General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

OT: To ig, try smoked cheese

Started by Bryan Schwerer · · Last activity · 3 posts · 260 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 August 2004
Last activity
23 August 2004
Original author
Bryan Schwerer
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
260
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. We were talking about this the other day and I thought about you. If
    you like cheese, you will probably like this.

    It is damn good. I have done cheddar, provolone, and swiss.

    You have to keep the temp very cool though, so it may not work on your
    grill. I usually do it in the winter time so I have outside temp
    working for me. I light maybe 3 or 4 charcoal briquets and put them
    in my fire bowl with a wood chip or 2 on it. I fill my water pan with
    ice cubes, and try to keep the temp less than 100 F. I usually give
    it about 1.5 to 2 hours of smoke. I then take it off and immediately
    cool it, seal it and freeze what I won't use right way.

    You may be able to do it in your grill by putting charcoal and wood in
    a metal bowl, plus maybe a bowl of ice around your grill.

  2. Ignoramus9298 said:

    So, you are describing "cold smoking" of cheese, right?


    That's it.

    Quoted message said:

    I have a grill with a smoker tray, but, I am not sure how to achieve
    such cold temps. With the smoker tray, the grill maintains 225 degrees
    F temperature.

    I wouldn't use a burner, but maybe use the grill as an area to contain
    smoke and hold cheese.

    Can you put a couple of lit briquetes in your smoker tray and maybe a
    pan of ice between the fire and the cheese?

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for the tip, I do not know how to accomplish that, but I will
    give it a thought! It sounds like a very good concept.

    i
    whose thoughts revolve around something entirely different at the moment

  3. Ignoramus9298 said:

    So, you are describing "cold smoking" of cheese, right?

    I have a grill with a smoker tray, but, I am not sure how to achieve
    such cold temps. With the smoker tray, the grill maintains 225 degrees
    F temperature.

    Thanks for the tip, I do not know how to accomplish that, but I will
    give it a thought! It sounds like a very good concept.

    i
    whose thoughts revolve around something entirely different at the moment

    Ig, I thought that you were avoiding dairy due to your Paleo diet
    experiement. Are you following a different version of the plan?

    --
    jmk in NC

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.