Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Re: Harbour Bridge Ride - Critical Mass

Started by Zebee Johnstone · · Last activity · 4 posts · 902 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
25 November 2006
Last activity
25 November 2006
Original author
Zebee Johnstone
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
902
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In aus.bicycle on Sat, 25 Nov 2006 10:41:21 +1100

    Resound said:


    times like peak hour on a Friday afternoon. That is, bike don't get in the
    way of traffic, bikes ARE traffic. Furthermore you'll notice that once you

    Not ones in large bunches with a police escort.

    *I* am traffic. CM is a nuisance.

    Quoted message said:

    get past a cyclist, you wind up being held up by the same car that was in
    front of you before. In other words, you're exactly where you would have

    Not on the harbour bridge you don't. Nor on the freeway. I have been
    there at that time of day, and it still moves faster than CM was
    moving.

    I'll believe this "we are the traffic" [censored] when they are doing it on
    their own, without escorts, obeying all laws, and doing what I am
    doing day in day out.

    because I am the traffic. They aren't.

    Zebee
    - who does her best not to hold up traffic on her bicycle. If it can
    move faster than I can than why not do my damndest to let it?

  2. Zebee Johnstone said:

    I'll believe this "we are the traffic" [censored] when they are doing it on
    their own, without escorts, obeying all laws, and doing what I am
    doing day in day out.

    Take it up with the police.

  3. "Zebee Johnstone" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In aus.bicycle on Sat, 25 Nov 2006 10:41:21 +1100

    Resound said:


    times like peak hour on a Friday afternoon. That is, bike don't get in
    the
    way of traffic, bikes ARE traffic. Furthermore you'll notice that once
    you

    Not ones in large bunches with a police escort.

    *I* am traffic. CM is a nuisance.

    Granted, which is why I said *bikes* are traffic. Their point is pertinant,
    their actions are less so.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    get past a cyclist, you wind up being held up by the same car that was in
    front of you before. In other words, you're exactly where you would have

    Not on the harbour bridge you don't. Nor on the freeway. I have been
    there at that time of day, and it still moves faster than CM was
    moving.

    A grandmother on the waiting list for a hip replacment pushing a shopping
    jeep with two shagged out wheels is faster than CM. I can't comment on the
    bridge being a Melbournite and I don't ride on the freeway because it
    doesn't go where I want to go and it's a [censored] place to ride, not to metion
    being illegal.

    Quoted message said:

    I'll believe this "we are the traffic" [censored] when they are doing it on
    their own, without escorts, obeying all laws, and doing what I am
    doing day in day out.

    because I am the traffic. They aren't.

    Zebee
    - who does her best not to hold up traffic on her bicycle. If it can
    move faster than I can than why not do my damndest to let it?

    Exactly. We don't have to hold them up much and they don't have to hold us
    up much. A co-operative rather combative approach works well for me and the
    more people that do *that* the more quickly bikes will get accepted. The
    only people who'll be unhappy are the desperate radicals who really just
    want to [censored] people off.

  4. In aus.bicycle on Sun, 26 Nov 2006 01:42:19 +1100

    Resound said:
    Quoted message said:

    Exactly. We don't have to hold them up much and they don't have to hold us
    up much. A co-operative rather combative approach works well for me and the
    more people that do *that* the more quickly bikes will get accepted. The
    only people who'll be unhappy are the desperate radicals who really just
    want to [censored] people off.

    I find the co-operative approach works. I am sure that the more
    sensible commuters who act like traffic but are riding bicycles there
    are, the more used to them drivers get. That is, after all, the Dutch
    experience.

    I'd like more road design that is cycle friendly, and acknowledgement
    that bicycles want direct routes too rather than be shunted off to
    detours. There's a chunk of my commute that has pinch points that are
    only there because of useless wide footpaths (useless as in a) no peds
    and b) it's just a big curved open expanse of paving). If a couple of
    feet was carved off that it would be a lot better. But it won't
    change because bicycles are supposed to take the long way round.

    Then there's the Kent St/Pyrmont Bridge path mess. I see a lot of
    footpath riding and chaos when people try and get onto that path.

    Zebee

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.