Pedal problem (threading issue very confusing)

Carlbz

Apr 23, 2023
Hello and Hi to All:

I'm new here, and I read the forum posts regarding my issue, which is: The helicoil insert is too big to screw into the crank arm, and too small to fit over the pedal - what to do????

Right pedal - wouldn't screw in after many tries (clockwise btw) So, assuming that I screwed up the crank arm threads, I bought a tap 9/16 and a helicoil in order to insert my pedal. The reamer (not good with exact terms) went through the crank arm very easily (I thought that the reaming would not only change the threads, but also make the crank bigger, so that the insert fit through, but hardly anything happened that effected its size). So, like I said above, the insert won't screw into the crank, and it won't slip over the pedal. Not sure what to do because going down a size with the insert, will still not fit over the pedal? Any ideas, please????

Hello and Hi to All:

I'm new here, and I read the forum posts regarding my issue, which is: The helicoil insert is too big to screw into the crank arm, and too small to fit over the pedal - what to do????

Right pedal - wouldn't screw in after many tries (clockwise btw) So, assuming that I screwed up the crank arm threads, I bought a tap 9/16 and a helicoil in order to insert my pedal. The reamer (not good with exact terms) went through the crank arm very easily (I thought that the reaming would not only change the threads, but also make the crank bigger, so that the insert fit through, but hardly anything happened that effected its size). So, like I said above, the insert won't screw into the crank, and it won't slip over the pedal. Not sure what to do because going down a size with the insert, will still not fit over the pedal? Any ideas, please????

It sound like you bought the right fitting pedals but ruined the thread by possibly trying to screw in at an oblique angle - a very easy mistake to make and I made such mistakes before and some pedals are really tricky getting the threads perfectly aligned before your screw them in even if they're the correct size.

I don't know. It's probably best to take your bike to a LBS. Never ruined a crank thread before, though I have bought a wrong sized pedal before. However, I did buy my pedals at my LBS so when I had the slightest issue screwing it in myself just right outside the LBS, I went back in and asked for another size.

Reactions: Carlbz
Thank you so kindly for responding to my post. The dealer (China) basically said the same. He however said that I should use non-slip tape (maybe a hack) to wrap around the pedal, so that it'll screw in and stay. Your suggestion of buying another sized pedal sounds appealing, if I can get a slightly bigger pedal width that would screw into the crank. I don't know know the increments.

Latest update:

After the suggestion of the non-skid tape didn't work (after trying it, I wondered how it could've worked) the dealer then wanted to sell me a chainstay.
Originally, I wanted to glue the damned pedal, but he cautioned me against it.

But I protested against buying the chainstay because I'm only six months into my warranty,

And I complained that I had spent money on his unworkable solution (tape).

Finally , he decides to send the chainstay for free. Now, I just need to buy tools to Extract and install the new one.
It sound like you bought the right fitting pedals but ruined the thread by possibly trying to screw in at an oblique angle - a very easy mistake to make and I made such mistakes before and some pedals are really tricky getting the threads perfectly aligned before your screw them in even if they're the correct size.

I don't know. It's probably best to take your bike to a LBS. Never ruined a crank thread before, though I have bought a wrong sized pedal before. However, I did buy my pedals at my LBS so when I had the slightest issue screwing it in myself just right outside the LBS, I went back in and asked for another size.

After the suggestion of the non-skid tape didn't work (after trying it, I wondered how it could've worked) the dealer then wanted to sell me a chainstay.
Originally, I wanted to glue the damned pedal, but he cautioned me against it.

But I protested against buying the chainstay because I'm only six months into my warranty,

And I complained that I had spent money on his unworkable solution (tape).

Finally , he decides to send the chainstay for free. Now, I just need to buy tools to Extract and install the new one.

I want to thank you cobbwheels for responding to me!

Crank arm pull and installation:
There's no LBS near enough for me take my ebike, so how difficult is it to pull and replace a Crank arm? Can anyone tell me?

Thanks!

Crank arm pull and installation:
There's no LBS near enough for me take my ebike, so how difficult is it to pull and replace a Crank arm? Can anyone tell me?

Thanks!

There many different kinds of cranks and BBs (Bottom Bracket) and each type requires different steps and different tools to work on them.

I'm only ever familiar working with three-piece square taper crankset because it's the type I have on my bike. Unless your bike have the same crankset, I can't give you any helpful advice.

Yes, I understand. Not sure what this one will look like, as it's being shipped from China.

I understand your predicament. My suggestion is to confirm the thread size of the pedal and crank arm before proceeding. Using a tap that's not an exact match can worsen the issue. It's crucial to avoid causing further damage. Consider consulting a professional mechanic if you're unsure.

"Helicoil too big, huh? Should've read the instructions. Crank arm threads toast? Your own fault. Tap and reamer won't save you now."

Reading instructions is crucial. However, if helicoil is too big, it's not the end. Consider using a helicoil extractor to remove the excess material. Then, tap and ream the threads carefully. Remember, cycling requires patience and perseverance, just like solving mechanical issues. #cycling #bikemechanic #helicoil

Removing a oversized helicoil can be frustrating, but a extractor can be a lifesaver. Plus, it's a good opportunity to hone your tapping and reaming skills. Patience is key in cycling and bike mechanics. It's a continuous learning process, and every issue is a new challenge to overcome. #bikemechanic #helicoilextractor #cyclingjourney

Extracting an oversized helicoil can be a head-scratcher, I agree! But, have you ever thought about using an easy-out tool instead? It's like a ninja in disguise, saving you time and frustration. Plus, it's a sneaky way to level up your bike mechanic skills without even trying! #ninjamechanic #helicoilextractor #bikesavvy :)

Sure, an easy-out tool might do the trick, but let's not forget about the good old-fashioned method of using a punch and hammer. It might not be as fancy as a ninja tool, but it gets the job done. Plus, it's a great way to channel your inner caveman and embrace the raw power of manual labor. And hey, if you're looking to level up your bike mechanic skills, why not try mastering the art of truing a wheel instead? It's a classic skill that never goes out of style, and it'll make you feel like a true cycling aficionado. Just a thought. ️