General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Good bread bakery in Boston?

Started by Janet Bostwick · · Last activity · 1 post · 197 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 March 2006
Last activity
10 March 2006
Original author
Janet Bostwick
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
197
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Alex Rast" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A little off-topic, perhaps, but I figured the quantity of participants
    here will give me better breadth of replies.

    I'm headed to Boston next week on a lightning visit. I'd like to find a
    good bakery for *bread*, not pastries. (The French have it right - you
    should have separate terms, "boulangerie" and "patisserie" for the 2 types
    of establishments. Why does English lump them together?) It's proving
    difficult to get any advance information because virtually all reviews,
    travel guides, etc focus on patisseries virtually to the exclusion of
    bread. So you'll find plenty of recommendations saying such-and-such a
    place is excellent, then read and see them raving over cakes or pies or
    eclairs or whatever.

    When I think "good", too, I'm not thinking so much of a bakery that's a
    standout for unusual, unique types of bread or a particularly broad
    selection of breads with unusual ingredients. I'm looking for high-quality
    basic breads - e.g. plain white French and Italian, straightforward brown
    bread, ordinary rye, etc. I highly prefer breads not made in a sour style
    (in Seattle sour-style breads are ubiquitous to the point of
    monopolisation).

    Any recommendations?

    --
    Alex Rast

    I posted your question at the other group and this is the reply.

    Quoted message said:
    Janet Bostwick said:

    "An acquaintance is heading to Boston next week and is interested in good
    breads, not sourdough and not pastries. Any recommendations?
    Janet

    Buy ahead and carry with. Or find a Panera's.

    I'm overstating the case only slightly. There actually are a couple of
    places to get decent (not great) bread in Boston. However, you have to eat
    a restaurant meal--an expensive restaurant meal--in order to get the
    bread.

    The best independent bakery I know of in eastern Massachusetts is Nashoba,
    in West Concord, which is about a half-hour outside Boston and definitely
    not good enough to justify the drive (I worked nearby, so it was
    convenient for me).

    This has been a sore point for non-native foodies in Massachusetts for a
    long time. I'm not alone in this view. "


    Janet

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.