UK and Europe · Public discussion

RANT: Martyrdom? Spurious political points?

Started by Mark Thompson · · Last activity · 3 posts · 276 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
14 December 2006
Last activity
14 December 2006
Original author
Mark Thompson
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
276
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Nowt to do with you chaps, but thought I'd let off steam here before
    drafting a perfectly calm and reasoned reply to the other lot.

    <RANT>
    When walking to a meeting, do people accuse me of making "SPURIOUS
    POLITICAL POINTS" when I don't take their advice to wear a sam browne?

    Do people really think I seek "MARTYRDOM" when I stroll down to the shops
    without covering myself with a reflective jacket? [censored] NO!

    Why then, when cycling is SAFER than walking and my bike is already fitted
    with LIGHTS and REFLECTORS, do other cyclists make the above claims about
    me when I choose not to bother with wearing a hi-vis jacket over my
    clothes.

    I'd see their point if I was doing something DANGEROUS
    <http://tinyurl.com/y6sqxr>[1] but all the evidence points to cycling being
    a SAFE activity that PEDESTRIAN safety campaigners would KILL FOR.

    So NO, chaps, I'm not doing it to be a martyr or to make a point, I'm just
    going from A to B in a pleasant and safe way and don't see what all your
    fuss is about<headbutts brick wall>

    </RANT>

    [1] Leads to a story about an idiot:
    <www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/230/230555
    _drunken_cyclist_in_motorway_madness.html>

  2. Mark Thompson said:

    When walking to a meeting, do people accuse me of making "SPURIOUS
    POLITICAL POINTS" when I don't take their advice to wear a sam browne?

    Because they're working from unfounded assumptions rather than facts?
    (which is, of course, a Nice Way of saying they don't have a Clue!)

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Mark Thompson said:

    So NO, chaps, I'm not doing it to be a martyr or to make a point, I'm just
    going from A to B in a pleasant and safe way and don't see what all your
    fuss is about<headbutts brick wall>

    If it's any consolation (probably not) I've had this too, most often re.
    helmets.

    My stock response has become to ramble statistics until they loose interest
    in arguing -- it would be nice if they actually listened, but I don't think
    that ever happens. At least they might think twice before trying it on the
    next cyclist though.

    Anthony

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.