General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Anti-quackery committee

Started by Peter Bowditch · · Last activity · 1 post · 254 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 September 2003
Last activity
26 September 2003
Original author
Peter Bowditch
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
254
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Peter Bowditch said:
    (Jan) said:
    Quoted message said:

    Subject: Anti-quackery committee
    From: Peter Bowditch [email hidden]
    Date: 11/24/02 4:36 PM US Eastern Standard Time
    Message-id: <[email hidden]>

    On the front page of this week's update to The Millenium Project

    http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/

    Quoted message said:

    Will you be praying? People with consciences won't

    With two years still to go until the next Olympics, Jan puts in a
    pre-emptive bid for a gold medal in Diversion and Deception.

    Observant people will note that the topic of this thread is
    "Anti-quackery committee". My original message contained what I had
    said on my site. Jan snipped this IN ITS ENTIRETY (without any
    acknowledgement of the snipping, of course), and then quoted the
    headline from another article on the site as if it had something to do
    with what I had been talking about. She even managed to get the number
    of ">" marks just right to make it look like the words "Will you be
    praying? People with consciences won't" appeared in my original
    message. She took out words without saying that she had done so and
    added some other words as if they had been there all along.

    And she keeps accusing me and many other people of lying!

    Quoted message said:

    Peter now decides *who* should be praying???

    A real control problem!

    I decide nothing. And while we are talking about the words you
    fraudulently quoted as if they were in the original message, "Will you
    be praying? People with consciences won't", why don't you tell us what
    you think about what they referred to?

    Do you believe it is better to pray for a murderer than to pray for
    the small child that the murderer cruelly beat to death? Remember that
    the murderer is totally unrepentant, and that the day of prayer is the
    anniversary of another violent crime that the thug committed in an
    attempt to avoid taking responsibility for his actions.

    Quoted message said:

    The 100,000 needless deaths (16/11/02)
    A couple of years ago, a study was published which claimed that the number of
    deaths caused by medical errors in hospitals in the USA was somewhere between
    48,000 and 94,000 each year.

    The size of this range of results is enough to indicate that the values are
    meaningless, and the numbers have been debunked by others so I won't repeat
    that work here. I am interested in the "100,000" number which gets repeated ad
    nauseum. Someone keeps ranting at me on newsgroups and demanding that, as well
    as looking at quackery, I should be investigating those real doctors who keep
    killing people. Constant reference is made to the "100,000 needless deaths"
    each year in the US, and I am asked what I have to say about this horror. On 7
    December, 1999, I sent a message to the Healthfraud Discussion List commenting
    on the 48-94,000 numbers in which I said: "There appears to be a lot of
    uncertainty in the data gathering. The alt-medders will use the upper estimate,
    of course (rounded up to 100,000 and with the qualifier "more than" to indicate
    uncertainty)". So my comment on the 100,0000 needless deaths is that the number
    is just made up. I know this because I was the person who made it up.

    So HOW MANY are there Peter??? Please do imform us. Should we be
    concerned,,,,,,,,,,,or just squawk about quackery,,,,,,,,,,,which is in the eye
    of the beholder.

    Many less than 100,000 in the USA. More than there should be. We
    should be concerned, and we are, and people are doing something about
    it. You choose not to believe that because it would go against some
    tenet of your anti-medicine faith.

    Quoted message said:

    A repost:

    From where is this reposted?

    Quoted message said:

    A professor from Harvard Medical School did a study in 1989. He looked at
    30,000 records from 50 hospitals in NY. This showed that 4% of injuries were
    caused by treatment. Two thirds of these were due to errors. With his extensive
    study he estimated that there were 1.3 million mistakes and 180,000 deaths,
    each year in the US. His peers of course shunned him, they were estimates after
    all.

    What is the name of this "professor from Harvard"? Timothy Leary was a
    "professor from Harvard" and he was a raving kook. John Mack is a
    "professor from Harvard" and he believes that people are regularly
    abducted by aliens. Noel Ignatiev is a "professor at Harvard" and he
    believes all white people should be killed.

    Quoted message said:

    Then a journalist from Penn. was doing a story on a hospital that had filed
    bankruptcy. She was in the clerks office in Philly, pulling individual case
    files, when in the back of one of these files she found over 600 pages of
    hospital summeries of errors and 66 deaths over a period of 10 years.

    What is the name of this journalist? Please note that this was a
    hospital that had gone broke (so much for the massive profits of
    eeevil organized medicine) and ipso facto was not representative of
    all hospitals in the country.

    Quoted message said:

    ****All ofthe errors were covered up.***

    Yet the files were available to any journalist without a name who
    walked in from the street and started opening filing cabinets.

    Quoted message said:

    She began to inform the famiiles, and found that they did feel that something
    was wrong. These figures seemed to fit with the professors estimates.It went on
    to say that the big problem is that doctors won't admit to their mistakes. Many
    were caused by junior doctors without proper supervision. They were left on
    their own to make decisions. (I know this to be true, as my CRA's hubby is
    doing his internship and he has told me of the many exasperating times when
    this has happen to him).Another big reason is the over worked experienced
    staff, both nurses and doctors. Even experienced medical staff make far too
    many mistakes. Also the many drugs doctors have to choose from. It showed how
    these drugs arestored and how there is so much similarly in the packaging and
    the names. It is estimated that you chances of being injured in an airplane
    crash are one in three million, being injured in a hospital is one in two
    hundred. Doctors are human, humans make errors. It is NOT my intention to bash
    doctors personally.

    Not personally. Unless they are called "Barrett" of course. You just
    bash doctors as a group. I believe your collective noun for a group of
    doctors is "evil organized medicine".

    Quoted message said:

    God knows they carry a tremendous load of responsibility.
    There were doctors who told of their mistakes and it stayed with them for a
    lifetime. The point of the show was that there are entirely too many needless
    mistakes. This is very serious, there is no mystery as to *why* these
    mistakes are happening, yet this problem is not being corrected.

    Do you have evidence that no hospital in the country is trying to
    improve its safety record? That is what the words "this problem is not
    being corrected" mean.

    Quoted message said:

    Then we have doctors who have committed fraud, coverups, lies,
    dishonesty,,,,,,,,,and they are still on staff.

    I do not believe that doctors who commit fraud should be allowed to
    stay on staff. If it happens it is unfortunate, wrong, and nothing to
    do with "evil organized medicine". Do not ask me about this again
    unless you want to be accused of deliberate topic diversion.

    Quoted message said:

    Peter doesn't want to discuss that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rather he tells us who should
    pray,,,,,,,,,,,

    Will you be praying for Alan Yurko, Jan?

    Quoted message said:

    <snip>

    Ah! Jan finally gets around to using the "s" word, but by now nobody
    would have a clue what was being snipped.

    Quoted message said:

    I have created a page to collect the opposition to the committee and
    my comments about it. You can see the sorry spectacle here.

    http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/quackery/

    I am an advisor to the committee

    What are your qualifications to be advisor, Peter?

    My qualifications to be involved with the committee are far greater
    than your qualifications to comment about poisonous mercury.

    Quoted message said:

    WHY have you not answered this repeated question???????

    As a matter of fact there are several you have not answered,,,,,,,,,,,,

    WHO decides what is useless, and what is *potentially* dangerous??????

    AND DO YOU AND YOUR BUDDIES PLAN TO STOP WHAT IS ALREADY KNOWN TO BE
    DANGEROUS??

    Would you prefer that things already known to be dangerous are still
    allowed to be sold?

    Quoted message said:

    And WHAT are YOUR qualifications, Peter??? Like Barrett, are YOU qualiified too
    make these decisions????

    My qualifications to be involved with the committee far exceed those
    of Hulda Clark to give advice about cures for cancer. I thought you
    would get around to mentioning Dr Barrett sooner or later.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I assume that you are not in favour of vulnerable people being ripped
    off.

    You are correct. *MY* concern is WHO decides and WHAT are their
    qualifications???

    So you admit you are concerned about the qualifications of people who
    offer cures for cancer and other diseases. I am concerned about that
    too. That is why I don't like to see fraudsters hawking bogus
    electrical machines, for example

    Quoted message said:

    Is this a CONTROL problem?? Sure sounds like *anything* NOT endored by
    *organized medicine* is either useless or *potentially* dangerous. Is this
    correct??

    No.

    Quoted message said:

    Are you a right hand man for Barrett??

    I have never met Dr Barrett. I have never spoken to Dr Barrett.

    Quoted message said:

    AND WHAT ARE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS???????

    My qualifications to be involved with the committee apparently exceed
    the qualifications of ex-dentist Harold Huggins, as I, despite being a
    mere lay person, can easily tell from an X-ray whether a tooth has an
    amalgam filling or not.

    Quoted message said:

    I predict,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that *ANYTHING* not endorsed by organized medicine will
    be banned,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    You predict wrong.

    Quoted message said:

    Now, do show us how TRUTHFUL you are and tell us WHAT ARE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS
    TO BE ON THIS COMMITTEE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    I am writing this on International AIDS Day, so it would be
    appropriate to point out that my qualifications to be an advisor to
    the committee (not "on" the committee) exceed those of Lenny Horowitz
    to say anything at all because he believes that AIDS is being spread
    as part of some government plot.

    Quoted message said:

    It is You who is always saying practitioners are not qualified, NOW I am asking
    WHAT ARE YOUR QUALIFACTIONS??????

    My qualifications are that I am a scientifically-literate, concerned
    citizen with a particular interest in medical quackery. I am sick of
    seeing liars and thieves get away with their lying and thieving. I am
    sick of hearing stories about families being impoverished in order to
    pay for useless medical treatments for their sick children. I am sick
    of hearing about desperate people being robbed of their life savings
    by charlatans who only care about money. I am sick of hearing that
    murderers are heros and heros are murderers.

    Or, as Sir Edmund Hillary said: "Because it's there".

    If I make an error and I can correct it, I will.

    That quote actually came from George Mallory when he was asked in 1923
    why he wanted to climb Mount Everest. He died in an attempt on the
    mountain the following year. His body was found in 1999, 75 years
    later.

    --
    Peter Bowditch
    The Millenium Project http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles
    The Green Light http://www.ratbags.com/greenlight
    To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.