General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

question on caloric surplus for gaining mass

Started by CliffMacGillivray · · Last activity · 4 posts · 455 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 May 2006
Last activity
30 May 2006
Original author
CliffMacGillivray
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
455
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. ok, so suppose I am taking in a surplus of calories beyond my normal
    metabolic needs. Is this sufficient to gain mass even if over the course
    of working out I end up burning off the surplus?
    That is, suppose I have a BMR of 2000
    So, if I eat 2300 kcals but expend an additional
    400 kcals just from working out. All together I would then be expending
    2400 kcals. Would I still be gaining muscle mass?
    Is the "surplus" required above BMR or above ALL energy needs?

    ----
    This guy he goes bam,
    Pass the corn beef and cabbage,
    He's quite the hitman


  2. Quoted message said:

    Is the "surplus" required above BMR or above
    ALL energy needs?

    The "surplus" required is above ALL energy needs.
    So if you happen to be doing strenuous activity all
    day, you'd need to eat so much more in order to
    compensate.

  3. "CliffMacGillivray" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ok, so suppose I am taking in a surplus of calories beyond my normal
    metabolic needs. Is this sufficient to gain mass even if over the
    course of working out I end up burning off the surplus?
    That is, suppose I have a BMR of 2000
    So, if I eat 2300 kcals but expend an additional
    400 kcals just from working out. All together I would then be
    expending 2400 kcals. Would I still be gaining muscle mass?
    Is the "surplus" required above BMR or above ALL energy needs?

    You figure your maintenance requirement in the real world - write down
    what you eat for a week or two during which your weight remains the same
    and you perform all the activities you normally do. Then add to that.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  4. "CliffMacGillivray" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    Quoted message said:

    ok, so suppose I am taking in a surplus of calories beyond my normal
    metabolic needs. Is this sufficient to gain mass even if over the course
    of working out I end up burning off the surplus?
    That is, suppose I have a BMR of 2000
    So, if I eat 2300 kcals but expend an additional
    400 kcals just from working out. All together I would then be expending
    2400 kcals. Would I still be gaining muscle mass?

    No.
    You will lose weight. If you consume 10.000 Kcals/day, and burn 10.500, you
    will losse weight.

    Quoted message said:

    Is the "surplus" required above BMR or above ALL energy needs?

    I you want to gain mass, keep the workouts short and intense.
    For starters, consume 3500 Kcals/day. If you notice an increase in BF, go to
    3000.

    ----
    Pete

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.