Please SBS make Cycling more enjoyable

Tony

Guest
Cycling is a great spectator sport, anyway the Tour De France and stuff, to
see the pretty sceney and stuff.
But how I would love if we could have some riders picked, and we could see
what speed they are doing on a section, Heart Rate, Cadence, Average speed.
ect ect.
Just like they do in Motor racing, this would really make it interesting to
watch.

What do you rekon ?

Sounds like a great idea.
Not sure if SBS has the sort of clout to dictate what is included on their TDF feeds, but as P Sherwin & P Liggett have a soft spot for aussies, maybe they can smuggle on sensors to one of the aussie cyclists.

Didn’t they do this with Stuart O’Grady during a stage of the TDF in 2003?

We should suggest it to them:
SBS Cycling Central

SBS Sport .

Tony said:
But how I would love if we could have some riders picked, and we could see
what speed they are doing on a section, Heart Rate, Cadence, Average speed.ect ect. Just like they do in Motor racing, this would really make it interesting to watch.

What do you rekon ?

Yeah, and with the Classics, could viewers listen in to the team radio as well?
Overhearing tactics could be fun. Anyway Cycling Central could benefit by being broadcast at a decent timeslot (whinge)

Whenever this is raised I always harp back to their first coverage year in 1991. It was very slick. Back then they had a whole lot of informative stories and slots during the race coverage. They explained rules, they did segments on team tactics each day - I'll always remember them showing the whole Castorama team stretching across the road blocking the peleton to protect their team member, Thierry Marie, on his 230 km solo breakaway - which he ended up winning. They would show the speed that the riders were going at (I think they were taken from the motorcycles). They did a lot of stuff that's missing from the coverage these days. They explained team time trials, echelons, team leadouts at stage finishes while always bringing up footage of the previous day's stage and explaining what was going on. I learned heaps about road racing from that coverage. They need to do this again to give audiences more of an appreciation of road racing than just it's beauty.

cfsmtb wrote:
> Yeah, and with the Classics, could viewers listen in to the team radio
> as well?

Do you know French, German and Spanish? :)
I guess they could always focus on the english-speaking teams..?
Nah.. where's the fun in that! ;)

> Overhearing tactics could be fun. Anyway Cycling Central could benefit
> by being broadcast at a decent timeslot (whinge)

For sure, on both points!

hippy

On 2005-02-02, hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
> cfsmtb wrote:
>> Yeah, and with the Classics, could viewers listen in to the team radio
>> as well?

> Do you know French, German and Spanish? :)

Live translations? Subtitles would probably lag too much.

On 2005-02-02, hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
> cfsmtb wrote:
>> Yeah, and with the Classics, could viewers listen in to the team radio
>> as well?

> Do you know French, German and Spanish? :)

Live translations? Subtitles would probably lag too much.

Or something like this: Spoke Radio
Oh sorry, we were talking about teevee coverage, weren't we?

On 2005-02-02, hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
> cfsmtb wrote:
>> Yeah, and with the Classics, could viewers listen in to the team radio
>> as well?

> Do you know French, German and Spanish? :)

Live translations? Subtitles would probably lag too much.

Maybe hippy could type it all into Babelfish for us...........

Shabby wrote:
> Maybe hippy could type it all into Babelfish for us...........

Don't tempt me..
that'd be more fun than what I'm doing (or not doing) now. :S :)

hippy

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tony Wrote:
>>
>> But how I would love if we could have some riders picked, and we could
>> see
>> what speed they are doing on a section, Heart Rate, Cadence, Average
>> speed.ect ect. Just like they do in Motor racing, this would really
>> make it interesting to watch.
>>
>> What do you rekon ?

> Yeah, and with the Classics, could viewers listen in to the team radio
> as well?
> Overhearing tactics could be fun. Anyway Cycling Central could benefit
> by being broadcast at a decent timeslot (whinge)
>

> --
> cfsmtb

Hehehehehehe......I can just imagine, some of the other teams watching SBS
as well or tapping into the team radio(bike papperazzi) and then relaying to
their guys.(in a heavy German or French accent)."ok comrades, this is what
the green & gold is gunna do so make sure you stuff 'em up"!!

DJ

I was in Barcelona last year whilst the Vuelta was being run, and watched
the last few stages live on TV (they show them all day). I don't speak
spanish, but their commentators were a bit like Darryl Eastlake, they get an
A+ for effort! Anyhow, they had some really cool stuff on the bottom of the
screen that was there most of the time, they must have had a GPS on some of
the surrounding motorbike swarm I suspect. They had : Speed, distance to
finish and an instantaneous % gradient - and if there was a breakaway, they
had the gap in both minute/seconds and actual meters. COOL. (and didn't need
to know Spanish either)
Gemma

Tony wrote:
> Cycling is a great spectator sport, anyway the Tour De France and stuff, to
> see the pretty sceney and stuff.
> But how I would love if we could have some riders picked, and we could see
> what speed they are doing on a section, Heart Rate, Cadence, Average speed.
> ect ect.
> Just like they do in Motor racing, this would really make it interesting to
> watch.
>
> What do you rekon ?

My mate IAN to doctor after bypass surgery " my max heart rate was 170"
Doctor "You shouldnt do more than 150 "
Ian "Whats the record"
Doctor "Zero"
Dave