostrophe it just plain looks goofy.

    I regret even opening this topic again...

    Ed, that's also incorrect. Sorry dude.

    The grammar books resemble the French Academy with its' attempts to codify
    the French language. You can almost invariably tell whether something is
    right or wrong based on just how it looks. The final arbiter in these
    matters is how the elites use the language, not how the hoi-polloi use the
    language.

    I will be very chagrined if I am proven wrong on this extremely important
    issue. I mean, the world does really hang in the balance here.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

  4. Quoted message said:

    I mean, the world does really hang in the balance here.

    It's very important. I'm basing my entire year on the outcome of this
    conversation. 2006 can be a year of great achievements for me, or it
    can be a harowing descent into booze and pills. Please be careful with
    that apostrophe.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.