Rainlegs---dorky but effective

Gooserider

Guest
http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=89a8ccb55d724610c02cb1b92618a265

I bought a pair of these due to recommendations from other cyclists.
They are easily the dorkiest item of cycling clothes ever invented, but they
definitely work. I live in an area which gets regular rainfall, and my rain
gear consisted of a clear rain jacket, a pair of booties, and a helmet
cover. Rain pants are too hot to wear in Florida, so I usually just ended up
with wet shorts. The Rainlegs solve that problem.
In case you haven't clicked the link, Rainlegs are basically rain
chaps made from parachute cloth. When it's not raining,they are worn rolled
up to the waist like a belt. If weather threatens, they are easily rolled
down. They fasten at the knee with velcro , and at the waist and behind with
snap buckles. I rode home in a steady rain tonight, and my shorts stayed
warm and dry. I think the ideal setup would be a rain cape, booties, and
Rainlegs, but a rain cape would eliminate my handlebar light. For someone
with a fork mounted light, that combination would be cool and dry.
So, if you want to stay dry with a minimum of bulk, and don't mind
looking like a dork, try Rainlegs. They work.

Gooserider wrote:
> http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=89a8ccb55d724610c02cb1b92618a265
>

> I bought a pair of these due to recommendations from other cyclists.
> They are easily the dorkiest item of cycling clothes ever invented, but they
> definitely work. I live in an area which gets regular rainfall, and my rain
> gear consisted of a clear rain jacket, a pair of booties, and a helmet
> cover. Rain pants are too hot to wear in Florida, so I usually just ended up
> with wet shorts. The Rainlegs solve that problem.
> In case you haven't clicked the link, Rainlegs are basically rain
> chaps made from parachute cloth. When it's not raining,they are worn rolled
> up to the waist like a belt. If weather threatens, they are easily rolled
> down. They fasten at the knee with velcro , and at the waist and behind with
> snap buckles. I rode home in a steady rain tonight, and my shorts stayed
> warm and dry. I think the ideal setup would be a rain cape, booties, and
> Rainlegs, but a rain cape would eliminate my handlebar light. For someone
> with a fork mounted light, that combination would be cool and dry.
> So, if you want to stay dry with a minimum of bulk, and don't mind
> looking like a dork, try Rainlegs. They work.

Looks like a good idea. Any experience using them in dry, but coolish
weather, as a wind stop?

Coming from the UK the postage is twice as much also in comparison to say
Holland.

"nash" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Coming from the UK the postage is twice as much also in comparison to say
> Holland.

Mine actually shipped from France. Go figure.

Gooserider wrote:
> http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=89a8ccb55d724610c02cb1b92618a265
>

> I bought a pair of these due to recommendations from other cyclists.
> They are easily the dorkiest item of cycling clothes ever invented, but they
> definitely work. I live in an area which gets regular rainfall, and my rain
> gear consisted of a clear rain jacket, a pair of booties, and a helmet
> cover. Rain pants are too hot to wear in Florida, so I usually just ended up
> with wet shorts. The Rainlegs solve that problem.
> In case you haven't clicked the link, Rainlegs are basically rain
> chaps made from parachute cloth. When it's not raining,they are worn rolled
> up to the waist like a belt. If weather threatens, they are easily rolled
> down. They fasten at the knee with velcro , and at the waist and behind with
> snap buckles. I rode home in a steady rain tonight, and my shorts stayed
> warm and dry. I think the ideal setup would be a rain cape, booties, and
> Rainlegs, but a rain cape would eliminate my handlebar light. For someone
> with a fork mounted light, that combination would be cool and dry.
> So, if you want to stay dry with a minimum of bulk, and don't mind
> looking like a dork, try Rainlegs. They work.

Interesting idea. I just cut rain pants down to either shorts (summer)
or knickers (winter). Cheap, effective, but look even dorkier, if that's
possible.

Gooserider wrote:
> http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=89a8ccb55d724610c02cb1b92618a265
>

> I bought a pair of these due to recommendations from other cyclists.
> They are easily the dorkiest item of cycling clothes ever invented, but they
> definitely work. I live in an area which gets regular rainfall, and my rain
> gear consisted of a clear rain jacket, a pair of booties, and a helmet
> cover. Rain pants are too hot to wear in Florida, so I usually just ended up
> with wet shorts. The Rainlegs solve that problem.
> In case you haven't clicked the link, Rainlegs are basically rain
> chaps made from parachute cloth. When it's not raining,they are worn rolled
> up to the waist like a belt. If weather threatens, they are easily rolled
> down. They fasten at the knee with velcro , and at the waist and behind with
> snap buckles. I rode home in a steady rain tonight, and my shorts stayed
> warm and dry. I think the ideal setup would be a rain cape, booties, and
> Rainlegs, but a rain cape would eliminate my handlebar light. For someone
> with a fork mounted light, that combination would be cool and dry.
> So, if you want to stay dry with a minimum of bulk, and don't mind
> looking like a dork, try Rainlegs. They work.

My kids already think I am the height of dorkiness for biking shorts.
I might buy a set of Rainlegs just for the fun of watching their
expressions! I'll have to time it so that I ride buy wearing the
Rainlegs when my kids are with a bunch of their friends. Excellent!

Gooserider wrote:
> http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=89a8ccb55d724610c02cb1b92618a265
>

> I bought a pair of these due to recommendations from other
> cyclists. They are easily the dorkiest item of cycling clothes ever
> invented, but they definitely work. I live in an area which gets
> regular rainfall, and my rain gear consisted of a clear rain jacket, a
> pair of booties, and a helmet cover. Rain pants are too hot to wear
> in Florida, so I usually just ended up with wet shorts. The Rainlegs
> solve that problem. In case you haven't clicked the link,
> Rainlegs are basically rain chaps made from parachute cloth. When it's not
> raining,they are worn
> rolled up to the waist like a belt. If weather threatens, they are
> easily rolled down. They fasten at the knee with velcro , and at the
> waist and behind with snap buckles. I rode home in a steady rain
> tonight, and my shorts stayed warm and dry. I think the ideal setup
> would be a rain cape, booties, and Rainlegs, but a rain cape would
> eliminate my handlebar light. For someone with a fork mounted light,
> that combination would be cool and dry. So, if you want to stay
> dry with a minimum of bulk, and don't mind looking like a dork, try
> Rainlegs. They work.

With tights or knee warmers, they don't seem all that dorky to me at all.
With just shorts, they might look a little... "over geary"?

Living in San Diego, I'll pass. (Got a /little/ mist on a ride last week;
otherwise, can't remember last time caught in true rain.)

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Gooserider wrote:
> > http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=89a8ccb55d724610c02cb1b92618a265
> >

> > I bought a pair of these due to recommendations from other
> > cyclists. They are easily the dorkiest item of cycling clothes ever
> > invented, but they definitely work. I live in an area which gets
> > regular rainfall, and my rain gear consisted of a clear rain jacket, a
> > pair of booties, and a helmet cover. Rain pants are too hot to wear
> > in Florida, so I usually just ended up with wet shorts. The Rainlegs
> > solve that problem. In case you haven't clicked the link,
> > Rainlegs are basically rain chaps made from parachute cloth. When it's not
> > raining,they are worn
> > rolled up to the waist like a belt. If weather threatens, they are
> > easily rolled down. They fasten at the knee with velcro , and at the
> > waist and behind with snap buckles. I rode home in a steady rain
> > tonight, and my shorts stayed warm and dry. I think the ideal setup
> > would be a rain cape, booties, and Rainlegs, but a rain cape would
> > eliminate my handlebar light. For someone with a fork mounted light,
> > that combination would be cool and dry. So, if you want to stay
> > dry with a minimum of bulk, and don't mind looking like a dork, try
> > Rainlegs. They work.

> With tights or knee warmers, they don't seem all that dorky to me at all.
> With just shorts, they might look a little... "over geary"?
>
> Living in San Diego, I'll pass. (Got a /little/ mist on a ride last week;
> otherwise, can't remember last time caught in true rain.)

I saw in the paper today that Bergen here in Norway had a full day with
no precipitation. That broke their 85 day rain streak. I wonder if
anyone there can grok your situation. What was your temp today? I went
out for a ride in sunny -18C (0F). It was nice to have it dry though,
rain blows. Even with chaps.

Joseph

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bill Sornson wrote:

>> Living in San Diego, I'll pass. (Got a /little/ mist on a ride last
>> week;
>> otherwise, can't remember last time caught in true rain.)

> I saw in the paper today that Bergen here in Norway had a full day with
> no precipitation. That broke their 85 day rain streak. I wonder if
> anyone there can grok your situation. What was your temp today?

A brisk 55-60 F or so. (Just got back. Windy but otherwise quite
pleasant.)

> I went
> out for a ride in sunny -18C (0F). It was nice to have it dry though,
> rain blows. Even with chaps.

Brrr. I've yet to wear leg warmers here, much less true winter gear.
Coldest ride: low 40s.

Spoiled Bill

On Jan 24, 1:12 am, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
>
> > Bill Sornson wrote:
> >> Living in San Diego, I'll pass. (Got a /little/ mist on a ride last
> >> week;
> >> otherwise, can't remember last time caught in true rain.)

> > I saw in the paper today that Bergen here in Norway had a full day with
> > no precipitation. That broke their 85 day rain streak. I wonder if
> > anyone there can grok your situation. What was your temp today?A brisk 55-60 F or so. (Just got back. Windy but otherwise quite

> pleasant.)
>
> > I went
> > out for a ride in sunny -18C (0F). It was nice to have it dry though,
> > rain blows. Even with chaps.Brrr. I've yet to wear leg warmers here, much less true winter gear.

> Coldest ride: low 40s.
>
> Spoiled Bill

Where my brother-in-law lives in Spain, those cats wear booties, neck
warmers, jackets, etc when it goes below 18C (65F). For me, 16C (61F)
is where I start contemplating long sleeves. I wonder what would happen
to me on a hot ride, say 38C (100F)? It has been years since I have
ridden in anything hotter than tops 30C (86F).

I suppose your bike is clean too!

Joseph

Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=89a8ccb55d724610c02cb1b92618a265
>

> I bought a pair of these due to recommendations from other cyclists.
> They are easily the dorkiest item of cycling clothes ever invented, but they
> definitely work. I live in an area which gets regular rainfall, and my rain
> gear consisted of a clear rain jacket, a pair of booties, and a helmet
> cover. Rain pants are too hot to wear in Florida, so I usually just ended up
> with wet shorts. The Rainlegs solve that problem.
> In case you haven't clicked the link, Rainlegs are basically rain
> chaps made from parachute cloth. When it's not raining,they are worn rolled
> up to the waist like a belt. If weather threatens, they are easily rolled
> down. They fasten at the knee with velcro , and at the waist and behind with
> snap buckles. I rode home in a steady rain tonight, and my shorts stayed
> warm and dry. I think the ideal setup would be a rain cape, booties, and
> Rainlegs, but a rain cape would eliminate my handlebar light. For someone
> with a fork mounted light, that combination would be cool and dry.
> So, if you want to stay dry with a minimum of bulk, and don't mind
> looking like a dork, try Rainlegs. They work.

I've seen them before, and I've thought about picking them up. I just
hate ordering things from across the pond unless I can avoid it. As for
dorkiness, I've mostly long ago resigned myself to looking like a bike
dork.

Thanks for the review, I'm still wibbling about whether to order them or
not, but at least I know they're a good product now.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"In the fight between you and the world, back the world."

"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
>> http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=89a8ccb55d724610c02cb1b92618a265
>>

>> I bought a pair of these due to recommendations from other cyclists.
>> They are easily the dorkiest item of cycling clothes ever invented, but
>> they
>> definitely work. I live in an area which gets regular rainfall, and my
>> rain
>> gear consisted of a clear rain jacket, a pair of booties, and a helmet
>> cover. Rain pants are too hot to wear in Florida, so I usually just ended
>> up
>> with wet shorts. The Rainlegs solve that problem.
>> In case you haven't clicked the link, Rainlegs are basically rain
>> chaps made from parachute cloth. When it's not raining,they are worn
>> rolled
>> up to the waist like a belt. If weather threatens, they are easily rolled
>> down. They fasten at the knee with velcro , and at the waist and behind
>> with
>> snap buckles. I rode home in a steady rain tonight, and my shorts stayed
>> warm and dry. I think the ideal setup would be a rain cape, booties, and
>> Rainlegs, but a rain cape would eliminate my handlebar light. For someone
>> with a fork mounted light, that combination would be cool and dry.
>> So, if you want to stay dry with a minimum of bulk, and don't mind
>> looking like a dork, try Rainlegs. They work.

> I've seen them before, and I've thought about picking them up. I just
> hate ordering things from across the pond unless I can avoid it. As for
> dorkiness, I've mostly long ago resigned myself to looking like a bike
> dork.
>
> Thanks for the review, I'm still wibbling about whether to order them or
> not, but at least I know they're a good product now.
>
> --
> Dane Buson - [email protected]
> "In the fight between you and the world, back the world."
> -Frank Zappa

Most rain pants and jackets Resistant ones I mean. Pack into fairly
tight places. Why not just cut some off or bring a whole pair. I do not
see why the chaps would be any more doable and they obviously more expensive
with shipping.

SN

nash <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I've seen them before, and I've thought about picking them up. I just
>> hate ordering things from across the pond unless I can avoid it. As for
>> dorkiness, I've mostly long ago resigned myself to looking like a bike
>> dork.
>>
>> Thanks for the review, I'm still wibbling about whether to order them or
>> not, but at least I know they're a good product now.

> Most rain pants and jackets Resistant ones I mean. Pack into fairly
> tight places. Why not just cut some off or bring a whole pair. I do not
> see why the chaps would be any more doable and they obviously more expensive
> with shipping.

Because I don't want rain pants. I'd be wearing them with cargo shorts
when I go out shopping or doing slow rides with friends. I don't need
or want to cover my shins, I just want to cover the thigh area so my
shorts don't get soaked.

I've considered getting a pair of rain pants and chopping them, but I
think the rainlegs present a neater bespoke solution. Also shipping
really isn't that ruinous on them (2.95 GBP).

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"bash awk grep perl sed df du, du-du du-du,

In article <LcMAh.978067$1T2.100715@pd7urf2no>,
"nash" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=89a8ccb55d724610c02cb1b92618a265
>>>

>>> I bought a pair of these due to recommendations from other cyclists.
>>> They are easily the dorkiest item of cycling clothes ever invented, but
>>> they
>>> definitely work. I live in an area which gets regular rainfall, and my
>>> rain
>>> gear consisted of a clear rain jacket, a pair of booties, and a helmet
>>> cover. Rain pants are too hot to wear in Florida, so I usually just ended
>>> up
>>> with wet shorts. The Rainlegs solve that problem.
>>> In case you haven't clicked the link, Rainlegs are basically rain
>>> chaps made from parachute cloth. When it's not raining,they are worn
>>> rolled
>>> up to the waist like a belt. If weather threatens, they are easily rolled
>>> down. They fasten at the knee with velcro , and at the waist and behind
>>> with
>>> snap buckles. I rode home in a steady rain tonight, and my shorts stayed
>>> warm and dry. I think the ideal setup would be a rain cape, booties, and
>>> Rainlegs, but a rain cape would eliminate my handlebar light. For someone
>>> with a fork mounted light, that combination would be cool and dry.
>>> So, if you want to stay dry with a minimum of bulk, and don't mind
>>> looking like a dork, try Rainlegs. They work.

>> I've seen them before, and I've thought about picking them up. I just
>> hate ordering things from across the pond unless I can avoid it. As for
>> dorkiness, I've mostly long ago resigned myself to looking like a bike
>> dork.
>>
>> Thanks for the review, I'm still wibbling about whether to order them or
>> not, but at least I know they're a good product now.
>>
>> --
>> Dane Buson - [email protected]
>> "In the fight between you and the world, back the world."
>> -Frank Zappa

> Most rain pants and jackets Resistant ones I mean. Pack into fairly
> tight places. Why not just cut some off or bring a whole pair. I do not
> see why the chaps would be any more doable and they obviously more expensive
> with shipping.

Lately i've been experimenting with a pair of rubberized
rain pants that were given to me. They're surprisingly
okay for short hops in cool temps.

The RainLegs thing looks good, but for riding in street
clothes, you really want something that keeps the /lower/
legs dry -- especially in front and down around the trouser
cuffs, where it gets the wettest. 'Cuz there ain't much
tissue there to generate enough warmth to dry your jeans
with body heat while wearing them, after coming in from
a ride -- it's all just shinbone & skin.

If only RainLegs had snap-on extenders available, that
would cover the knees & shins, like chaps. Keep the
windward side dry, and let the leeward side vent.

If I could sew, I'd convert my rain pants into
rain chaps, and sew-on the remnants as built-in,
toe-covering spats. Strips of hook & loop velcro
would hold everything in place behind the leg,
while allowing ventilation back there, and keeping
fabrics out of the drive train.

The trouble with neoprene booties is: they're
enclosed in the back, where they don't need to
be enclosed. It's the front that bears the brunt.
It's the same with a lot of cycling rain garb.
We don't need space suits just to ride in the rain;
we just need appropriate coverage from what we're
riding into.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

If I could sew, I'd convert my rain pants into
> rain chaps, and sew-on the remnants as built-in,
> toe-covering spats. Strips of hook & loop velcro
> would hold everything in place behind the leg,
> while allowing ventilation back there, and keeping
> fabrics out of the drive train.

Zoot does alot of sewing Maybe you two could strike up a bargain.
Both being in Vancouver and all.

SN

In article <iRNAh.985884$5R2.811616@pd7urf3no>,
"nash" <[email protected]> writes:
> If I could sew, I'd convert my rain pants into
>> rain chaps, and sew-on the remnants as built-in,
>> toe-covering spats. Strips of hook & loop velcro
>> would hold everything in place behind the leg,
>> while allowing ventilation back there, and keeping
>> fabrics out of the drive train.

> Zoot does alot of sewing Maybe you two could strike up a bargain.
> Both being in Vancouver and all.

Aw, he don't need me for ideas.

All it takes besides the ability to put it together,
is the understanding that riders get wetter in front
than in the back, so protect the front from rain, and
let the back ventilate. Like a backless, combined
rain jacket/dickie & rearward cape/mantle -- buttons-down
rainproofedly in front, and ventilates in the back, and
unlike a traditional rain cape, frees the arms to do
arm signals.

And for material, there's that outdoor fabrics store
almost beside Our Community Bikes. I dunno if they
have much in black, though. Black with reflective
white skull-&-crossbones motifs embroidered or appliqued
on there would be tres chic. Especially if it's
something sk8ers could use, too.

cheers,
Tom