Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: Instructions for installing Shimano cantilever brakes.

Started by James Thomson · · Last activity · 5 posts · 735 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
22 March 2005
Last activity
24 March 2005
Original author
James Thomson
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
735
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ken Pisichko said:

    I have a set of Shimano cantilever brakes that I want to install
    on my "being-built" touring bicycle. I have the little cable and
    the two plastic "tubes" (one with metal ends) but I don't know
    how to put this together. None of my bicycles have cantilever
    brakes, so I have no idea whatsoever.

    Here's an exploded view of a late model XT canti:

    http://bernd.sluka.de/Fahrrad/Shimano/TM/BR-M737_1996.gif

    from the archive here:

    http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Hersteller/Shimano/DIGEST.html

    Canti and V-brake models begin BR-M. You may be able to find the serial
    number on the rear of one of the cantilevers.

    Sheldon Brown has a page on adjusting cantilever brakes:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html

    And finally, Shimano have a pdf of their R550 canti:

    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/product/exp_view/BR-R550.pdf

    HTH

    James Thomson

  2. Thanks James, but I still have questions.....

    James Thomson said:
    Ken Pisichko said:

    I have a set of Shimano cantilever brakes that I want to install
    on my "being-built" touring bicycle. I have the little cable and
    the two plastic "tubes" (one with metal ends) but I don't know
    how to put this together. None of my bicycles have cantilever
    brakes, so I have no idea whatsoever.

    Here's an exploded view of a late model XT canti:

    http://bernd.sluka.de/Fahrrad/Shimano/TM/BR-M737_1996.gif

    Part number 11 is actually 2 parts: (1) the circular metal piecs with the cable
    (on the left) and, (2) a plastic tube on the right. I assume a cable goes
    through the plastic tube from the cantilever and then upwards. However, there is
    another curved piece with 2 metal ends and I have not found out what they are
    for, nor what they do.

    The later model one (see below on the shimano site), has a 1-piece cable
    (number 11) attaching to both levers.

    Quoted message said:

    And finally, Shimano have a pdf of their R550 canti:

    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/product/exp_view/BR-R550.pdf

    HTH

    James Thomson

  3. Ken Pisichko said:

    Part number 11 is actually 2 parts: (1) the circular metal piecs with


    the cable

    Quoted message said:

    (on the left) and, (2) a plastic tube on the right. I assume a cable


    goes

    Quoted message said:

    through the plastic tube from the cantilever and then upwards.


    However, there is

    Quoted message said:

    another curved piece with 2 metal ends and I have not found out what


    they are

    Quoted message said:

    for, nor what they do.

    Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question, but are you refering
    to a section of outer cable with ferrules on each end, meant to go
    between the lever and the cable stop?

    And yes, #11 is really two parts. The 'dummy' leg to the left, and the
    damned pastic tube that gets chewed up over the life of 10-20 pairs of
    Koolstop Salmon pads.

  4. Ken Pisichko said:

    Thanks James, but I still have questions.....

    Quoted message said:

    Part number 11 is actually 2 parts: (1) the circular metal piecs with


    the cable

    Quoted message said:

    (on the left) and, (2) a plastic tube on the right. I assume a cable


    goes

    Quoted message said:

    through the plastic tube from the cantilever and then upwards.


    However, there is

    Quoted message said:

    another curved piece with 2 metal ends and I have not found out what


    they are

    Quoted message said:

    for, nor what they do.

    Be careful, if there's one bit of bike wrenching that can win you a
    Darwin Award it's canti brakes.

  5. Brian Huntley said:

    Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question, but are you refering
    to a section of outer cable with ferrules on each end, meant to go
    between the lever and the cable stop?

    Maybe that is what it is!! But the plastic is only about 3 or 4 inches
    long. It does not seem to be anything to do with the lower part of the
    canti braking system. I just cannot visualize it being anything at the
    "cantilever end" of the system.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.