UK and Europe · Public discussion

Re: A bit of an accident

Started by Paulmouk · · Last activity · 1 post · 393 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
3 April 2005
Last activity
3 April 2005
Original author
Paulmouk
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
393
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Nobody hurt, neither of us even fell off our bikes, but I did have a
    "coming together" with another cyclist earlier.

    Actually, it was a bit odd to be honest.

    I was cycling away from Norwich along the Railway Path. On a long
    straight stretch, there were three teenagers cycling toward me. They
    were three abreast, thereby occupying the entire width of the path.
    Slowing from about 30kph, I prepared for the one on my left to drop back
    and make room for me to pass them. But they just kept on riding. There's
    no doubt they had seen me - I had even made eye contact with the one on
    "my side". As far as I could tell, there was nothing malicious going on
    - no game of "chicken" or anything. But they kept on riding, not giving
    way, and (inevitably) I collided with the one on my left.

    I managed to yell "... what are you playing at??!" as we made contact
    (not completely head-on, I swerved slightly right at the last fraction
    of a second, but I think he panicked and swerved toward me and collided
    with my back wheel) and he said "Oh, sorry... sorry" in a pretty timid
    way, which is what suggested to me this wasn't a game of chicken - it
    just didn't feel like that. When I looked back, they were just cycling
    on their way - and so did I.

    A very minor incident - but it was notable by being almost surreal. Do
    kids not even know the cardinal "keep left" rule? I don't know what this
    kid thought was going to happen - I was riding straight towards him with
    nowhere to go.

    Like I say - nobody hurt, but my back wheel will need replacing - it's
    pretty buckled now.

    --
    Chris

    On a slightly different tack...
    I find that more than 50% of oncoming cyclists/pedestrians move to their
    right and as I move further and further towards the left, they move further
    and further to the right. We usually come to a halt (without touching) hard
    up against the fence or whatever and I say "sorry I was always told to keep
    left".
    Could it be that I'm more sensible and read the highway code and that
    they're thick and don't?
    Or just that they move to the side that's closest?

    It happens even on shared paths (marked with a line separating cyclists from
    pedestrians); In that case they usually seem to move over on to the
    cyclist's bit!

    Paul.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.