General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Accepting Panic/Anxiety diagnosis: at what point?

Started by Jessica Vincent · · Last activity · 1 post · 613 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 June 2003
Last activity
26 June 2003
Original author
Jessica Vincent
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
613
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Oklahoma" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Preface: I am a 24 year old male, nonsmoker, non-drug-abuser, in
    generally good health.

    Once or twice a month, usually after I have just gone to bed, I will
    awaken with a queer feeling, and I will succumb to what could be
    described as a "panic attack":
    My heart rate accelerates quickly from around 65 to around 195+, and I
    begin to feel "tingles" in my extremities. My mind begins to race at a
    fever pitch, seeming to scream out vividly "I am going to die now,"
    and I begin dashing around the house--checking my pulse with the
    kitchen clock, clutching at the nearest telephone as I fight back the
    urge to call 911 (I've made this call several times, and they tell me
    I am fine; very embarrassing). Finally, I often begin dumping cold
    water on my head, frantically trying to stop my heart from its
    terrifying, jackhammering gallop.

    This can go on for half an hour or more: my heart, pounding away, at
    or near 200 BPM, as "wave" after "wave" of what I suppose is
    adrenaline surges through my body, driving my heart to beat faster and
    faster, harder and harder.

    Eventually, these episodes do seem to run their course. My heart rate
    comes down, and my arms and legs--which moments before had been
    violently trembling--calm down and feel, suddenly, leaden. My
    mind/body in general feels like a blown fuse.

    I am terrified I am going to have a heart attack during one of these
    "episodes." I do not think it can be healthy for someone's heart rate
    to essentially triple within 60 seconds, and then stay at the 190-200
    BPM level for half an hour.

    Which brings me to the point of this longwinded (sorry) post: Should I
    be concerned about these episodes?

    I have consulted the family doctor, and he has felt all along that I
    am having a clear cut case of panic disorder. This is supported by the
    fact that I have been having these "episodes," in varying degrees,
    since I was 15. (my first panic attack was drug related, and was a
    "classic" case).

    Nevertheless, I have "badgered" him into giving me several tests,
    which are as follows:

    EKG -- Multiple times in Dr.'s office. Multiple times by EMT's who I
    have summoned to my house. Multiple times at Emergency Room, when I
    have driven myself during a particularly "bad" spell.

    ECG--One Echo test. It turned up very mild MVP with no leaks and no
    regurgitation. Otherwise, my heart is "sound" according to the
    cardiologist who read the ECG for my family doctor.

    24-hour Holter Monitor--One time. This test turned up nothing, save
    for the fact that my pulse routinely dips into the low 50's and upper
    40's at night.

    Blood Tests--Various, all normal.

    24 Hour Urine Collection--This test is designed to check for tumors on
    adrenal glands. It came back normal.

    Chest X-ray--Normal.

    My Dr. insists that my heart is fine, and as such he never refers me
    to a cardiologist. I asked him about a "stress test," to which he says
    in essence, that my panic attacks themselves are functioning as stress
    tests--which I routinely pass.

    He prescribed me Paxil, and a small dose of Xanax for emergencies.

    At what point does one accept a diagnosis of panic disorder?
    Should I have more tests?
    If so, what tests do I need to have done so that I can have peace of
    mind about the health of my heart?
    Is it safe for my heart to beat as fast as it does during these
    episodes?

    One other factor is this: I appear to have dysautonomia (sometimes
    referred to as Barlowe's syndrome, MVP Syndrome et cetera). In fact, I
    am pretty well convinced of this. I have been taking 50 mg of Atenolol
    since I was 18 because my pulse was so sensitive to "adrenaline," (at
    the time, if I walked up a flight of stairs, my heart would be
    pounding out of my chest). This drug has been a miracle, but my
    "attacks" have not been affected by it.

    Please help.

    Thank you.
    Steven

    Hi Steven,

    Do you trust your doctor? If not maybe it would ease your mind to get a
    second opinion, or possibly seeing a psychiatrist would be helpful. Given
    all the tests that you have had and the results of each, it does indeed
    sound like a classic case of panic disorder.

    Paxil & xanax are effective medications for treating PD.

    When I was first diagosed with panic disorder at 23 it was a huge relief to
    me to finally know what it was that was wrong so that it could be treated, I
    had a list a mile long of things that weren't wrong...after 7 years of
    actively trying to get a diagnosis. I make sure I get annual check ups to
    be sure nothing has changed and my psych insists that thyroid levels are
    checked annually to be sure that isn't contributing.

    Take care,
    Jess

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.