Road Cycling · Public discussion

Post (severe) knee injury recovery

Started by Mark Mitchell · · Last activity · 5 posts · 558 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
28 May 2004
Last activity
28 May 2004
Original author
Mark Mitchell
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
558
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On Jun 25, '03, I jumped from a 5' high platform and landed badly with my
    full weight on my left leg. I'm told that my leg visibly bowed inward. I
    ended up with a spiral fracture of the tibia (shinbone) and a collapsed
    tibial plateau. In other words, the top of my shinbone, where it connects
    with the knee was granola.

    So far, I'm recovering fairly well, I walk with no real problem (but with a
    visible limp), but endurance is a problem with both of
    these activities. My left knee is also much weaker than the right. I can
    climb stairs but if I try to step up onto a surface much higher than the
    standard stair riser, I can only put down about 120lbs of force.

    Prior to the accident, I was an occasional rider but now I'm trying to ride
    as much as I can both on the road and stationary. I can manage about
    30mins a ride before my knee tells me to stop.

    The biggest weird thing I'm noticing is that if I ride for about 30mins on
    the road (low speed), or on the stationary for about an hour, after I stop
    my knee feels loose. Especially when I'm transferring weight *off* the bad
    leg.

    Is there anyone here who's had similar symptoms/injuries?

    Any input appreciated.

    Mark

    - --
    Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFAtoNcLVmEOl6/PWERAuZVAKC+zwhapXxoej7gqi0UB+27e7nNTQCgwCIL
    CrVh4po/6Z1hAsQMj1Y0kQI=
    =NryW
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  2. Mark Mitchell said:

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On Jun 25, '03, I jumped from a 5' high platform and landed badly with my
    full weight on my left leg. I'm told that my leg visibly bowed inward. I
    ended up with a spiral fracture of the tibia (shinbone) and a collapsed
    tibial plateau. In other words, the top of my shinbone, where it connects
    with the knee was granola.

    So far, I'm recovering fairly well, I walk with no real problem (but with a
    visible limp), but endurance is a problem with both of
    these activities. My left knee is also much weaker than the right. I can
    climb stairs but if I try to step up onto a surface much higher than the
    standard stair riser, I can only put down about 120lbs of force.

    Prior to the accident, I was an occasional rider but now I'm trying to ride
    as much as I can both on the road and stationary. I can manage about
    30mins a ride before my knee tells me to stop.

    The biggest weird thing I'm noticing is that if I ride for about 30mins on
    the road (low speed), or on the stationary for about an hour, after I stop
    my knee feels loose. Especially when I'm transferring weight *off* the bad
    leg.

    Is there anyone here who's had similar symptoms/injuries?

    Any input appreciated.

    Mark


    Sounds like you stretched some knee ligaments when you had your accident;
    also the tibial plateau collapsing might leave the knee-joint cavity
    unusually wide. Usual remedy is first physiotherapy etc to strengthen
    the muscles. After maximum improvement from such conservative measures,
    surgery might be considered eg tibial osteotomy (re-angulating the tibia)
    or repair of the medial collateral or anterior cruciate ligaments.
    Presumably you are under the care of the appropriate people? Most people
    come somewhat right without further operations, and one cannot expect too
    much improvement from surgery.
    Peter

    --
    This transmission is certified free of viruses as no Microsoft products
    were used in its preparation or propagation.

  3. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Peter Keller said:
    Mark Mitchell said:

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On Jun 25, '03, I jumped from a 5' high platform and landed badly with my


    <tale of woe snipped>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Any input appreciated.

    Mark


    Sounds like you stretched some knee ligaments when you had your accident;
    also the tibial plateau collapsing might leave the knee-joint cavity
    unusually wide. Usual remedy is first physiotherapy etc to strengthen
    the muscles. After maximum improvement from such conservative measures,
    surgery might be considered eg tibial osteotomy (re-angulating the tibia)
    or repair of the medial collateral or anterior cruciate ligaments.
    Presumably you are under the care of the appropriate people? Most people
    come somewhat right without further operations, and one cannot expect too
    much improvement from surgery.
    Peter


    As the accident happened at my place of work, this was all covered under
    worker's comp. I've now been released from medical care, so my worker's
    comp claim has been closed. And, of course, as I can no longer do the job
    I was doing, I'm unemployed and therefore uninsured.

    I kind of had a feeling that this would tighten up over time, I guess what
    I'm really wondering is, what kind of time frame are we looking at until
    it's reasonably stable again? Months/Years?

    Thanks for your reply,
    Mark

    - --
    Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFAtt1qLVmEOl6/PWERAqoUAKCVUkQqKiKN37Vt0Msk3kwh4P2ilACfYXag
    HmSGgsGfXZVJp/HIBqf9dOE=
    =CFpc
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  4. Mark Mitchell <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On Jun 25, '03, I jumped from a 5' high platform and landed badly with
    my full weight on my left leg. I'm told that my leg visibly bowed
    inward. I ended up with a spiral fracture of the tibia (shinbone) and
    a collapsed tibial plateau. In other words, the top of my shinbone,
    where it connects with the knee was granola.

    So far, I'm recovering fairly well, I walk with no real problem (but
    with a visible limp), but endurance is a problem with both of
    these activities. My left knee is also much weaker than the right. I
    can climb stairs but if I try to step up onto a surface much higher
    than the standard stair riser, I can only put down about 120lbs of
    force.

    Prior to the accident, I was an occasional rider but now I'm trying to
    ride as much as I can both on the road and stationary. I can manage
    about 30mins a ride before my knee tells me to stop.

    The biggest weird thing I'm noticing is that if I ride for about
    30mins on the road (low speed), or on the stationary for about an
    hour, after I stop my knee feels loose. Especially when I'm
    transferring weight *off* the bad leg.

    Is there anyone here who's had similar symptoms/injuries?

    Any input appreciated.

    Mark

    I had a similar injury from a motorcycle accident in 2000, with similar
    results. The ACL was stretched and torn about halfway through, shin
    bone split through from the top of the plateau then out to the side about 5
    inches down. I had much improvement in the second year (much more than I
    thought there would be), so take heart. It's still quite loose, and
    sometimes pops and catches if I move wrong, but it seems the more I keep
    the muscle tone up, the more controlled the loosness is. I started MTB and
    trail riding last year and now have ridden up to 4 hours/40 miles. I try
    to walk a 2.5 mile loop and/or excercise on my goofy HealthRider several
    times a week. It helps to try and get your weight down a little, too, if
    that's an issue (was for me). My doc said Joe Namath had no ligaments left
    in his knees, and he made it through with muscle control. A friend of mine
    also had a similar break (and a broken arm thrown in for good measure) from
    a horseback riding accident in '01, and also showed substantial improvement
    the second year. So keep your chin up and good luck.

    --
    Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)

  5. I had a motorcycle accident 2 years ago where I broke the tibial plateau and
    tore/stretched the ACL. They sewed the plateau back on. It fells better now
    than a year ago, better a year ago than two years ago. I find that the only
    time it feels "normal" is when I ride a lot. Strong leg muscles are the key.

    Peder said:

    Mark Mitchell <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On Jun 25, '03, I jumped from a 5' high platform and landed badly
    with my full weight on my left leg. I'm told that my leg visibly
    bowed inward. I ended up with a spiral fracture of the tibia
    (shinbone) and a collapsed tibial plateau. In other words, the top
    of my shinbone, where it connects with the knee was granola.

    So far, I'm recovering fairly well, I walk with no real problem (but
    with a visible limp), but endurance is a problem with both of
    these activities. My left knee is also much weaker than the right.
    I can climb stairs but if I try to step up onto a surface much higher
    than the standard stair riser, I can only put down about 120lbs of
    force.

    Prior to the accident, I was an occasional rider but now I'm trying
    to ride as much as I can both on the road and stationary. I can
    manage about 30mins a ride before my knee tells me to stop.

    The biggest weird thing I'm noticing is that if I ride for about
    30mins on the road (low speed), or on the stationary for about an
    hour, after I stop my knee feels loose. Especially when I'm
    transferring weight *off* the bad leg.

    Is there anyone here who's had similar symptoms/injuries?

    Any input appreciated.

    Mark

    I had a similar injury from a motorcycle accident in 2000, with
    similar results. The ACL was stretched and torn about halfway
    through, shin
    bone split through from the top of the plateau then out to the side
    about 5 inches down. I had much improvement in the second year (much
    more than I thought there would be), so take heart. It's still quite
    loose, and sometimes pops and catches if I move wrong, but it seems
    the more I keep the muscle tone up, the more controlled the loosness
    is. I started MTB and trail riding last year and now have ridden up
    to 4 hours/40 miles. I try to walk a 2.5 mile loop and/or excercise
    on my goofy HealthRider several times a week. It helps to try and
    get your weight down a little, too, if that's an issue (was for me).
    My doc said Joe Namath had no ligaments left in his knees, and he
    made it through with muscle control. A friend of mine also had a
    similar break (and a broken arm thrown in for good measure) from a
    horseback riding accident in '01, and also showed substantial
    improvement the second year. So keep your chin up and good luck.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.