General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Paul the Cook (or why I should never be one) :)

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 2 posts · 244 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 June 2005
Last activity
14 June 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
244
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. 'Why I should not be a cook'
    By : Paul Panks ([email hidden])

    My legacy of cooking boils down to three episodes
    of cooking "shame":

    1) Vinegar Brownies. On Mother's Day 1992, I decided to do
    something really special for my mom, Judy. I wanted to bake
    her a batch of brownies in the oven. The recipe called for
    cooking oil, but for some reason I couldn't find cooking oil
    in the pantry, so I substituted vinegar oil instead. The
    brownies cooked (and looked) fine, but upon tasting
    them they had a distinct vinegar flavor. My mom was
    impressed, though she joked,"Vinegar brownies...that's
    something you don't see every day!"

    2) Deep Fried Root Beer. I have always loved Root Beer,
    both as a drink and as a soda. I was bored one afternoon
    and decided to substitute regular cooking oil for
    Root Beer instead. But this didn't last very long...it
    sizzled on the skillet so badly that I had to turn
    the top stove off! That was my last foray into root beer
    "cooking oil".

    4) Chocolate Pancakes. I love chocolate, but have never
    had the luxury of trying "chocolate syrup" on top of
    pancakes. I decided to give it a go recently, cooking
    three medium sized pancakes and then topping them off
    with a 1.55 oz (43g) regular Hersey's Chocolate Bar
    on top. This didn't work in the skillet, so I put
    the whole thing in the microwave, with chocolate
    bar on top, and microwaved the entire contents for
    1 minutes, 35 seconds. But the chocolate only
    half melted like I wanted it to, so I put it in for
    another full minute. Strangely, after the full minute,
    the chocolate bar more or less retained it's original
    "block bar" shape, and so I used a spachula (sp?)
    to smooth out the block bar shape into a normal, smooth
    topping. The pancakes tasted "mostly okay."

    Paul

  2. Solutions to your problems :
    1. Oil is a fat. Substitute a fat (butter, margerine, lard) for another
    fat. Alternatively, in baked products, applesauce works ok as well.

    2. Again, oil is a fat, and can stand considerably higher temps than
    water-based products. Put the root beer in the batter or reduce it to
    make a sauce. Deep fry in a fat. You would be boiling it in root-beer.
    Do NOT try applesauce here.

    3. Chop up the chocolate bar and add to the pancake batter. Top with
    raspberry syrup.

    You could learn. It just takes a bit of thought when substituting.

    Dean G.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.