Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Panaracer : Hutchinson Tires

Started by Jj · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,392 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 March 2003
Last activity
21 March 2003
Original author
Jj
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,392
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Picking out a new set of 700x32 tires. I've been to a shop to check out the Hutchinson Globetrotters
    and they look good. SO far in my area I haven't been able to find a set of Panarcer Pasela. I've
    only found the Pasela online. Its a tough decision to go , perhaps, with something, sight unseen.

    One thing for sure is the difference in price. The Hutchinson are $35 and the Panarcer
    Pasela are $23.

    Any folks out there who can give a critique of one tire vs the other?

    JJ

  2. Quoted message said:

    Its a tough decision to go , perhaps, with something, sight unseen.

    It's a bike tire not for a Formula 1 car!!!!

    Quoted message said:

    One thing for sure is the difference in price. The Hutchinson are $35 and the Panarcer
    Pasela are $23.

    Any folks out there who can give a critique of one tire vs the other?

    Go for the Panaracer . I bought the 700x23 Category Elites from nashbar for $10 each (sight unseen)
    and found them to be excellent training/ everyday tires. No flats so far good grip etc. For racing
    it may be better to go with high price tires but for most of us cheaper tires are better.

  3. JJ said:

    Picking out a new set of 700x32 tires. I've been to a shop to check out the Hutchinson
    Globetrotters and they look good. SO far in my area I haven't been able to find a set of Panarcer
    Pasela. I've only found the Pasela online. Its a tough decision to go , perhaps, with something,
    sight unseen.

    One thing for sure is the difference in price. The Hutchinson are $35 and the Panarcer Pasela
    are $23.

    Any folks out there who can give a critique of one tire vs the other?

    I am using the Panaracer Paselas 700 x 32. They are really a 700 x 28. I wish I had ordered the 700
    x 35 ( 34 mm wide according to panaracer.come05linupframe.html ). I like fat
    tires for training. No need to suffer pointlessly :-)

  4. JJ,

    You might try looking on the touring groups/lists. I know that on the I-Bob list, for example,
    there's a lot of discussion about the size you're interested in. I've seen the Pasela mentioned
    often enough in recent months. This seems to be a popular tyre with people who want to be
    comfortable, rather than look racy.

    BTW, I have used Hutchinsons extensively for the past couple of years, though not in the size and
    type you are interested in. So, though not particularly relevantly, FWIW I have used the Excel as a
    general/training/high mileage tyre in 23C size and found it to be hard-wearing, if a little
    hard-riding initially (especially the kevlar version). This is at recommended pressure of 90 psi.
    They have been good at resisting what I would have thought would be certain snakebite (pinch flat)
    punctures, but seem to be less proof against thorns. But then again, I don't think there is much
    that will withstand a well directed thorn.

    I am using Hutchinson Success for road race/sport riding this year and am very pleased with the
    overall comfort. I rode with a friend who uses National products (not sure what type) and he is
    happy with them as regards ride and wear.

    From my side, then, a qualified thumbs up for Hutchinson. I use their tubes, too because I prefer
    seamless for puncture repairs.

    On an even less related matter, on my racing bike, which has short chainstays, when I use a new
    Excel the rear tyre is just about rubbing up against the seat tube. The Success leaves a fraction
    more clearance. But the 700 x 23 Conti GP3000s I bought are actually TOO BIG. They need deflating
    before they can be mounted -- and actually can't be used inflated to full pressure. Go figure.

  5. [email hidden] (Tony Doman) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    JJ,

    You might try looking on the touring groups/lists. I know that on the I-Bob list, for example,
    there's a lot of discussion about the size you're interested in. I've seen the Pasela mentioned
    often enough in recent months. This seems to be a popular tyre with people who want to be
    comfortable, rather than look racy.

    BTW, I have used Hutchinsons extensively for the past couple of years, though not in the size and
    type you are interested in. So, though not particularly relevantly, FWIW I have used the Excel as
    a general/training/high mileage tyre in 23C size and found it to be hard-wearing, if a little
    hard-riding initially (especially the kevlar version). This is at recommended pressure of 90 psi.
    They have been good at resisting what I would have thought would be certain snakebite (pinch flat)
    punctures, but seem to be less proof against thorns. But then again, I don't think there is much
    that will withstand a well directed thorn.


    OooooooooK here is an off topic question of sorts. How do I find the I-Bob list?

    Quoted message said:

    I am using Hutchinson Success for road race/sport riding this year and am very pleased with the
    overall comfort. I rode with a friend who uses National products (not sure what type) and he is
    happy with them as regards ride and wear.

    From my side, then, a qualified thumbs up for Hutchinson. I use their tubes, too because I prefer
    seamless for puncture repairs.

    On an even less related matter, on my racing bike, which has short chainstays, when I use a new
    Excel the rear tyre is just about rubbing up against the seat tube. The Success leaves a fraction
    more clearance. But the 700 x 23 Conti GP3000s I bought are actually TOO BIG. They need deflating
    before they can be mounted -- and actually can't be used inflated to full pressure. Go figure.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.