General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Pronated feet fixable via leg workout?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 5 posts · 880 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 July 2005
Last activity
6 July 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
880
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Most of my reading about pronated feet has been all about
    orthodics-orthodics-orthodics. Can strengthening certain leg muscles
    help the situation - like strengthening one's inner quads to ameliorate
    jumper's knee?

    My shoes show outward pronation (outside worn out). I have a stress
    fracture of my fibula, and I'm wondering if there is some way to get
    stress off of that side as the fibula supports the outer stress when I
    start rehabbing.

    Thanks for your responses.

  2. Quoted message said:

    Most of my reading about pronated feet has been all about


    orthodics-orthodics-orthodics. Can strengthening certain leg muscles
    help the situation - like strengthening one's inner quads to ameliorate

    jumper's knee?

    My shoes show outward pronation (outside worn out). I have a stress
    fracture of my fibula, and I'm wondering if there is some way to get
    stress off of that side as the fibula supports the outer stress when I
    start rehabbing.

    Thanks for your responses.>

    My experience. After ramping up my mileage to 9 per day I pronated
    badly, so stuck with Asics 2000 series for years, not trying anything
    else. Then this year I bought some NB 807's, and lo and behold, I no
    longer pronate. Why I don't know. I do several figure 8's in both
    directions, and some jogging backwards, but if that helped or not I'm
    not sure. I still pronate some days, but not others, but unlike you it
    causes me no injurys, so it's a non-issue until it does.
    On orthotics: Those are a LAST RESORT, only after you've tried various
    brands and models of all kinds of MC and stability shoes. Avoid them if
    possible.

  3. Quoted message said:

    My experience. After ramping up my mileage to 9 per day I pronated
    badly, so stuck with Asics 2000 series for years, not trying anything
    else. Then this year I bought some NB 807's, and lo and behold, I no
    longer pronate.

    That's because those bricks are so damn heavy that it's nearly impossible
    to run in them at all, let alone pronate in them.

    NB 807s are good for the SSFA crowd.

    Quoted message said:

    Why I don't know. I do several figure 8's in both
    directions, and some jogging backwards,

    Yep, when you were in the Asics, they said, "if you were going any slower,
    you'd be going backwards". And then you got the 807s.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  4. Quoted message said:

    Most of my reading about pronated feet has been all about
    orthodics-orthodics-orthodics. Can strengthening certain leg muscles
    help the situation - like strengthening one's inner quads to ameliorate
    jumper's knee?

    I don't think so.

    Quoted message said:

    My shoes show outward pronation (outside worn out). I have a stress

    What sort of shoes are you wearing ? If you're breaking down the lateral
    (outside) of the shoe, you should avoid anything with a medial post.

    How old are your shoes ? If you allow an uneven wear pattern to
    accumulate, it will aggravate any biomechanical problems you may already
    have.

    Quoted message said:

    fracture of my fibula, and I'm wondering if there is some way to get
    stress off of that side as the fibula supports the outer stress when I
    start rehabbing.

    The first two things you can do to avoid breaking down the lateral side
    of the shoe are very basic:
    (1) If you're wearing the wrong sort of shoe, change to the right sort of
    shoe. "The right sort of shoe" means a well cushioned shoe without a medial
    post. Both the injury and wear pattern point to "cushion" shoes as being
    appropriate.

    (2) That, and don't wear old shoes. One you get substantial breakdown of
    the lateral side of the shoe, the shoe no longer sits flat, and it aggravates
    the underlying assymetry in your gate. It's like a bad feedback loop --
    you run off-balance, which breaks down the lateral side, which throws you
    off some more, which ...

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  5. Quoted message said:

    My shoes show outward pronation

    Nobody's said it, but this "outward pronation" is typically called
    "supination" and considered pronation's opposite. So if you're reading
    about shoe choices vs. biomechanics, that's the term on which to focus.

    As Donovan says, usual rec is to seek "cushion" and "neutral" and be
    wary of anything that sounds like "medial post", "dual density", or
    "stability".

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.