maxo said:An Englishman on a forum turned me onto these. Commuting pedals with
three LEDs, red rear, orange side, and white front. Generate their own
juice into a capacitor.
While probably not the best idea for primary lighting, they seemed
pretty interesting:
http://www.pedalite.com/
I bought a pair of LED pedals from an outfit called www.sahalie.com for
their regular price of less than $20. My last check at that web site
seems to indicate that they no longer offer that item. I found some
mention of them here:
http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/selfpowered-led-bike-pedals-025162.php
and here: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2004/11/sahalie_self_po.php
The pedals I got had no storage capacitor; all the output from the
dynamo's coils was discharged immediately into the three LEDs on each
side of the pedals, which produced a strong pulsing effect. The pedals
had 9/16" threaded spindles, but they were furnished with some very
scary-looking 9/16"-to-1/2" adaptors. The dynamo drag was notchy and
quite discernable when just turning the bare spindles within the pedal
bodies, but the resistance to turning was not significantly worse than
that of some regular crappy pedals I've used.
I put them on my sweetie's bike, since I didn't think they looked like
the sort of heavy-duty equipment that suits me best.
They work quite well, delivering one pronounced flickering "burst" per
pedal revolution. The effect is probably exaggerated by the
reverse-ankling pedal stroke my sweetie uses.
While the pedals are not as conspicuous as a rear blinkie with fresh
batteries, they are to my eyes at least as noticeable as a non-blinking
taillight. But they never run low on juice, and you never forget to
turn them on.
Chalo Colina