Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: Hubs - worth extra money for "quality"

Started by gwhite · · Last activity · 1 post · 474 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
12 October 2004
Last activity
12 October 2004
Original author
gwhite
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
474
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Retro Bob said:


    In my continuing list of "does it really matter" questions, I'm
    wondering about hubs. OK, sealed bearings have advantages, no
    question about that. Also, a hub that lasts a long time is a nice
    thing to have. A glorious finish is fun too. But, well greased cheap
    alloy hubs from 1965 are still running smooth and I don't need to
    use my hubs for mirrors.

    So, is it worth the extra money for a really expensive hub?

    "Worth" is so subjective, no one can possibly answer this except yourself on a
    case by case basis. What is your calculus for weight, appearance, and sundry
    small factors?

    I have Dura Ace hubs and Sora hubs. Dura Ace is a little bit lighter and has a
    nice polish. Dura Ace came out of the box properly adjusted.

    Sora is a little heavier and isn't as nicely finished. The bearings were
    decidely too tight out of the box and needed adjustment before installation.
    They were pretty smooth once adjusted. Not silken like Suntour Superbe, but
    plenty good enough for training wheels.

    I don't know about durability. My Dura Ace is still going with no trouble, but
    I don't ride on it as much. Sora has taken over for training the past 3-4
    years. Works great so far. I don't anticipate trouble.

    Quoted message said:

    In the
    relative scheme of forces, can a slightly rougher hub have any
    significant effect on speed or effort required to propel the bike ?

    I doubt it factors much -- very fractional at most. Wind resistance and
    overcoming gravity are the biggies. I train on rather generic 36 spoke wheels
    with inexpensive hubs. That's my calculus.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.