Posterior comfort

Jeff Johnston

Mar 2, 2021
Young 77 year old male returning to riding. Thus far, paved trails only. It will stay as such.

My biggest issue at this point is the discomfort of my bottom after 10-12 miles.
Some are telling me to replace my bike’s saddle, others suggesting riding underwire or shorts.

What would you folks suggest as the first step to rear end comfort?

I am sorry nobody replied to your thread, weird. Anyway, my best take on posterior comfort is that the more you ride and toughen up your posterior, the more comfortable you will be. With little muscle mass on your butt and/or no tone in what is there, it will not feel good on most seating. My experience was that after a number of months I was able to not have to think about the saddle on the bike as long as it was adjusted level and it was the right distance from the bars. When out of shape it hurt to spend a long time on the saddle, or even not so long a time, but after a few months it was a non-issue. I am not even known for being particularly muscular either, sort of a long tall string-bean type of person, but I apparently have the butt to stand up to dozens of miles of use on old, hard road-bike saddles with no problem.

I think a good saddle with a good cushion will help . you can also upgrade your bike which has a suspension-like fork.

Had worn out shorts and tights from 30 years ago. no good for this anymore.
I scored a cheap bib tights on amazon with a HUGE 4D chamois. Felt ridiculous first 4-5 rides, now the padding has compressed. Comfortable for on and off road. Felt like big diaper at first. Love it now .
My saddles are all minimalist . Just enough to support the "taint" if you follow. if not visit urbandictionary.com
Toughing up the "taint" helps. So does resting it , some sprints and standing periodically on climbs and flats to relieve the pressure for a few. Back in the peak of riding - late 80's I developed a cyst -a 3rd testicle of sorts.
Had to give up riding for a while , option was to surgically remove. Lost the cyst- kept the testicles.

I depends on the kind of discomfort, whether it's skin (chaffing, excessive rubbing) or muscular discomfort.

For skin, it's using cream or padded shorts might help. For muscular discomfort, might need a change in saddle or simply standing occasionally when riding would greatly improve comfort.

Hey there! It really depends on the type of discomfort you're experiencing. If it's skin-related, using cream or padded shorts can be a lifesaver. But if it's more muscular, try switching up your saddle or standing up occasionally during rides. Hope this helps! :)