Well, I just had my first cup of coffee after roasting the beans as you
suggested. (I used the toaster oven; way to hot to fire up the big oven!).
I measured out my decaf beans (I used the Eight O'clock 100% Columbian I had
on hand), spread them in a single layer and roasted them at 400 degrees
until they started to crackle; then cooled immediately. Then I ground them
and brewed a pot of coffee. (I immediately noticed a change in texture of
the ground coffee; it was "stickier." Is this from oils that come out in
roasting?)
I wonder if I did this right. I removed the beans from the oven as soon as
they began to crackle. Was this right, or should I have waited until they
stop crackling? (Yes, I know, I'm an annoying newbie when it comes to
roasting my coffee beans).
While I can't honestly say that it rocked my world, it was definitely a big
improvement over using the unroasted beans. Much richer and more
full-flavored!
And one more question: If re-roasting the beans gives the coffee so much
richer flavor, why aren't they roasted twice by the companies that sell
them? Is it that the results are best when they are roasted just before
brewing, as I did?
I would love now to be able to re-visit the amazing coffee store at South
Streeet Seaport in New York City where I bought my coffee grinder about 15
years ago! They had an absolutely amazing selection of bins of every
imaginable (and some unimaginable) coffee from all corners of the world. I
was naive then and didn't take advantage of the opportunity I had then as a
coffee lover; I bought safe, familiar sounding beans at that time. Now I
wish I had been brave and experimented with the more exotic stuff!
Thanks guys!