Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: Choosing low-end 9-speed Campagnolo group?

Started by Mark D · · Last activity · 2 posts · 386 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
12 May 2005
Last activity
13 May 2005
Original author
Mark D
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
386
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So I could have a fully working 9-speed system with a 10-cassette?
    Thanks
    mike
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Mike, I got a little confused here with this last question you
    posed. If I have misunderstood, please forgive me

    If you're asking if you can use Campy Veloce 9sp Shifters with a Campy
    Veloce10-sp Cassette, I don't believe so. (As others mentioned, the
    Shifters/Brifters can be converted/upgraded if desired)

    I'll let Peter comment some more, as he knows Campy in, and out.

    I also don't believe a Campy Veloce 9 sp Rear Derailleur will work with
    a 10-sp Campy Cassette, and Chain. (Can't comment on Shimano mixed in)

    Probably a Veloce 9sp Front Derailleur would work with the 10-sp Chain,
    as the F-Derailluer cage would be wide enough to permit shifting on the
    Chain Rings, but will no doubt not work as crisply/positively as a
    dedicated Campy 10-sp F-Derailleur, as it has a narrower cage that is
    desined for the 10-sp Chain. (Now I hope I haven't confused you! lol)

    Since you mention a price already for a Veloce group, perhaps it's best
    to buy all the proper group parts all at once, this way you won't ever
    have any issues of any kind with compatibility.
    Since you seem to have a desire to lean towards Campy Parts, perhaps
    best to keep the entire bike "Italian" as far as drivetrain components
    go.

    One of the main reasons I chose to slowly acquire these parts from Ebay
    for my Paramount 50th build, (I wasn't in a hurry with this one) rather
    than buy an entire group at once, as I had a desire to mix, and match in
    some vintage parts, such as NOS C-Record Aero Seat Post, NOS Cinelli
    Bar, and Stems (from Ebay), and decided to buy pre-built Wheelsmith Gold
    Label Campy Record Hubs/Mavic Silver Open Pro Wheels. ($300 from Ebay)

    There would be no compatibility issues using these same Record/Mavic
    Wheels/Hubs I have used in either a Veloce/Mirage Drivetrain. A Veloce
    All Steel Cassette would button right up no problems. Just remember,
    there are two different sizes of Campy Cassette Lockrings, one for 11
    Tooth Cogs, and the others (I believe two available, one chrome steel,
    and the other I believe is a costlier Titanium) are for 12 tooth, and
    up) Mark

  2. Mark D said:

    So I could have a fully working 9-speed system with a 10-cassette?
    Thanks
    mike
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Mike, I got a little confused here with this last question you
    posed. If I have misunderstood, please forgive me

    If you're asking if you can use Campy Veloce 9sp Shifters with a


    Campy

    Quoted message said:

    Veloce10-sp Cassette, I don't believe so. (As others mentioned, the
    Shifters/Brifters can be converted/upgraded if desired)

    I'll let Peter comment some more, as he knows Campy in, and out.

    I also don't believe a Campy Veloce 9 sp Rear Derailleur will work


    with

    Quoted message said:

    a 10-sp Campy Cassette, and Chain. (Can't comment on Shimano mixed


    in)

    Not true, any Campag rear der will work with any shifter, ERGO, barend
    or downtube. Just gotta match the shifter to the cogset, if using a
    Campag cogset-8s->8s, 9s->9s, 10s->10s...but the rear der doesn't care,
    regardless of what some web site 'experts' say...(BB)...

    Same for front der as mentioned below....the thing that shifts the
    chain is the inner cage, which is the same for all Campag front ders.

    Quoted message said:


    Probably a Veloce 9sp Front Derailleur would work with the 10-sp


    Chain,

    Quoted message said:

    as the F-Derailluer cage would be wide enough to permit shifting on


    the

    Quoted message said:

    Chain Rings, but will no doubt not work as crisply/positively as a
    dedicated Campy 10-sp F-Derailleur, as it has a narrower cage that is
    desined for the 10-sp Chain. (Now I hope I haven't confused you!


    lol)

    Quoted message said:


    Since you mention a price already for a Veloce group, perhaps it's


    best

    Quoted message said:

    to buy all the proper group parts all at once, this way you won't


    ever

    Quoted message said:

    have any issues of any kind with compatibility.
    Since you seem to have a desire to lean towards Campy Parts, perhaps
    best to keep the entire bike "Italian" as far as drivetrain


    components

    Quoted message said:

    go.

    One of the main reasons I chose to slowly acquire these parts from


    Ebay

    Quoted message said:

    for my Paramount 50th build, (I wasn't in a hurry with this one)


    rather

    Quoted message said:

    than buy an entire group at once, as I had a desire to mix, and match


    in

    Quoted message said:

    some vintage parts, such as NOS C-Record Aero Seat Post, NOS Cinelli
    Bar, and Stems (from Ebay), and decided to buy pre-built Wheelsmith


    Gold

    Quoted message said:

    Label Campy Record Hubs/Mavic Silver Open Pro Wheels. ($300 from


    Ebay)

    Quoted message said:


    There would be no compatibility issues using these same Record/Mavic
    Wheels/Hubs I have used in either a Veloce/Mirage Drivetrain. A


    Veloce

    Quoted message said:

    All Steel Cassette would button right up no problems. Just remember,
    there are two different sizes of Campy Cassette Lockrings, one for 11
    Tooth Cogs, and the others (I believe two available, one chrome


    steel,

    Quoted message said:

    and the other I believe is a costlier Titanium) are for 12 tooth, and
    up) Mark

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.