Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Question: FD won't line up properly:

Started by bradner · · Last activity · 4 posts · 651 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 July 2004
Last activity
1 July 2004
Original author
bradner
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
651
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm putting together a Specialized M4 and I have an old 7
    speed Dura-Ace 7400 FD (braze on). I go to put it on and
    when I tighten it down, it starts to angle outwards a fair
    bit. There seems to be a little hump on it that makes it not
    sit even in the frame's tab for
    it. I thought about trying to bend the cage but that hump
    or little shoulder on it just makes it line up a
    little oddly. It sits so far in the frame's braze on
    that the little shoulder fits in it too and makes it
    angle when being tightened down. (Hopefully I'm
    describing it well enough.)

    The frame will have bar end shifters on it so I wasn't
    concerned wih STI compatibility so I thought any braze on FD
    would work.

    Has anyone ever experienced this problem? Or am I missing a
    part that makes it line up better?

    All my other FD's have just bolted on without never a
    problem.

    Thanks

  2. Quoted message said:

    I'm putting together a Specialized M4 and I have an old 7
    speed Dura-Ace 7400 FD (braze on). I go to put it on and
    when I tighten it down, it starts to angle outwards a fair
    bit. There seems to be a little hump on it that makes it
    not sit even in the frame's tab for
    it. I thought about trying to bend the cage but that hump
    or little shoulder on it just makes it line up a
    little oddly. It sits so far in the frame's braze on
    that the little shoulder fits in it too and makes it
    angle when being tightened down. (Hopefully I'm
    describing it well enough.)

    The frame will have bar end shifters on it so I wasn't
    concerned wih STI compatibility so I thought any braze on
    FD would work.

    Has anyone ever experienced this problem? Or am I missing
    a part that makes it line up better?

    All my other FD's have just bolted on without never a
    problem.

    Some brsnds are silghtly different shape fromothers. The
    brazed pieces vary too. Lube your bolt, secure the
    derailleur at the right height and as close to straight as
    you can get and then just push/prise the changer until the
    brazed tab bends and the changer's outer plate is parallel
    to the rings when viewed from above.

    Do notice that when you bolt it on, you can move the changer
    up and down and also at various angles - the slot is wider
    than the bolt.

    It won't never be a problem (?)

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971

  3. I tried all that and when I get it in the right position and
    I tighten it, the little bevelled washer? moves and starts
    putting the FD off angled. It alsways wants to tighten over
    to one side. Maybe I need a different bevelled washer
    thingy? FOr this FD, the washer is quite small, on my other
    bike, the washer is as big as the braze on itself. Do you
    think a different washer may help?

    As far as bending the braze on, it won't budge, unless I
    should be using a lever to try to bend it but I think I'll
    bust it off before it bends.

    Oh, I didn't mean the double negative "won't never"
    originally. I meant "won't ever"

    Thanks

    Quoted message said:

    Some brsnds are silghtly different shape fromothers. The
    brazed pieces vary too. Lube your bolt, secure the
    derailleur at the right height and as close to straight as
    you can get and then just push/prise the changer until the
    brazed tab bends and the changer's outer plate is parallel
    to the rings when viewed from above.

    Do notice that when you bolt it on, you can move the
    changer up and down and also at various angles - the slot
    is wider than the bolt.

    It won't never be a problem (?)

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971

  4. I had the same problem setting up a friends' bike.

    To remedy, just hold the cage with some pliers or similar,
    cushioned if you like, while tightening. Worked fine once
    I did this.

    I also tried to bend the tab initially, wasn't so worried
    about it breaking, but I didn't have any luck with a 12"
    adjustable wrench, it was way too stout!

    -pete

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I tried all that and when I get it in the right position
    and I tighten it, the little bevelled washer? moves and
    starts putting the FD off angled. It alsways wants to
    tighten over to one side. Maybe I need a different
    bevelled washer thingy? FOr this FD, the washer is quite
    small, on my other bike, the washer is as big as the braze
    on itself. Do you think a different washer may help?

    As far as bending the braze on, it won't budge, unless I
    should be using a lever to try to bend it but I think I'll
    bust it off before it bends.

    Oh, I didn't mean the double negative "won't never"
    originally. I meant "won't ever"

    Thanks

    Quoted message said:

    Some brsnds are silghtly different shape fromothers. The
    brazed pieces vary too. Lube your bolt, secure the
    derailleur at the right height and as close to straight
    as you can get and then just push/prise the changer until
    the brazed tab bends and the changer's outer plate is
    parallel to the rings when viewed from above.

    Do notice that when you bolt it on, you can move the
    changer up and down and also at various angles - the slot
    is wider than the bolt.

    It won't never be a problem (?)

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.