General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Food without pepper? (sorta silly, but a real request for ideas)

Started by blake murphy · · Last activity · 1 post · 241 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 March 2007
Last activity
25 March 2007
Original author
blake murphy
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
241
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On 24 Mar 2007 03:49:02 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"

    virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz said:
    Alexis said:

    You know those folks who, immediately upon sitting down for a meal,
    salt *everything* on the plate before tasting any of it?

    Well, I've got this friend whose husband does something similar with
    cracked pepper (he actually does taste it first -- he does have table
    manners), and it's become something of a family joke (I could explain
    it in detail, but you know those things are never as funny in writing
    as they are in the family!).

    So, my friend and her kids would like to prepare a family meal to
    which NO person in his right mind would be able to add pepper to
    anything. They'd like it to be a real sit-down family meal, so
    pancakes straight to coconut cake is out. I have suggested a fruit
    salad in place of a "regular" salad, and dessert is easy, but that's
    where my mind went blank.

    Any thoughts for main dish and side dishes?

    First, allow me to point out that a fruit salad isn't necessarily safe from
    getting peppered. There are plenty of people who put salt and pepper on
    watermelon; it's only a small step to peppering fruit salad.

    Beyond that, as a main course I'd suggest something like halibut in
    papillote with ginger, soy, and lemon. Rice-paper summer rolls with crab,
    carrots, cilantro, and cucumber would be a nice starter.

    Side dishes are a little tricky; I'm hard-pressed to think of one that a
    pepper-lover wouldn't want to pepper. Of course, for this concept, I'd want
    it to go along with the main dish I suggested. Hmm.... maybe spinach with
    coconut milk? Vanilla-scented basmati rice? Those might work.

    Bob

    cantaloupe requires pepper the way watermelon requires salt. (of
    course, while you're adding pepper, you might as well salt it, too.)
    never been tempted to pepper watermelon, though.

    your pal,
    blake

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.