Road Cycling · Public discussion

Oversized Rear Basket and Frame

Started by Steve Schooler · · Last activity · 2 posts · 431 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
22 July 2006
Last activity
22 July 2006
Original author
Steve Schooler
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
431
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Would like to mount a 15x14 x 11(height) basket on back of my bicycle. Had a
    13 x 5 1/2 rack put on back of my (apparently standard) bicycle and used
    plastic tie clasps + bungie cords + inexpensive wire frame basket (bought at
    Target).

    Basket spacious enough for week's worth of groceries. However, because the
    frame is too small (and because the basket isn't perfectly secure on the
    frame) the groceries' weight makes it moderately iffy.

    Since I need about 4-5 inches clearance between seat and basket, I need a rack
    that is about 6 inches longer and (preferably) 4+ inches wider. Also, I'd
    like to have a basket that I can more securely mount to (this larger) rack.

    Request recommendations, websites, google-keywords, part numbers... Wish to
    avoid both front basket and side baskets.

  2. "Steve Schooler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Would like to mount a 15x14 x 11(height) basket on back of my bicycle. Had
    a
    13 x 5 1/2 rack put on back of my (apparently standard) bicycle and used
    plastic tie clasps + bungie cords + inexpensive wire frame basket (bought
    at
    Target).

    Basket spacious enough for week's worth of groceries. However, because
    the
    frame is too small (and because the basket isn't perfectly secure on the
    frame) the groceries' weight makes it moderately iffy.

    Since I need about 4-5 inches clearance between seat and basket, I need a
    rack
    that is about 6 inches longer and (preferably) 4+ inches wider. Also, I'd
    like to have a basket that I can more securely mount to (this larger)
    rack.

    Request recommendations, websites, google-keywords, part numbers... Wish
    to
    avoid both front basket and side baskets.


    Well I prefer two rear baskets, mounted down low, as it helps to keep a lot
    of weight down low.
    My current shopping bike is an old Huffy three speed with a rear rack, dual
    Wald folding baskets, and a huge Wald front basket.
    Before that I used a old JCPenney ten speed with a rear rack, and a
    extra-large metal plastic coated milk crate. What I did was use a piece of
    ..090" thick stiff aluminum plate or sheet cut to fit the bottom of the
    basket and a little extra to mount the basket offset towards the rear more
    to leave some room for the saddle. I also used some .125" thick aluminum
    strips about one inch wide under the rack (and on top of the milk crate on
    the bottom too) to drill holes through for nuts and bolts to clamp the whole
    thing down with.
    It worked pretty good, but when you loaded it up with a lot of stuff,
    balance was a lot more tricky and harder to do. One could use some plywood
    instead of the aluminum too, but you have to paint the plywood though.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.