Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Question re Mirage vs Racing Triple chainwheel quality

Started by Alan · · Last activity · 5 posts · 587 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 April 2005
Last activity
4 April 2005
Original author
Alan
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
587
Views / 30 days
8
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am thinking about getting a second bike w Campy triple setup. I can get a
    Mirage/Veloce triple for a bit less than a RT (Centaur) crankset. I know
    the chainrings are different - stamped vs. gear cut. Any thoughts from exp.
    Campy people about the adequacy of the Mirage/Veloce chainrings. I do ride
    a lot 7000 mi per year so my thoughts are to go w the RT setup.

    Thanks,

    Alan

  2. Alan said:

    I am thinking about getting a second bike w Campy triple setup. I can
    get a Mirage/Veloce triple for a bit less than a RT (Centaur)
    crankset. I know the chainrings are different - stamped vs. gear
    cut. Any thoughts from exp. Campy people about the adequacy of the
    Mirage/Veloce chainrings. I do ride a lot 7000 mi per year so my
    thoughts are to go w the RT setup.

    Veloce rings may not last as long but they actually work very well while
    they do last. Mirage use steel inner rings these days -- which should
    outlast Racing T's.

    I used Veloce rings but never wore one out as I switched to TA rings (of
    different sizes) after a few thousand miles. The Veloce ones still looked
    okay.

    ~PB

  3. Alan said:

    I am thinking about getting a second bike w Campy triple setup. I can get a
    Mirage/Veloce triple for a bit less than a RT (Centaur) crankset. I know
    the chainrings are different - stamped vs. gear cut. Any thoughts from exp.
    Campy people about the adequacy of the Mirage/Veloce chainrings. I do ride
    a lot 7000 mi per year so my thoughts are to go w the RT setup.

    I've got Racing-T and Veloce triple cranks on two bikes. Can't tell the
    difference beyond appearance, both perform very well.

    Mark

  4. Alan said:

    I am thinking about getting a second bike w Campy triple setup. I can get a
    Mirage/Veloce triple for a bit less than a RT (Centaur) crankset. I know
    the chainrings are different - stamped vs. gear cut. Any thoughts from exp.
    Campy people about the adequacy of the Mirage/Veloce chainrings. I do ride
    a lot 7000 mi per year so my thoughts are to go w the RT setup.

    Thanks,

    Alan

    The crank arms are almost identical, the price differences come from the
    rings. The stamped rings work fine but will not last as long. You will
    easily get a couple of years out of the lower end ones even riding 7000
    mi per year.When they are history upgrade to Campag or TA ones.

  5. Alan said:

    I am thinking about getting a second bike w Campy triple setup. I can get a
    Mirage/Veloce triple for a bit less than a RT (Centaur) crankset. I know
    the chainrings are different - stamped vs. gear cut. Any thoughts from exp.
    Campy people about the adequacy of the Mirage/Veloce chainrings. I do ride
    a lot 7000 mi per year so my thoughts are to go w the RT setup.

    At your mileage, the better quality rings of a Centaur/
    Racing T are worth it. And change your chain early for
    minimal wear.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.