Re: hip replacement --and cycling

Tom Sherman

Guest
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "ilaboo" wrote: (clip) if you have a hip replacement could you let me know
> what effect it has had
>> on you cycling? and how long it took after surgery to ride a bike again?
>> and what precautions you take while biking? (clip)

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I stopped riding a number of years ago because of the pain in my hip. After
> the surgery, I was back on the bike within a few months. You have to heed a
> mixed message. Riding helps you recover. However, my surgeon warned me
> that if I fell and broke my hip, my life would never be the same again....

Google "recumbent trike".

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

On Jan 8, 7:42 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Leo Lichtman wrote:
> > "ilaboo" wrote: (clip) if you have a hip replacement could you let me know
> > what effect it has had
> >> on you cycling? and how long it took after surgery to ride a bike again?
> >> and what precautions you take while biking? (clip)

> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > I stopped riding a number of years ago because of the pain in my hip. After
> > the surgery, I was back on the bike within a few months. You have to heed a
> > mixed message. Riding helps you recover. However, my surgeon warned me
> > that if I fell and broke my hip, my life would never be the same again....

> Google "recumbent trike".
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

My wife has a friend whose mother has had both hips and both knees
replaced and she rides a conventional upright. Artificial joints
reduce the range of motion somewhat, but apparently not significantly
enough to curtail riding a bicycle. - Jim McNamara

JimmyMac aka Jim McNamara wrote:
> On Jan 8, 7:42 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Leo Lichtman wrote:
>>> "ilaboo" wrote: (clip) if you have a hip replacement could you let me know
>>> what effect it has had
>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> I stopped riding a number of years ago because of the pain in my hip. After
>>> the surgery, I was back on the bike within a few months. You have to heed a
>>> mixed message. Riding helps you recover. However, my surgeon warned me
>>> that if I fell and broke my hip, my life would never be the same again....

>> Google "recumbent trike".
>>

> My wife has a friend whose mother has had both hips and both knees
> replaced and she rides a conventional upright. Artificial joints
> reduce the range of motion somewhat, but apparently not significantly
> enough to curtail riding a bicycle. - Jim McNamara

Well, the point of Leo Licthman was that the surgeon told him that
breaking a hip in a fall would be a very bad thing. Falling and breaking
a hip on a conventional upright is a lot more likely than if the same
rider was on a recumbent trike.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

On Jan 11, 5:19 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> JimmyMac aka Jim McNamara wrote:
>

> > On Jan 8, 7:42 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >> Google "recumbent trike".

> > My wife has a friend whose mother has had both hips and both knees
> > replaced and she rides a conventional upright. Artificial joints
> > reduce the range of motion somewhat, but apparently not significantly
> > enough to curtail riding a bicycle. - Jim McNamara

> Well, the point of Leo Licthman was that the surgeon told him that
> breaking a hip in a fall would be a very bad thing. Falling and breaking
> a hip on a conventional upright is a lot more likely than if the same
> rider was on a recumbent trike.

No arguments there. That's a given, for sure. I was merely
addressing ilaboo's initial concern/question.

> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

"Tom Sherman" wrote: Well, the point of Leo Licthman was that the surgeon
told him that
> breaking a hip in a fall would be a very bad thing. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, that's exactly what the surgeon was telling me. He also went on to say
that I would have to judge whether to limit my enjoyment of life in fear of
such a disaster. If you rein yourself in to avoid risks, you swap the
possibility of injury for the certainty of boredom. (He didn't say a word
about recumbents.)

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" wrote: Well, the point of Leo Licthman was that the surgeon
> told him that
>> breaking a hip in a fall would be a very bad thing. (clip)

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Yes, that's exactly what the surgeon was telling me. He also went on to say
> that I would have to judge whether to limit my enjoyment of life in fear of
> such a disaster. If you rein yourself in to avoid risks, you swap the
> possibility of injury for the certainty of boredom. (He didn't say a word
> about recumbents.)

Recumbent trikes are NOT boring. A low tadpole is like a pedal powered
go-cart. :)

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tom Sherman" wrote: Well, the point of Leo Licthman was that the surgeon
> told him that
>> breaking a hip in a fall would be a very bad thing. (clip)

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Yes, that's exactly what the surgeon was telling me. He also went on to
> say that I would have to judge whether to limit my enjoyment of life in
> fear of such a disaster. If you rein yourself in to avoid risks, you swap
> the possibility of injury for the certainty of boredom. (He didn't say a
> word about recumbents.)

You might ask your doctor about safe hip, leg, trunk angles as getting in
and out of some recumbent trikes takes a bit of doing. The tadpoles (two
wheels in front) are generally llow, in the range of eight or ten inches.
The lower trikes have good stability when cornering. The delta style (one
wheel front and two in back) are generally higher and a bit more tippy when
cornering.

A recumbent trike can be an invigorating thing to ride.

In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:48:50 -0600
gotbent <[email protected]> wrote:
> You might ask your doctor about safe hip, leg, trunk angles as getting in
> and out of some recumbent trikes takes a bit of doing. The tadpoles (two
> wheels in front) are generally llow, in the range of eight or ten inches.
> The lower trikes have good stability when cornering. The delta style (one
> wheel front and two in back) are generally higher and a bit more tippy when
> cornering.

The Greenspeed Anura doesn't seem to have a rep for being tippy. And
it's higher than other Greenspeeds, so easier to get in and out of.

Zebee