General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Doctor's Testimonies About Chelation

Started by Jan · · Last activity · 3 posts · 462 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 May 2004
Last activity
10 May 2004
Original author
Jan
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
462
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The vultures of the *gang* will try to tear this apart. Ignore them, they are a
    part of organized medicine, and their EGO clouds thier judgment.

    Jan

    http://www.anti-agingmd.com/testimonials2.html

    About Dr. Arrington

    Anti-Aging Medicine
    DHEA
    Human Growth Hormone
    Male Menopause
    Testosterone Treatment

    Chelation Therapy

    Hormone Testing

    Immune Support

    Oasis Anti-Aging Products

    Oxidative Therapy

    Patients' Testimonials

    Questions & Answers

    Recommended Reading

    Email Dr. Arrington

    RELATED LINKS:

    American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine

    American College for Advancement in Medicine

    Reference Literature

    Discussion Forums

    Dr. Dan Roehm, of Pompano Beach, Florida, Chief of the Department of Medicine
    at Broward General Hospital, certified as a diplomate of the American Board of
    Internal Medicine and a Fellow of the American College of Physicians, is a
    prime example of how a good doctor reacts once his interest is high enough to
    do his own first hand chelation research rather than just accept blindly the
    medical party line.

    Dr. Roehm was a main-stream cardiologist until his wife began exhibiting
    symptoms characteristic of subclinical mini-strokes, any one of which might one
    day escalate into a full-blown fatal attack or disabilitating episode.

    "I had nothing to offer; there was nothing I could do to ward off what I saw on
    the horizon." Roehm realized, and so began his urgent search for some way to
    forestall the looming calamity. Once he discovered EDTA, he tried it. When it
    restored his wife's health, Dr. Roehm added chelation and other alternative
    treatments to his practice - and says it's "more satisfying than doing the
    drug-and-surgery oriented medicine I was practicing before."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Dr. Grant Born of Grand Rapids, Michigan, became involved with chelation to
    save himself. He was just forty-three, with no previous history of heart
    disease, when he went into cardiac arrest while attending a football game.

    "My heart just stopped," he recalls. "They revived me, got me to the Mayo
    Clinic, where the doctors agreed I needed bypass surgery - perhaps a heart
    transplant. While I was wrestling with this news, a guy walks into my room with
    a book about chelation therapy and asks, 'Do you know anything about this?' It
    was like somebody sent him.

    "What I read convinced me. I went for treatments. After chelation saved my
    life, I really got interested."

    Dr. Born speaks from experience when he admits there are social as well as
    professional pressures NOT to practice chelation.

    "My first wife was dead-set against my getting mixed up with a controversial
    therapy. Even though EDTA helped me survive, she argued against it when I
    wanted to do it. She worried her reputation with the country club set would be
    wrecked if word got our that I was practicing 'quack-style' medicine."

    Dr. Born resolved his problem. He changed specialties and wives.

    The new Mrs. Born (Dr. Tammy) has no hangups about chelation - she works at his
    side.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Dr. Jack R. Vinton, of Dallas, Texas was a 'young' forty-two years of age, when
    he was told he only had two or three years to live, perhaps five on the
    outside.

    "I had a serious heart condition - arrhythmia, angina, posterior infarction and
    had gone into congestive failure. Conventional medicine didn't have much to
    offer, except the common symptom-relieving drugs.

    "I couldn't work. It was bad. There I was, with a wife and two teenagers,
    forced to retire to a quiet backwater community in the Arizona desert and
    prepare for the end. While i was waiting for the coroner to call, I did a lot
    of reading, and an article headlined 'Doctors in California using Chelation
    Therapy for Heart Disease' caught my attention.

    "I was on the next plane to find out what it was all about - and one week
    later, back in Arizona with enough EDTA to treat myself, began therapy. Two
    months, and thirty treatments after that, I was well enough to discard all my
    drugs, get back on my feet, and return to work."

    That was in 1970. Dr. Vinson is still in practice, still chelating himself, and
    all others for whom he deems it to be a suitable treatment.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    John Ettl, M.D., an El Paso, Texas chelationist, was also his own first EDTA
    patient. A rock hobbyist, he discovered he was suffering near-fatal levels of
    lead toxicity thanks to his hobby of casting unusual specimens.

    "I had all the usual symptoms - irritability, anxiety, and temper,
    sleeplessness, forgetfulness, mental disorientation, blurred vision and poor
    hearing but thought they were age-related problems, though I was only in my
    mid-50's.

    "Fortunately for me, Dr. Harold Harper, a pioneer doctor in this field,
    convinced me it was lead poisoning - not mid-life crisis - and told me to read
    up on the treatment of choice, chelation. As a pathologist, I was extremely
    wary of the potential dangers, and went about it very cautiously.

    "I began slowly, but eventually gave myself over 200 treatments before I got my
    lead levels down to normal. By that time, i was symptom-free, and a chelation
    expert."

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Dr. John Parks Trowbridge in Humble, Texas, learned about chelation therapy
    from is 70-year old father who'd read about it in a health magazine. The elder
    Trowbridge wanted his son to look into EDTA because he'd suffered an aortic
    aneurysm and had other serious circulatory problems.

    Young John, just emerging from a surgical residency in urology, responded
    predictably. "Forget it. it's quackery. if it was any good, wouldn't I have
    heard of it? Wouldn't the medical journals publish reports on a marvelous way
    to reverse atherosclerosis? Wouldn't doctors be using it?"

    It wasn't until several years later that Dr. Trowbridge, a bit older - a lot
    wiser - was embarrassed to remember those hasty, cocky words. His parents had
    grown older, too - and sicker when a chance meeting with
    physician/nutritionist/chelationist Robert Haskell, M.D. encouraged him to take
    a second look. What Dr. Haskell showed Dr. Trowbridge amazed him - medical
    records of recovered patients whose test readings and clinical exams proved
    beyond doubt how much they'd benefited from chelation treatments.

    Still only partially convinced, Dr. Trowbridge flew from one chelation clinic
    to another to check things out - to Alabama, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma,
    California. He made dozens of stops in as many cities, as he criss-crossed the
    country in search of more data.

    "Every chelation doctor I visited was so enthusiastic about what he was doing,
    and so eager to open his patient files, I could no longer question
    effectiveness. Cabinets full of case histories clearly showed chelation therapy
    was a revolutionary method for overcoming degenerative disease. It blew my
    mind!"

    No question as to Dr. Trowbridge's motives when he changed from critic to
    advocate. The first patients he chelated were Claire and Jack Trowbridge, his
    mom and dad.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Dr. Harold Huffman of Hinton, Virginia, is another doctor whose first chelation
    patient was good old dad.

    "It was 1982, and my father, 70 years old at the time, was a diabetic,
    suffering from diabetic retinopathy, and had already lost one foot because of
    gangrene and was facing the loss of the other. A physician himself, he knew the
    prognosis was not good. I called a nurse in Indiana who knew a lot about
    alternative medicine, and asked her what we could do. She recommended chelation
    and I say 'what's that?'

    "She filled me in on the fine details. I learned how to do it, and while I
    wasn't convinced it was any good, knew it was dad's only hope of avoiding a
    second amputation.

    "Talk about reluctant - I don't remember which one of us had more qualms, him
    or me. But we sure went into it with our fingers crossed - and were more
    surprised than anyone when the treatments worked. it saved his remaining leg -
    even restored his eyesight - and he continued practicing medicine for five more
    years."

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Dr. Ronald Hoffman of New York City, an outspoken advocate of holistic
    medicine, looked into chelation after having dinner with a talkative nurse.

    "Throughout the meal, this lady regaled me with tales of miracle cures:
    patients who'd been brought back from the brink of death and were now
    symptom-free and one hard-to-believe story after another about people whose
    legs had been saved from amputation. I couldn't get her to talk about anything
    else.

    "I thought, either this dame's a nut - or chelation is worth a closer look. I
    decided to investigate and discovered everything this lady said was the
    absolute truth. That was nine years ago, and I've been practicing chelation
    ever since."

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Skeptical from the outset, Dr. Terry Chappell of Blufton, Ohio, latched onto
    chelation after listening carefully to what people told him.

    "I was nagged into it (chelation) by a patient," he admits, telling about "an
    important local honcho. This executive of a very large corporation had been
    traveling for more than 11 hours each way to get chelation treatments from the
    nearest doctor he could find. Since he didn't want to spend all that time on
    the road, he kept after me, pestering me every other day to insist I check it
    out.

    "I wasn't terribly interested, but I wasn't hopelessly doctrinaire, either. I
    was mildly curious about nutrition, meditation, hypnosis - things like that.
    This guy was so persistent, I gave in, and visited several chelation doctors.
    Once I checked things out, I had no choice. Chelation works and here I am."

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    David Freeman, M.D. of North Hollywood, California is yet another non-believer
    who was dragged into chelation, protesting all the way that he could NOT get
    involved with quackery.

    "A dozen years ago, I'd have sworn this chelation was a bunch of garbage. I was
    well up on the conventional medical literature, and believed what I read: 'no
    proven value', 'fraudulent claims', 'anecdotal evidence from unreliable
    source'. Who needed it!

    "As it turned out, many of my patients thought THEY needed it - a lot. One
    after another, they began bugging me to look into it. I turned thumbs down.

    "Then, as luck would have it, an old medical school chum visited me. I knew
    this guy was a solid scholar, totally reliable with a sterling intellect and
    unquestionably ethical. We'd interned together, and I'd trust this doc with my
    life. When he started praising chelation, spinning astonishing tales of miracle
    cures, I just had to listen. Since then, I've learned a lot - about chelation,
    and what it means to be labeled a 'quack'.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    When we asked Dr. Irby Fox of Abilene, Texas how he came to choose chelation as
    a treatment, he said, "It was an accident. A patient who had a bypass that
    failed, was in pretty bad shape, and begged me to chelate him.

    "I hedged a lot. I don't know anything about this, I told him. But I'll check
    it out, and if that's what you want, I'll do it, provided you sign an agreement
    that if your wife, kids or their relatives sue, I can use your estate to defend
    myself.

    "I was being pretty cautious, but once I got started, I couldn't stop. This
    first guy got well; the next chelated patient did also. It's incredible. I
    really didn't want to get interested in anything so controversial - I'm no
    hero. The real heroes are the patients who insist on being chelated despite all
    the bad things their doctors say about it.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------
    Dr. John Schwent of Festus, Missouri was a conservative main-stream physician
    until he lost several young patients only a short time after undergoing bypass
    surgery.

    "It was frustrating," he recalls, "to send thirty- and forty year-olds off for
    bypasses only to have them die in a couple of years."

    Then Mrs. Schwent's best friend, an attorney, began having angina attacks and
    instead of bypass surgery, opted for chelation treatments and the results were
    fantastic. He got well!

    "I got a book about chelation and sat us all night reading it. One of my
    classmates, a Chuck Curtis, was mentioned in the book, so I called him. 'Are
    you practicing this voodoo medicine?' He laughed and said, 'For eight years
    now' and when I asked him, 'Killed anyone yet?' he got serious and replied,
    'No, but if you've got two weeks to spare, I can use ever minute telling you
    great stories about the lives I've saved.'

    "I wound up spending an entire year visiting chelation clinics all over the
    United States. Then I took the ACAM course and still didn't give the first
    treatment. I was very reluctant to get into it. I knew that introducing
    chelation into my practice would jeopardize my professional standing, and
    perhaps lead to my being ostracized. In spite of it all, I had to go ahead. I
    wouldn't be honest to know how to cure people and refuse to do it."

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Dr. James Swann of Independence is a "show me, I'm from Missouri" sort of
    physician.

    "I first heard about chelation in 1973 at a Jackson County Medical Society
    meeting when a Dr. Paul Williams, the author of two medical textbooks, tried to
    educate us on its usefulness for atherosclerosis. Nobody in the room knew
    anything about it - we couldn't event spell it.

    "The lecture over, I hung around to chat with Paul, and it surprised me to
    learn that the American Journal of Cardiology had published favorable reports
    on this treatment. It bothered me that almost no one was following up,
    investigating, or using it." Dr. Swann's movement of decision came when a close
    friend whose triple bypass had failed (all three grafts had closed) only four
    months after surgery, came to visit. She'd been sent home to die, but had heard
    of chelation and there she and her husband sat, in Dr. Swann's living room,
    begging for the treatment.

    "'Lill,' I said 'I sure would like a better cause than you to practice on.
    You're going to die on me, and we'll all look bad.'

    "She was a spunky rascal. When she said, 'I'd rather die trying, than die doing
    nothing,' she got to me. I said 'OK. If you're willing, I am.'

    "We started her out on three chelation treatments a week. That was twenty years
    ago, and she's alive today and still going strong. That's the case that brought
    me around."

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    It would be hard to find a more conservative physician than Dr. Conrad
    ("Connie"😉 Maulfair, Jr. of Mertztown, Pennsylvania. A farm boy and
    Pennsylvania Dutchman, reared in the lad of the Amish, you can imagine his
    reaction when a patient brought him an article about chelation in a
    holistic-type magazine published - where else? - in California. He snorted. He
    sneered. He said, "What can you expect from those west coast loonies?" He
    dismissed the idea without a second thought. But then came a second, third,
    fourth patient - all asking questions about chelation, all bringing books and
    articles, or as Connie put it, "telling tall tales."

    True to his heritage, Dr. M refused to be "pushed." For six years, he shrugged
    the subject off, before coming around to investigate for himself. That was ten
    years ago, and now he not only treats patients, he trains other doctors how to
    administer EDTA infusions properly.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Dr. Milton Fried of Atlanta, Georgia, insists that he never set out to be a
    rebel.

    "I'm very thin-skinned and hate doing anything than exposes me to criticism -
    BUT - on the other hand, I'd feel worse not doing what I know to be best for
    patients.

    "I was a resident in a New York hospital when a patient with a blue leg and
    gangrene of the toes and foot, was scheduled for amputation. When he told us he
    was going to get chelated instead, we warned him that it was bunk, and advised
    against it. He got chelated anyhow, and weeks later came back with the leg
    healed, and just lorded it over us.

    "The other docs ignored the whole thing, but I thought 'Hey, wait a minute.
    There's something to this.' I started studying chelation. That was the easy
    part. Working up the chutzpah to do it was tough. I knew it meant parting
    company with the 'respectable' docs, taking a lot of flack, jeopardizing my
    reputation and income. It was a hard decision - but I had to do it.

    "I've never been sorry. I got a lot of 'nachis' - that's Yiddish for 'pride and
    satisfaction." I'll tell you what makes me mad - all the doctors who come to me
    for chelation when they get sick - or send their wives, friends, relatives -
    and never let it be known. They tell me, "I wish I had your nerve." I tell them
    they're gutless wonders."

    Dr. Gerald Parker of Amarillo, Texas, says Dr. Fried is the perfect example of
    chelation doctors who should be proud to be called 'quacks'.

    "There's a fine breed of 'Quacks' - they're the rare medical birds who are not
    satisfied with what they're taught in medical school and are willing to explore
    new approaches. These 'quacks' become frustrated when they can't help a patient
    recover, and they look for a better way."

    Excerpted from FORTY SOMETHING FOREVER, A CONSUMER'S GUIDE TO CHELATION THERAPY
    AND OTHER HEART-SAVERS by Harold and Arline Brecher, Co-authors of BYPASSING BYPASS.

  2. "Jan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The vultures of the *gang* will try to tear this apart.

    Why would we bother? Testimonial and anecdotal claims have totally
    discredited themselves by becoming attached to any old nonsense. Most
    people see this.

    Peter Mran

  3. Quoted message said:

    Subject: Re: Doctor's Testimonies About Chelation
    From: "Peter Moran" [email hidden]
    Date: 5/9/2004 10:26 PM Pacific Standard Time
    Message-id:
    <[email hidden]>

    "Jan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The vultures of the *gang* will try to tear this apart.

    Why would we bother? Testimonial and anecdotal claims have totally
    discredited themselves by becoming attached to any old nonsense. Most
    people see this.

    Peter Mran

    No, they have not, it is the *gang* who discredits them. As anyone can see
    these doctors have examples of success and are not waiting for organized
    medicine to get real.

    It is noted as a member of evil organized medicine, you call this
    success,,,,,,,,,,,,,nonsense.

    Proving my point that the *gang* is totally dishonest. By your words, you
    clearly show that sticking to the claims of EOM is number one with you and NOT
    saving lives.

    Pathetic.

    Jan

    http://www.anti-agingmd.com/testimonials2.html

    About Dr. Arrington

    Anti-Aging Medicine
    DHEA
    Human Growth Hormone
    Male Menopause
    Testosterone Treatment

    Chelation Therapy

    Hormone Testing

    Immune Support

    Oasis Anti-Aging Products

    Oxidative Therapy

    Patients' Testimonials

    Questions & Answers

    Recommended Reading

    Email Dr. Arrington

    RELATED LINKS:

    American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine

    American College for Advancement in Medicine

    Reference Literature

    Discussion Forums

    Dr. Dan Roehm, of Pompano Beach, Florida, Chief of the Department of Medicine
    at Broward General Hospital, certified as a diplomate of the American Board of
    Internal Medicine and a Fellow of the American College of Physicians, is a
    prime example of how a good doctor reacts once his interest is high enough to
    do his own first hand chelation research rather than just accept blindly the
    medical party line.

    Dr. Roehm was a main-stream cardiologist until his wife began exhibiting
    symptoms characteristic of subclinical mini-strokes, any one of which might one
    day escalate into a full-blown fatal attack or disabilitating episode.

    "I had nothing to offer; there was nothing I could do to ward off what I saw on
    the horizon." Roehm realized, and so began his urgent search for some way to
    forestall the looming calamity. Once he discovered EDTA, he tried it. When it
    restored his wife's health, Dr. Roehm added chelation and other alternative
    treatments to his practice - and says it's "more satisfying than doing the
    drug-and-surgery oriented medicine I was practicing before."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Dr. Grant Born of Grand Rapids, Michigan, became involved with chelation to
    save himself. He was just forty-three, with no previous history of heart
    disease, when he went into cardiac arrest while attending a football game.

    "My heart just stopped," he recalls. "They revived me, got me to the Mayo
    Clinic, where the doctors agreed I needed bypass surgery - perhaps a heart
    transplant. While I was wrestling with this news, a guy walks into my room with
    a book about chelation therapy and asks, 'Do you know anything about this?' It
    was like somebody sent him.

    "What I read convinced me. I went for treatments. After chelation saved my
    life, I really got interested."

    Dr. Born speaks from experience when he admits there are social as well as
    professional pressures NOT to practice chelation.

    "My first wife was dead-set against my getting mixed up with a controversial
    therapy. Even though EDTA helped me survive, she argued against it when I
    wanted to do it. She worried her reputation with the country club set would be
    wrecked if word got our that I was practicing 'quack-style' medicine."

    Dr. Born resolved his problem. He changed specialties and wives.

    The new Mrs. Born (Dr. Tammy) has no hangups about chelation - she works at his
    side.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Dr. Jack R. Vinton, of Dallas, Texas was a 'young' forty-two years of age, when
    he was told he only had two or three years to live, perhaps five on the
    outside.

    "I had a serious heart condition - arrhythmia, angina, posterior infarction and
    had gone into congestive failure. Conventional medicine didn't have much to
    offer, except the common symptom-relieving drugs.

    "I couldn't work. It was bad. There I was, with a wife and two teenagers,
    forced to retire to a quiet backwater community in the Arizona desert and
    prepare for the end. While i was waiting for the coroner to call, I did a lot
    of reading, and an article headlined 'Doctors in California using Chelation
    Therapy for Heart Disease' caught my attention.

    "I was on the next plane to find out what it was all about - and one week
    later, back in Arizona with enough EDTA to treat myself, began therapy. Two
    months, and thirty treatments after that, I was well enough to discard all my
    drugs, get back on my feet, and return to work."

    That was in 1970. Dr. Vinson is still in practice, still chelating himself, and
    all others for whom he deems it to be a suitable treatment.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    John Ettl, M.D., an El Paso, Texas chelationist, was also his own first EDTA
    patient. A rock hobbyist, he discovered he was suffering near-fatal levels of
    lead toxicity thanks to his hobby of casting unusual specimens.

    "I had all the usual symptoms - irritability, anxiety, and temper,
    sleeplessness, forgetfulness, mental disorientation, blurred vision and poor
    hearing but thought they were age-related problems, though I was only in my
    mid-50's.

    "Fortunately for me, Dr. Harold Harper, a pioneer doctor in this field,
    convinced me it was lead poisoning - not mid-life crisis - and told me to read
    up on the treatment of choice, chelation. As a pathologist, I was extremely
    wary of the potential dangers, and went about it very cautiously.

    "I began slowly, but eventually gave myself over 200 treatments before I got my
    lead levels down to normal. By that time, i was symptom-free, and a chelation
    expert."

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Dr. John Parks Trowbridge in Humble, Texas, learned about chelation therapy
    from is 70-year old father who'd read about it in a health magazine. The elder
    Trowbridge wanted his son to look into EDTA because he'd suffered an aortic
    aneurysm and had other serious circulatory problems.

    Young John, just emerging from a surgical residency in urology, responded
    predictably. "Forget it. it's quackery. if it was any good, wouldn't I have
    heard of it? Wouldn't the medical journals publish reports on a marvelous way
    to reverse atherosclerosis? Wouldn't doctors be using it?"

    It wasn't until several years later that Dr. Trowbridge, a bit older - a lot
    wiser - was embarrassed to remember those hasty, cocky words. His parents had
    grown older, too - and sicker when a chance meeting with
    physician/nutritionist/chelationist Robert Haskell, M.D. encouraged him to take
    a second look. What Dr. Haskell showed Dr. Trowbridge amazed him - medical
    records of recovered patients whose test readings and clinical exams proved
    beyond doubt how much they'd benefited from chelation treatments.

    Still only partially convinced, Dr. Trowbridge flew from one chelation clinic
    to another to check things out - to Alabama, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma,
    California. He made dozens of stops in as many cities, as he criss-crossed the
    country in search of more data.

    "Every chelation doctor I visited was so enthusiastic about what he was doing,
    and so eager to open his patient files, I could no longer question
    effectiveness. Cabinets full of case histories clearly showed chelation therapy
    was a revolutionary method for overcoming degenerative disease. It blew my
    mind!"

    No question as to Dr. Trowbridge's motives when he changed from critic to
    advocate. The first patients he chelated were Claire and Jack Trowbridge, his
    mom and dad.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Dr. Harold Huffman of Hinton, Virginia, is another doctor whose first chelation
    patient was good old dad.

    "It was 1982, and my father, 70 years old at the time, was a diabetic,
    suffering from diabetic retinopathy, and had already lost one foot because of
    gangrene and was facing the loss of the other. A physician himself, he knew the
    prognosis was not good. I called a nurse in Indiana who knew a lot about
    alternative medicine, and asked her what we could do. She recommended chelation
    and I say 'what's that?'

    "She filled me in on the fine details. I learned how to do it, and while I
    wasn't convinced it was any good, knew it was dad's only hope of avoiding a
    second amputation.

    "Talk about reluctant - I don't remember which one of us had more qualms, him
    or me. But we sure went into it with our fingers crossed - and were more
    surprised than anyone when the treatments worked. it saved his remaining leg -
    even restored his eyesight - and he continued practicing medicine for five more
    years."

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Dr. Ronald Hoffman of New York City, an outspoken advocate of holistic
    medicine, looked into chelation after having dinner with a talkative nurse.

    "Throughout the meal, this lady regaled me with tales of miracle cures:
    patients who'd been brought back from the brink of death and were now
    symptom-free and one hard-to-believe story after another about people whose
    legs had been saved from amputation. I couldn't get her to talk about anything
    else.

    "I thought, either this dame's a nut - or chelation is worth a closer look. I
    decided to investigate and discovered everything this lady said was the
    absolute truth. That was nine years ago, and I've been practicing chelation
    ever since."

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Skeptical from the outset, Dr. Terry Chappell of Blufton, Ohio, latched onto
    chelation after listening carefully to what people told him.

    "I was nagged into it (chelation) by a patient," he admits, telling about "an
    important local honcho. This executive of a very large corporation had been
    traveling for more than 11 hours each way to get chelation treatments from the
    nearest doctor he could find. Since he didn't want to spend all that time on
    the road, he kept after me, pestering me every other day to insist I check it
    out.

    "I wasn't terribly interested, but I wasn't hopelessly doctrinaire, either. I
    was mildly curious about nutrition, meditation, hypnosis - things like that.
    This guy was so persistent, I gave in, and visited several chelation doctors.
    Once I checked things out, I had no choice. Chelation works and here I am."

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    David Freeman, M.D. of North Hollywood, California is yet another non-believer
    who was dragged into chelation, protesting all the way that he could NOT get
    involved with quackery.

    "A dozen years ago, I'd have sworn this chelation was a bunch of garbage. I was
    well up on the conventional medical literature, and believed what I read: 'no
    proven value', 'fraudulent claims', 'anecdotal evidence from unreliable
    source'. Who needed it!

    "As it turned out, many of my patients thought THEY needed it - a lot. One
    after another, they began bugging me to look into it. I turned thumbs down.

    "Then, as luck would have it, an old medical school chum visited me. I knew
    this guy was a solid scholar, totally reliable with a sterling intellect and
    unquestionably ethical. We'd interned together, and I'd trust this doc with my
    life. When he started praising chelation, spinning astonishing tales of miracle
    cures, I just had to listen. Since then, I've learned a lot - about chelation,
    and what it means to be labeled a 'quack'.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    When we asked Dr. Irby Fox of Abilene, Texas how he came to choose chelation as
    a treatment, he said, "It was an accident. A patient who had a bypass that
    failed, was in pretty bad shape, and begged me to chelate him.

    "I hedged a lot. I don't know anything about this, I told him. But I'll check
    it out, and if that's what you want, I'll do it, provided you sign an agreement
    that if your wife, kids or their relatives sue, I can use your estate to defend
    myself.

    "I was being pretty cautious, but once I got started, I couldn't stop. This
    first guy got well; the next chelated patient did also. It's incredible. I
    really didn't want to get interested in anything so controversial - I'm no
    hero. The real heroes are the patients who insist on being chelated despite all
    the bad things their doctors say about it.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------
    Dr. John Schwent of Festus, Missouri was a conservative main-stream physician
    until he lost several young patients only a short time after undergoing bypass
    surgery.

    "It was frustrating," he recalls, "to send thirty- and forty year-olds off for
    bypasses only to have them die in a couple of years."

    Then Mrs. Schwent's best friend, an attorney, began having angina attacks and
    instead of bypass surgery, opted for chelation treatments and the results were
    fantastic. He got well!

    "I got a book about chelation and sat us all night reading it. One of my
    classmates, a Chuck Curtis, was mentioned in the book, so I called him. 'Are
    you practicing this voodoo medicine?' He laughed and said, 'For eight years
    now' and when I asked him, 'Killed anyone yet?' he got serious and replied,
    'No, but if you've got two weeks to spare, I can use ever minute telling you
    great stories about the lives I've saved.'

    "I wound up spending an entire year visiting chelation clinics all over the
    United States. Then I took the ACAM course and still didn't give the first
    treatment. I was very reluctant to get into it. I knew that introducing
    chelation into my practice would jeopardize my professional standing, and
    perhaps lead to my being ostracized. In spite of it all, I had to go ahead. I
    wouldn't be honest to know how to cure people and refuse to do it."

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Dr. James Swann of Independence is a "show me, I'm from Missouri" sort of
    physician.

    "I first heard about chelation in 1973 at a Jackson County Medical Society
    meeting when a Dr. Paul Williams, the author of two medical textbooks, tried to
    educate us on its usefulness for atherosclerosis. Nobody in the room knew
    anything about it - we couldn't event spell it.

    "The lecture over, I hung around to chat with Paul, and it surprised me to
    learn that the American Journal of Cardiology had published favorable reports
    on this treatment. It bothered me that almost no one was following up,
    investigating, or using it." Dr. Swann's movement of decision came when a close
    friend whose triple bypass had failed (all three grafts had closed) only four
    months after surgery, came to visit. She'd been sent home to die, but had heard
    of chelation and there she and her husband sat, in Dr. Swann's living room,
    begging for the treatment.

    "'Lill,' I said 'I sure would like a better cause than you to practice on.
    You're going to die on me, and we'll all look bad.'

    "She was a spunky rascal. When she said, 'I'd rather die trying, than die doing
    nothing,' she got to me. I said 'OK. If you're willing, I am.'

    "We started her out on three chelation treatments a week. That was twenty years
    ago, and she's alive today and still going strong. That's the case that brought
    me around."

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    It would be hard to find a more conservative physician than Dr. Conrad
    ("Connie"😉 Maulfair, Jr. of Mertztown, Pennsylvania. A farm boy and
    Pennsylvania Dutchman, reared in the lad of the Amish, you can imagine his
    reaction when a patient brought him an article about chelation in a
    holistic-type magazine published - where else? - in California. He snorted. He
    sneered. He said, "What can you expect from those west coast loonies?" He
    dismissed the idea without a second thought. But then came a second, third,
    fourth patient - all asking questions about chelation, all bringing books and
    articles, or as Connie put it, "telling tall tales."

    True to his heritage, Dr. M refused to be "pushed." For six years, he shrugged
    the subject off, before coming around to investigate for himself. That was ten
    years ago, and now he not only treats patients, he trains other doctors how to
    administer EDTA infusions properly.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------

    Dr. Milton Fried of Atlanta, Georgia, insists that he never set out to be a
    rebel.

    "I'm very thin-skinned and hate doing anything than exposes me to criticism -
    BUT - on the other hand, I'd feel worse not doing what I know to be best for
    patients.

    "I was a resident in a New York hospital when a patient with a blue leg and
    gangrene of the toes and foot, was scheduled for amputation. When he told us he
    was going to get chelated instead, we warned him that it was bunk, and advised
    against it. He got chelated anyhow, and weeks later came back with the leg
    healed, and just lorded it over us.

    "The other docs ignored the whole thing, but I thought 'Hey, wait a minute.
    There's something to this.' I started studying chelation. That was the easy
    part. Working up the chutzpah to do it was tough. I knew it meant parting
    company with the 'respectable' docs, taking a lot of flack, jeopardizing my
    reputation and income. It was a hard decision - but I had to do it.

    "I've never been sorry. I got a lot of 'nachis' - that's Yiddish for 'pride and
    satisfaction." I'll tell you what makes me mad - all the doctors who come to me
    for chelation when they get sick - or send their wives, friends, relatives -
    and never let it be known. They tell me, "I wish I had your nerve." I tell them
    they're gutless wonders."

    Dr. Gerald Parker of Amarillo, Texas, says Dr. Fried is the perfect example of
    chelation doctors who should be proud to be called 'quacks'.

    "There's a fine breed of 'Quacks' - they're the rare medical birds who are not
    satisfied with what they're taught in medical school and are willing to explore
    new approaches. These 'quacks' become frustrated when they can't help a patient
    recover, and they look for a better way."

    Excerpted from FORTY SOMETHING FOREVER, A CONSUMER'S GUIDE TO CHELATION THERAPY
    AND OTHER HEART-SAVERS by Harold and Arline Brecher, Co-authors of BYPASSING
    BYPASS.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.